Saturday, December 29

Taking It Easy ........12/29/12

    I cancelled all plans for today.  I slept.  I wrote a former friend.  I rested; slept some more, blowing my nose every fifteen seconds, when I wasn't
asleep.  This cold is tenacious----it has been clinging to me for a week.

    Left the house at ten to 11:00 p.m., before the store closed, to get more medicine and tissues.  I've gone through boxes this past week. Really.

    I pampered myself by studying ancient Greek and 7th Century Moorish history in Spain.  The later part was a bit personal as I'm Spanish.  I loved my time, digging into times long ago.  I see their practical applications  in the way I live now.

    In between studies, I let my body do its thing and doze away----in my dreams I was transported to the times I read. It was a pleasurable afternoon and evening.  I had other plans, but my body dictated otherwise.

    Part of personal growth is listening to what our "felt sense" tells us.   I did that today.  When we do, we're happier.

     We're also safer because we aren't ignoring the obvious danger signs that our conscious self is wont to do.  Being in touch with my body allows me to discharge negative residue carried within it, due to traumatic events, be they recent or from the distant past.  That happened today.

A Semi Tradition of This Inn

     At the end of the week, I often ask my guests to share their high and low points for the week. I believe in leading by example.

My High Point for this Week: 

      I've maintained my serenity, even though there were plenty of variations to my work week, due to the holiday. I kept my focus and enjoyed each day as completely as I could. (I was also happy getting a new tail light for my bike on Christmas!)

My Low Point for the Week:

      Seeing someone blinded by denial, to the point that I wrote a letter ending the friendship.  Actually it was last Saturday, but it is within the parameters of the past week.  This person didn't read it until today.

       I should be grateful. Another important letter I wrote, it took three months before it was read.  That contributed to the decline of our relationship.

       Her reply:
    
          "Dear Pablo,

That is a beautiful letter.  You have grown tremendously in you writing." 

       That was it. At least she remembered I enjoy that old-fashion salutation. It also may be this person saw I wrote her with that introduction. 


       Perhaps her response is a Proverbs 25:12  occasion. If so, I'm glad.  (I'll let you look up the reference.)


      Writing this letter, ending a friendship of fifteen years, 
was also a high point.  We get what we tolerate, we train people how to treat us.  I stood true to core values of mine.

      No, my illness is not a low point.  It's a natural part of life.  I find illness is often a good thing: it slows me down.

      It allows me to pause, which is always good.  I do not feel more alive when I am in the midst of a crisis.  I learned years ago that type of response reveals I'm still diseased with a codependent mind.

How About You? 
      What was your high and low points for this week?

9 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

My high point for the week was definitely Spending Christmas with the family. The low point was this bronchitis that I can't seem to get rid of :)

Naz said...

Παύλο! It's been a long time! I have been studying and rehearsing and playing and travelling and all sorts of things! I hope i can find some free time for my blog in 2013! It was great reading about you. I really do hope you feel better though! Glad you're studying ancient Greek and the history of Spain! Good luck and keep going!
Greetings from Greece my friend!

Pablo said...

Dear Loredana,

Un augurio di buon anno nuovo. E' sempre un piacere avervi caduta nelle vicinanze. Grazie per aver reso la mia giornata!

I appreciate your ideas. I completely forgot about taking Vitamin C. I bet it's much colder where you live. The weather where I live is always moderate.

What did you like best about your Christmas? Thank you, for dropping by, reading and commenting!

Pablo said...

Keith,

Good to see you. How was your best friend, your sister? Did you leave Ruby at home? How long does it take you to make it to your parent's place?

I'm sorry to hear about your bronchitis. I thought I had it bad. You have my prayers for a quick recovery.

A Happy New Year to you, my friend. Thanks for making this place brighter, with your presence!

Pablo said...

Nalia, σπούδασα, και πάλι, για το μεγάλο πόλεμο μεταξύ των ελλήνων και των Περσών. Μια συναρπαστική επική, συμπεριλαμβανομένης της κατορθώματα του Λεωνίδας και ο 300 άνδρες. Είμαι υπερήφανος για την 700 Thespians που έμειναν στο τέλος, πάρα πολύ.

I'm glad you dropped by! It's great seeing you, again.

Someday, I'll be in Greece. Perhaps you we can have some coffee, along with the friends I'll bring.

It's great hearing you are living your life completely. I wish you a fantastic New Year!

Carl H said...

Dear Pablo,

I am very happy you stepped off the pedals to mend your cold; absolutely the right thing to do. Robitussin cough syrup and Extra Strength Thera-flu Nightime work best for me. I'll do the same with my new New Years knee from Wednesday.

My high for the week was Christmas eve and day with my wife, sons and Mom.

My low was a moment of petulance with our #3 son we are still processing. The good news here is that we are handling the discussion and solution with dignity, grace and principles of recovery...a far cry from my own family legacy, and from how we tended to handle incidents in the recent past.

THREE CHEERS FOR PLACING PRINCIPLES ABOVE THE VULNERABLE AND FLAWED PARTS OF MY PARENTAL PERSONA!

Naz said...

Well, that was impressive και πολύ ενδιαφέρον! I really enjoy studying history, it's exciting in a way. I'm glad you feel this way about it!
Coffee in Greece sounds like a great idea! Let me know!
I wish you a great 2013 full of love, joy, health and pleasant surprises!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

I'm hoping your surgery went well today. I prayed for you. Here's to hoping a quick time for your recovery.

Glad to hear about your growth as a parent!

Pablo said...

Nalia,

There is so much to learn and apply from history. Your culture is magnificent.

Wishing you a great semester in school. Have you performed in any plays, lately?

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels