Saturday, July 21

Speaking Up and an Evening Adventure ..............................7/21/12

This is the Harbor Bay Portion of Alameda. This point is about six miles from where 
my adventure happened. The barely discernible jagged edged horizon, to the right of
the sunset, is the skyline of San Francisco.  
       Good evening, one and all,

I had the bejesus scared out of me tonight. I'm still sore from what happened.
I'll get back to that in a minute. First, a rundown about my Saturday morning.

       I met with friends in the morning. Being with them is good for me. I usually give, when I'm with other people. It's the nature of my job. I'm in a helping profession.  This morning was a time for me.

      While with my friends, I piped up twice. I'm glad I did. One person, I'll call her Barbara, was being excluded; she wanted to express herself and was ignored. I spoke up, mentioning her need.  The host of the event felt wrapping up the event was more important. I disagreed.

       I believe the process of how something is done, and consideration of all involved, is as important, if not more important, than any agenda or protocol. Those there concurred with me, to the chagrin of the person guiding our time. "Barbara" said her piece. Her comments were worth my taking a stand, publicly.

      In the afternoon, I spoke with another person who was at the morning event.  I was taking in the day's paper at a nearby cafe when she showed up at my table.  Being engaged in a meaningful conversation, especially with someone new, was fun.

      I always learn from others, if I keep an open mind. Our mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open. However, I don't want it so open that my brains fall out. lol

      Several times this week I was fortunate to have dialogue with others. On several occasions, it was through correspondence.  While intense discussion can be invigorating, it can also be exhausting.  It important for me to live a balanced life, making sure I take care of myself, otherwise my energy gets depleted, fast.

      I enjoy hearing from you, when you write, either here, or through e-mail.  Connecting with others is terrific. I don't grow or experience growth by isolating.  Relating with others expands my world. Ideas are learned that I would not discover if I stayed to myself.
My Gratitudes for Today:
1. I felt good standing up, for an overlooked person this morning, when I was with a group of friends.
2. We spoke on making amends.  I'm thankful for the feedback I got about what I shared. One point I mentioned is that we don't do it for the other person's sake, alone. We do it for our equanimity. Amends free us from the dragons of guilt and remorse.  Emotional and psychological baggage is released when admitting our wrongs to the offended person.
     And, it doesn't matter how the person we hurt responds. Again, we make amends for our sake.
3. After the event this morning was over, I had a lovely conversation with a woman who was there. I offered empathy to this shy, intelligent person whose humor is hilarious. Three times she teared up, while talking about meaningful, dramatic, positive experiences from her past.  I saw she needed a hug and offered one, which was readily accepted.

       Hearing people talking from their heart is an amazing gift, not taken for granted by this innkeeper.  It ended up that she offered me a spontaneous present that was in her car, when we went outside to head our separate ways.

       Moments like these are a kisses from God. I've gotten a lot of them this week. It certainly added deposits into the cockles of my heart.
4. The conversation in the cafe with the unexpected guest was wonderful, too. Life is good when positive moments fill my day.
5. I'm getting more fit. More about that in the story below.
An Adventure On Two Wheels
       I've been riding my bike, a lot. Last month I rode over 600 miles, 966 km. It's helping me to return to the shape I had when younger.  I was an avid athlete for many decades, participating in organized sports from elementary school through college and beyond.

       I've run four marathons and 10K races (that's 6.2 miles).  I'm still pretty active, my sons can't stay with me, when we ride, if I ride full out.  It is getting even better. And this evening, I thought it was paying off.  More about that in a moment.
The Bay Bridge, not the Golden Gate Bridge, showing off, wearing its necklace of lights. 
       Tonight, I rode twenty miles.  At one point I rolled into a very strong wind, about, 20 mph, for five miles straight. It was great! The necklace of lights on the Bay Bridge could be seen and the City by the Bay (San Francisco) stood behind it, twinkling in the distance.

      The winds embraced me as my bike and I pierced the blustery evening breath of the San Francisco Bay.  As I rode along the shore, it sounded as if the waves were not slapping the coast. Instead, I could swear I heard the waves whispering to me that they were glad I was back, visiting them.  It had been a few days since I've gone out in this direction.

      Pitch dark surrounded me as there is no lighting out on this path along the shore pictured below. The headlight I use is not like that of a car. It's a small light that sends out a narrow beam eight feet before me, just enough so I can stay on the road. Enveloped in darkness is a little spooky. But, that's okay with me, it's different, or so I thought. The crescent moon beckoned me, as it hung over the San Francisco peninsula on the west.

      Man, was I living.  At night, I wear glass-like goggles that wrap around my face. They protect my eyes from wind. Attached to them is a miniature side mirror.  I kept looking behind me to see if anyone was creeping up on me. Tonight, I sensed a primal, uncomfortable, feeling.
I was further west of this channel, on an embankment, when my adventure occurred
      Well it happened. This powerful beam closed in on me and began following. A cyclometer on my bike allows me to know how fast I am going. I pushed my bicycle trying to create separation with this strong light that followed wherever I went.

      First, I got my bike up to 25 mph, then 30 mph. The light steadily traced my path. Digging deep, I reached 35 mph.  Fortunately, the wind was to my back, helping me to scoot, when I really needed to. The silent pursuer persisted in sticking to my back wheel.  Wherever I veered, it veered.  I couldn't shake it.  They got close enough that I heard two voices. I thought, oh my, I'm going to be mugged!
   
      The idea of going over an embankment, into the bay crossed my mind as one possible escape. Pushing the pedals with all strength, I made a severe right turn.  The vehicle still edged on my tail. Keep in mind I was not on a public road. This was on a narrow asphalt trail, away from civilization. If I got in trouble, no one would hear my cries for help. A hill was on one side and the shore of the bay on the other.

       I had enough. What was creepy was that the vehicle behind me was itself entirely silent. No pedaling sounds, no roar from an engine.  In desperation, I pulled over to one side of trail and stopped.

      That's when it happened.

      Soon, I'll tell you the rest of the story.

6 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

Whoa!! I am so captured by your story, I cannot wait to hear more!

Gratitides for today. My cup spilleth over. I am feeling full, complete, juicy with life. Tomorrow is my first day back at work after this paradigm shift. I hope the good feelings continue!!

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo, You should write for those British/BBC period-piece murder mysteries they air on PBS Sunday nights! Thousands are now tuned in for tonight's episode!

Today I am grateful;

1. The art of storytelling and suspense is still alive and well here at the Inn!

2. For light rush-hour traffic through the tunnel from the East Bay Area to Walnut Creek where I could visit my aging Mom tonight to serve her dinner and catch up a bit.

3. For beautiful driving music such as Bob Dylan's "Slow Train Coming," Crosby Still and Nash's "Wooden Ships" and "Wasted on the Way," Mark Knopfler and James Taylor's exquisite "Sailing to Philadelphia," possibly one of the finest guitar-driven duet's ever recorded, with a bit of history as well!

4. To come home to a peaceful home where our youngest son (19) is cooking a civilized dinner with civilized friends, who are picking away; jamming on their guitar's in a civilized manner - surprisingly refreshing for Northern California college students!

5. That YouTube has so many fine music video's we can share with each other, for the joy of all.

6. That I can look forward to meeting with friends, and my mentor to share in healing fellowship three nights this week, and maybe even catch a film together at week's end.

Anonymous said...

Dear friend Pavlos,
I thought it was wonderful standing up like this for Babrara. Your behavior towards people fills me with hope about mankind.
I am so excited about the story!

1. I am grateful for opportunities and for being so lucky.
2. Grateful for health. Mine but mostly my loved-ones.
3. I am grateful about the beautifully amazing dreams i have every night!

Pablo said...

Vanessa,

Thanks for your encouragement. How has it been for you at work, now that it has been a few days since you posted your comment?

Are you still feeling good?

A curious innkeeper.

Pablo said...

Carl,

It makes me feel good that this story caught your interest.

How is your mom doing? What do you like best, when you are with her?

I've only recently realized how much you are a fan of music! I like JT and CSNY, too, along with Joni Mitchell, Carol King and Frankie Valli, if we are naming oldies.

Perhaps I can drop by and jam with the musicians at your home.

Your life sounds very rich, I'm happy for you. Has it always been this way?

An inquisitive innkeeper

Pablo said...

Nalia, my friend,

So good to see you! I'm glad you like my story, too. Wow.

You don't know how happy it makes me, to see you post three gratitudes. I'm doing a happy dance.

Have you been able to perform music, lately? If so, how is it going?

Can you share one of your dreams with us? I'd love hearing more about them. :)

Thanks for dropping by! Hope to see you, again.

Pavlos, who likes Attic and Classsical Greek.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels