Sunday, July 15

Hope For Dark Times, Part III ...............................7/15/12

“Laugh, even when you feel too sick or too worn out or tired. 
Smile, even when you're trying not to cry

 and the tears are blurring your vision. 
Sing, even when people stare at 
you and tell you your voice is crappy. 

Trust, even when your heart begs you not to. 
Twirl, even when your mind makes no sense of what you see. 
Frolic, even when you are made fun of. 

Kiss, even when others are watching.
 Sleep, even when you're afraid of what the dreams might bring. 
Run, even when it feels like you can't run any more.
And, always, remember, even when
 the memories pinch
 your heart. Because the pain of all your experience is what 
makes you the person you are now.   And without your
 experience---you are an empty page, a blank notebook, 
a missing lyric. What makes you brave is your willingness
 to live through your terrible life and hold your head up 
high the next day.  So don't live  life in fear.  Because you are 
stronger now, after all the crap has happened, than you ever 
were back before it started.” --― Alysha Speer
    Good evening everyone,

How was your weekend?  The weather has been gorgeous, my baseball team is winning again and life is good.

My Gratitudes for Sunday:
1. My leg is almost back to normal after slamming my knee into a street a week and a half ago, when  thrown
off my bike. The ligaments in my knee were awfully sore. The front wheel got caught on old railroad tracks recessed on an asphalt road.

      I'm glad I didn't shatter my leg, and the injury wasn't worse than the pain I feel.  I appreciate my physical well being more than I did before this accident. Yesterday, a U.C. Berkeley visiting professor from Israel was killed while riding his bicycle, eight miles from where I live.  It is sobering reminder that being careful is critical when I cycle.
2. I love the town where I live. It's a beach town on an island, the homes are beautiful and the people living here are friendly. I like the ease and comfort of where I live.
Therapeutic "Alone" Time
        I had "alone" time today. I've said this before, but it is still true, I've been alone but I haven't been lonely, since I was fourteen. I find loneliness happens when we cease to be at peace with ourselves.
        I enjoy solitude. Often, I have many thoughts racing through my head. Time alone helps me air them out, be it on my guitar, through writing, studying, playing the piano, cycling, writing or spending time with God.
       Today, I used such time to mend a windbreaker I wear when biking. I've had several accidents---three since March---this year.  In the process, I created souvenirs with said jacket, reminding me of these events. Today, those dramatic remembrances are gone, bringing a smile to my face.
       I  like detailed work, like meticulous mending. It's a form of meditation. My mind becomes entirely focused on the task at hand.  It was a great way of slowing down life's pace, allowing me to breathe, think and stay present, seeing awe even in something others would consider mundane.
 Gratitudes 3-5:  I'm grateful for time alone, a positive attitude towards a practical task and for my life slowing down as a result.
6.  I look forward to where God is taking me, professionally. I don't hold the future, but I do know the Person who does. There are several options I'm considering. I'm mindful of a proverb:
"The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."   Proverbs 16:9
Trust In God
It's Scary, But Better Than the Alternative
         I'm thankful I've learned that worry avails little.  When I am anxious, I'm thinking about the future and I have a problem with trust (faith).  I'm glad that eight years ago, I grew in my relationship with my Higher Power, God as I know Him.

         The slogan, "Let Go and Let God,"  I apply.  Slogans are intense bits of wisdom in a nutshell. This one reminds me I'm powerless over all the nouns and pronouns in my life, all the people, places and things that could easily get my mind and spirit caught up in the swirling vortex of anxiety, if I relied upon myself to take care of everything.  God has done---and continues to do for me---what I am unable to do for myself.

         My relationship with Him provides me the sanity and serenity I've sought since youth.  Best of all, it's not based on outward circumstances.  It's built upon my relationship with Him, a God who loves me, even when I feel unloveable, fumbling, fearful, lost, patched together with string.

         Boy am I glad.  And, because I know His love, I have an Attitude of Gratitude.

How About You? 
1. When do you feel lonely? 
2. What do you like to do, when you are alone?
3. What does the slogan "Let Go and Let God" mean for you? 

4 comments:

aileen said...

Hi,Pablo,

First off, I want to thank Carl, an Inn visitor,for the very nice piece he shared with us. It was an unexpected audiovisual delight!

Grats for Monday:

Noticing the positive effect some specific supplements are making in my life toward improving the quality of same. So grateful for the naturopathic doctor providing direction for me in this area.

Grateful to be experiencing increasing mobility and lessening of constant low back pain due to spinal condition. I do believe at some point I will again be able to experience my days andd nights without any pain anywhere in my body.

Grateful for the healing that I am experiencing as evidenced today when I met a situation that nearly threw off my entire day. I was able to persevere and had a day far more successful than it would have been in the past.

Pablo, so enjoy reading about the times you have w/your son and that you have found cycling a joy on many levels. Thank you for creating this Inn from which many receive uplift and food for mind and spirit.

Blessings to all!

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo,

Thanks to Aileen for your kind note re; the video. I'll send others the Innkeeper's way, so he may post as appropriate.

Thanks Pablo for your reflections on the value of quiet, personal time. Even taking time to read your thoughts helps us all to slow down! Quiet, alone time in the garden at dusk or dawn with a good coffee (tea for some) and book, or blank page to write, journal or list can be soothing as well. Seems we are given the gift of a "blank page" each day, and the freedom to choose how we wish to fill it.

Today I am grateful for;

The fresh, chilled mint-water with dinner, made with mint from our garden.

The Peet's Coffee that was unexpectedly on sale tonight at the grocery store.

The theraputic effect of cleaning the granite kitchen counter top with glass cleaner and paper towel. I started dancing with the temptation of being upset with family for not doing same (...doesn't anyone else see this...how many times have I asked them to do this, blah, blah, blah!), but then caught myself and silenced the dance band in my head! I decided to be grateful I could give myself some "free, home-made" therapy, and enjoy the shiny aftermath. A good lesson learned to close the day with.

Pablo said...

Hi there, Aileen,

Wasn't that video great?! I agree with you.

I'm glad hearing your pain is lessening. I'm doing a happy dance for you!

Kudos to you, it seems that your recovery is increasing your ability to stay present, not as rattled, when monkey wrenches are thrown in the path of your day. Ya ay!

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, this is an inn for gratitudes. I'd be remiss if did not share how cycling is doing wonders, not only for my stress, but for its ability to increase my connection with friends, nature, God, and family.

I'm happy hearing feedback like yours. It means a lot to me. I would like to encourage all readers to let others know about this encouraging inn that exists in cyberspace. I believe many could benefit from focusing on the positive.

I trust that you and others may be used to get the word out! :)

Pablo said...

Hello Carl,

It would be terrific to get additional videos. You can see many liked what you already gave me.

I enjoy your posts, at times, the poetry embedded in them increases my love for this language.

Wow! Happiness requires very little, Abraham Lincoln said, it's all in our way of thinking. I like how you turned an area of frustration into an opportunity for meditation. I did the same as I mended something recently. I actually enjoy it when I get into a state of awe with a routine that can easily be overlooked, or done with disdain.

I nurture myself, when I open myself to the wonders---great and small---that each day presents. Thank you for your wonderful example of this truth!

I appreciate your honesty and authenticity, Carl. Thank you!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels