Sunday, July 1

Being Completely Known and Loved Is Possible


     Good evening,

How was your weekend? I was unexpectedly sick yesterday. It was no fun. I took the day off, staying in bed for the evening, going to bed, early.
My Gratitudes for Sunday:
1. I really like the comments you are leaving. Thanks! I'm getting inspired by them. I'm sensing that we are catching the vision of this inn.
2. God working in my life, is something I look forward to, this week. I'm glad He is in control, orchestrating events. There's more to the unfolding of life than my limited perspective can see.  This is definitely a week of Letting Go and Letting God.
3. A transparent conversation with my middle son, Micael, was an unexpected treat yesterday. I'm happy with the support he offered yesterday and value his insight.
   
      I met with friends yesterday morning. This was before getting ill at noontime.  Hearing people moan and groan is common to hear when with a group of others. It's the default mode for many.

     You know me. I prefer focusing on the solution. I made several comments. I shared how it's simple to not discuss the soul killers, when with friends. I can and do. As a result, I don't suffer from depression. That's what have support from amazingly loving people does for me. I am known and loved for who I am, not who I appear to be.

     The following I wrote as an edited version of reply I wrote early yesterday morning, at an other blog. The person shared a quote from someone famous, Yates. It was:
  "If my work has a theme, I suspect it is a simple one: that most human beings are inescapably alone, and therein lies their tragedy."
My response:

Yates' comment is interesting. And I differ. I love being alone, but I've never been lonely. I find loneliness happens when we cease to be at peace with ourselves. 
Because of the nature of my work [I am with people all the time], I relish time alone. It allows me to sort out not only my thoughts, but my feelings and my connection with God and his will for me. 

 I was not in agreement with Yates statement. I did not say he was wrong. I just see things differently.

Her response (I'm leaving it up to her, if she wants to identify herself), and I like this woman, was:
I was just reading about Delacroix, who wrote in his diaries "It is one of the saddest things in life that we can never be completely known and understood by another person."

     Thanks for the dialog. I'm not in agreement with Delacroix's perspective.  Along with Yate’s comment, it is bleak. I didn't say it's inaccurate. I just see the same circumstances from a different, exciting, positive perspective.
     ...I believe intimacy is possible (er, I refer to that of the soul, spiritually and emotionally, not sex).  And, we can be known; it can be a wonderful relational dance, shared with another.   You know, I'm the attitude of gratitude guy, so I see the complexity of others and myself, and getting to know another, as a positive.... [opportunity].
      What a mine of discovery, relating with another can be! ... It requires discretion. I don't open up with just anyone. I filter those I allow into my life, using boundaries. 
      This permits me to let the safe people in and keep those who aren’t, out.  Boundaries work like a door. For more about that, you might want to check out this post I wrote about character discernment.  Here’s the link: Character Discernment: Necessary for Healthy Relationships
      Once I'm satisfied I'm not relating with a narcissist, toxic individual, or an emotional bully---and I like the person---I slowly unfurl, like the petals of a flower greeting the sun. What an amazing gift an excellent, nurturing friendship is.
     They take time. The race doesn't always go to the swift. There's more to life or relationships than immediate results. Patience brings its gifts, if I'm willing to enjoy the process.
     I love the word intimacy. It comes from two Greek words. "In" which means in, and timao, which is defined as to revere or fear. When we are intimate, we are within one other's fears.  The other person will not betray me, nor I, them by using them against each other.
     It is a safe environment, each providing the other with the gift of unconditional love and acceptance. Wow. Yes, it's rare, but possible.
     I enjoy such relationships. They heal my soul, spirit and mind. For more about the distinction between these three parts of us you might want to check out my post "An Un-American Concept, We Are Primarily Spiritual" 
     In such a context, “becoming completely known” becomes a luxurious banquet. Intimacy is a joy, no longer fraught with fear or nervousness.  I am accepted as I am and so are they.
     We comfortably discuss true soul killers, supporting each other. There’s a depth plumbed within each other that is exhilarating and fulfilling.  The real us, warts, pimples, boils, and all---steps out and is embraced. The result is wholeness, lightness and deep, joyful, satisfying intimacy.
      So, it was with this recent letter in mind, I spoke what I did when I was with friends yesterday morning.  They probably didn't know what hit them, although several approached me afterwards and  said they appreciated what I shared.
     Okay, it's time for bed. I value your prayers and I'm struggling with an issue this week. I've facing a challenge that affects me emotionally.  I appreciate your support.

4 comments:

aileen said...

Perspective definitely impacts and informs perception. My 3 gratitudes of Monday:

Very thankful for the various practioners who donate time and service to the health center I recently learned about and the guidance and supportive work that I've received from them there.

That the recent service call to update modem equipment in my apt. was fee free.

Grateful to be asked to bring my admin skills to bear on piling up paperwork for a friend undergoing medical treatment. The income will come in handy for upcoming bills and other expenses.

Mos of all I am grateful that my Higher Power does for me what I cannot do for myself, deepening my capacity for asking the Creator for help, believing I will receive it, remembering that I have asked and that my job is to let go and be alert to God in action.

Have a great tomorow and peaceful tonight.

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo,

Thank you for your post...

My (belated) Gratitude's for Sunday, July 1 are;

1.That this glorious 30th Wedding Anniversary Day has come and that we have weathered many a storm together as husband and wife; heartaches, disappointments, unexpected drama, trauma and illness on many levels - physical, emotional and spiritual.

2. That the wrenching dibilitating, immobilizing pain in my lower back today (Sunday) when I woke up is waning. That I can see the way through it to progressive mobility, today and throughout this much needed and anticipated mini-second honeymoon, Asilomar getaway and 4th of July holiday weekend.

3. That I can be grateful for pain as a wake up call and reminder that sometimes there is karmic or psychic atonement I need to encounter and endure, as I pass through life on this temporal, earthly plane.

Pablo said...

Aileen,

Happy to hear from you. I love hearing about your deepening faith.

Thanks for dropping by!

Pablo said...

Wow, Carl, it sounds like you've had very challenging times.

I bet you are glad you can get away and spend time with your wife.

I'm not in agreement with your statement about karmic atonement, however.

I believe that if we acknowledge where we need to grow and take steps to move in the right direction, we don't have to always anticipate punishment. Usually those areas where we need to grow is our punishment enough, as it is.

Thank you for sharing what's going on in your life. I appreciate your honesty. It's refreshing and improves the quality of this inn.

A grateful innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels