Thursday, December 27

Boundaries, the Antidote to Chaos, And the Definition Of "No"

   Hello everyone,

How are you?  I'm still sick.  I should have invested in Kleenex tissues, I'm using so many of them.  Oh, brother, a runny nose is annoying.  Nonetheless, I met with clients and cycled twenty-four miles in cold weather.
I'm bundled up as I write this post.

    Someone gave me a new tail light for my bike.  My original was taken from my bike while visitng the library last week.  What nerve.  I really use it.  I travel at night all the time.

     Tonight, riding home, the new light was used.  Without it, I feel vulnerable----I don't care to be hit by a car.  The flashing light I have can be seen a mile away.  Wow.

     I haven't researched as much as I usually do.  I'm busy seeing client after client. They piled up today. Several saw me, who normally have sessions on Tuesday, in addition to those I usually see on this day.

     But----and this is a big but----I spent two hours today, doing administrative work.  I love the clarity and order that results, when I do that.  It helps me grasp the big picture, as to the pulse and vitality of my business.

My Gratitudes for Thursday: 
1.  I cycled.
       I could have used the local train service, BART, being that I'm worn out physically.  But discharging stress was worth it, I just took it slow, leisurely riding home, allowing the dark evening to envelope me.
       I scampered up hills, rode along estuaries and portions of the bay.  I made like a kite, pushing into the wind, redoubling my efforts while lactic acids burned my weary quadriceps.
2.  The past few days, I've been in slow motion.
     There's nothing wrong with that.  I'm recovering from illness.  Pacing myself is a life saver, butterscotch flavor, even. Part of being a mature adult is doing LESS than is humanly possible.
3.  Someone wanted to change an appointment for a session that was already set.  I could not accommodate.  I had appointments before and after that time and we settled for the time arranged.

     Years ago, I would try to please. Now, I know better.  Living without boundaries is an invitation to a chaos.  She even asked me twice, asking me if I was sure.  "No can do," was my reply.

    When using the word, "No," it does not mean we are rude, selfish or mean.  It simply indicates we have a different priority than the person making the request.  For sanity's sake, it is a great boundary word we want to use often.

4. This week has sped by. In it, I've had time with family, friends and loved ones.  I've been lifted up by the love of others.  I'm exercising perseverance.  Life is good. Staying in the solution is much better than having a pity party, ruing our difficulties.

How About You? 
What are your three gratitudes for today?  I love hearing from you.

6 comments:

Syd said...

I hope that you feel better soon. You are still doing great with cycling even though sick. Hope that you had a good Christmas.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Pablo I hope you feel better and that you have a Happy New Year! Are you on Facebook?

Carl H said...

Dear Pablo,

Tonight I am grateful;

1. I could exercise the "courage to change the things I can," in firmly confronting ("this is B.S. and must stop") with jolting, cold-water language, lazy, irresponsible behavior of our #2 son, by design - in front of his deadbeat "taker - not giver" so-called friend. Taking my car without permission and then bringing it home without gas (not the first time) was the staw that...

How true it is that "we get what we tolerate."

He will not be driving either of our cars, going forward.

2. I could efficiently take some time out of my work day for a pre-operation EKG and more lab work.

3. I could exercise at the gym for the first time this week.

4. I could take care of my mom's weekly grocery shopping tonight, earlier than usual.

5. To not have to get up at 4:15 AM tomorrow, on my day off, and to be able to drive with my 88 year old mom up to my sisters new house in the lovely Sierra Nevada Foothills near Route 50, just south of Placerville.

6. Home-made warm apple pie from the trees in our backyard.

Pablo said...

Hi there, Syd,

Good to see you again. I know you visit many blogs. Thanks for making the time to comment on mine. I appreciate getting to know you better, this year, and your contributions to this blog, with your insightful comments.

You are still invited to be a guest blogger for this inn. All you have to do is write a post related to gratefulness and send it to my e-mail: pfnts@netscape.net.

My Christmas was all I desired. I spent time with my family at my place. We had a lovely time together. The love we shared was best part of the day.

Pablo said...

Dear Keith,

I'd love having you as a guest blogger, too. You certainly have the spirit. I'd also wouldn't mind guest blogging at your place, if you would have me. :->

My friend, I am on Facebook, but I rarely frequent my place. You can look me up under Pablo Fuentes.

I hope you had a great weekend!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Good for you, for standing in your power, recovery and integrity, regarding your second son.

I hope you have a special time with your mom. I'm sure she was happy to connect and have closeness with you and her daughter, and all other relatives who showed up. What did you like best about your time with her?

I'm jealous about the apple pie. Please, save me some, next time. :->

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels