Wednesday, July 4

Celebrating The Fourth of July, the Comfort of Family & Painful Fireworks of Another Kind .......................7/4/12


     How was your Fourth of July?

For us here in the United States it's a grand day. I tasted a big portion of Americana this
morning. It fed parts of me I didn't know were hungry. Some friends and I, for two hours, watched a parade held in the Island City of Alameda.

     It was fun and emotionally moving.  Best, was watching children "ooh" and "ah," as the floats went by and seeing them run after the candy, t-shirts, water bottles and beach balls tossed from those riding by.

     Before it all started, observing a dog nearby caused me to smile. Its owner was a curbside spectator, sitting in a director's chair. He had a foamy, circular, orange Frisbee-like thingamajig that he tossed into the sky, while waiting the for the parade to start at 10:00 a.m.  I got a kick out of the dog, chasing after it and then, with both of his hind feet---he made like a kangaroo---leaping into the air, snatching the orange item with his mouth. The rest of the crowd liked the canine performance, too.

     Young parents and their tykes, adolescents and people from every other age group, gathered for the event.  I saluted every veteran and soldier in uniform.  I caught candy tossed my way.  I noted how horse "issues" were resolved after they passed. One of those cleaning up even wore a human sized, floppy-eared dog outfit.

      Our country is not as old as many, but I'm glad we celebrate and honor the sacrifice required for its creation.
My Gratitudes for Today: 
1.  I had an accident for the third time this year, while riding my bike.

      Ouch. My legs are mottled with scars and bruises. My wheels got caught on some recessed, abandoned train tracks and I flipped with my bike on to the asphalt street.

      Several cars stopped,  the owners rolled down the windows, asking if I was okay. I was laying in the street, on my back, rolling from side-to-side, writhing in pain.  The discomfort initially took my breath away.  My right knee throbbed. I landed on it, along with bracing my fall with my outstretched arms.

      Fortunately, I was riding along with my son, Micael. That helped. He held my bike, so I could grab it, pull myself up, and get up from being sprawled out on the street.  I didn't want my clothes permanently pressed by passing cars.

     On the journey home, I pedaled with one leg. I couldn't move my right knee.  The trick was pushing down, then reaching underneath the same pedal with the top of my left shoe and pushing up. The things you learn when you have unexpected surprises.
    a. I'm grateful I didn't shatter my knee. Whew!
    b. I'm thrilled the gloves I wore prevented my hands from splitting open, like last time, when I fell while riding at 27 mph.
    c.  I'm happy I was going only 8 miles an hour. A turn, I was making.  My tumble wasn't as bad as it could have been.

2. I loved watching the parade. I liked the interaction with those standing by I didn't know.  The mood was festive and there was plenty of good will.
3. I'm thankful for pain relief pills and the ice bag that was placed on my knee tonight.

      I was happy spending time with family, especially after my accident.  We improvised. Our original plans changed. I could not stand (today I can). We read a favorite short story from Tolstoy,  "What Men Live By," followed by dinner at home.  I enjoyed the discussion we had after we read.
      Tonight, with my family, I stayed home. We watched an old film directed by Alfred Hitchcock. I became so comfortable while watching it that I napped. That was good for my leg.
      There is a heck of a lot of good things to say about the comfort of being with family, especially when things go painfully wrong.
How About You?
1. How did you celebrate the holiday?
2. Who or what comforts you, when you need it?

2 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

I loved your story of the parade you watched, I felt like I was there with you - including the horse "issues" haha

Up here in Canada we celebrate our country a few days earlier but at these festive moments, I am amazed at the children - their wonder and innocence astounds me.

I hope you will heal quickly from your fall. What comforts me is hugs or being held. I linger in these moments longer than usual lately.

Pablo said...

Hi there, Vanessa,

Well, the "issues" did issue from the horses. :)

Hugs are terrific. Here, I'm sending one to you via this inn: {{{{hug}}}

Today, on Sunday, my right knee hurts, if I keep it in one position. It's locking up on me. I slammed it right into the asphalt, when I was thrown from my bike. Ouch.

The good thing is that I did not shatter it. Whew!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels