Wednesday, July 4

Celebrating the Life All Around Me This Evening

My Gratitudes for Today:
1. On this birthday of this nation, I'm thankful I live in the United States. I'm proud being an American.
    I live in a great country and I'm happy doing my part to
make this world a bit better.
2. I'm grateful for all the men and women who serve our country through military duty. I honor those who gave "the last full measure of devotion" to uphold our country's values.
3. I appreciate the freedoms I enjoy as U.S. citizen.
4. I love the city and state in which I live. The town I live in is vibrant and safe. Everyone is kind and friendly.
Celebrating the Life All Around Me This Evening
        I'm thrilled I cycled for twenty-three miles, even though I was tired before starting. I love riding for miles along the shore of the San Francisco Bay. Fireworks from the Oakland Colosseum lit up the sky tonight as I pressed on with my journey.  That was surprising, in that it was a day early.
       I'm thankful for the solitude involved when riding for one hour and sixteen minutes.  I wore sport glasses that work like goggles. It was wonderful having the coastal winds blow in my face without it affecting me.
       I was able to keep my eyes completely open, admiring the beam of moonlight that danced upon the bay. It kept me company, following me, everywhere I went on two wheels this summer night.
      Whenever I'm done riding, I have a new, wind-blown artistic hairdo. A cap, I don't wear. It's my Hollywood look.
      The smell of kelp, the crashing of waves, the sound of surging bay waters moving through the channel leading to the San Leandro Bay and hearing the cries of birds was a tonic for my soul. The wheels to my bike danced, shimmying in loose sand, when I pushed my pedals, applying torque.
      I saw couples snuggled, clutching one another on the beach and friends and families together, camped out on Alameda's bridges. They gathered to watch the fireworks from Oakland. Tonight's celebratory air provided a wonderful dance between nature, my community and me, as I cycled away the stress and frustrations of this week.
How About You? 
When and where do you most the great big life you have?  I certainly did this evening, riding throughout my community. I also find myself immersed in life when I am in an intense, but supportive conversation with a friend. 

4 comments:

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo,

I enjoyed your pre-July 4th post last night, and echo your sentiments; your love for our nation, our legacy and sacrificial military women and men. Also, your poetic descriptions of cycling make me look forward to cycling again soon!

My Gratitudes for today are...

I am grateful to have been away for three days with my wife and several couples celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary (July 1) in the Pacific Ocean fog, and occasional sunshine at Asilomar (State Beach) in Pacific Grove, between Monterey and Carmel; a glorious, historic (in the Julia Morgan Arts & Crafts style...), former turn-of-the-century, YWCA Camp and now rustic yet modern conference center. The food, fellowship, deep one-on-one sharing, strolls by the beach at dusk and evening board games in the main lodge by the crackling, aromatic, field-stone, fireplace give rise to many fond memories.

I am grateful we could become more deeply acquainted with some good, dear friends, and make new, lasting friendships I'm sure will lead to many more dinners, getaways, retreats and quality couple(s) time together.

I'm grateful to find some immediate and deeply satisfying answers to concerns about how one builds deep and lasting friendships in our faith tradition. These past three days helped solve that mystery via reflections on our shared spiritual path; experiences alone, as couples and as (often challenged) parents; our common journey; past, present and shared future hopes and dreams.

I am grateful we couples resolved to make this anniversary retreat an annual Asilomar tradition!

I am grateful for one more day off from work to float back down to earth (as the helium-high of these past three days escapes from our shared balloon); back to the real world, from the raw, untouched majesty of the Pacific shore.

Finally, I am grateful for this cool, rustic, stone-walled country inn where we can all find a safe harbor; refuge from the crashing waves and gale-force winds of life's daily tempests. A warm, inviting place where we can scribble our gratitude's in white or colored chalk, if we wish, on the blackboard of your cyber-living room wall, before collapsing in relief in the comfort of an overstuffed fireside chair!

aileen said...

Hi, Pablo,

In addition to intense, supportive conversations w/close friends, I also enjoy the surprise phone visits "to just say hey, I was thinking about you and just wanted to hear your voice." In reflecting on the great luck of the draw of being born here, I came to appreciate the many plain and simple priveleges, pleasures, gifts, blessings I enjoy...daily.

My gratitudes today include:

Appreciation for the security on so many levels and in so many ways I enjoy living here, and the cost of freedom in life and limb, now and since the recorded story of humankind, for the opportunity to enjoy the fruit of faith and sacrfice of the people -lovers, spouses, siblings, relatives, friends and our other loved ones -in present and past service in the armed forces.

A wonderful day in which I got some studying done, a decent breakfast, treated to a movie (one of my all time favorite things to do and miss doing on my austerity budget)and then a nice little drive (another scaled back pleasure) to spend the afternoon w/fam, friends, good food, conversation and a relaxing time all around.

Trust you enjoyed fireworks either live or via the airwaves!

Life is good - and YOU are a part of that goodness, Innkeeper!

Good night!

Pablo said...

Carl,

Maybe I can get you to go riding with me. :)

You had a lovely place for celebrating your anniversary. Congratulations on thirty years of marriage!

You described this inn the best of anyone. Thank you so much, your depiction of this inn is exactly right, I could not express it better.

Pablo said...

Aileen,

I like your positive outlook. I'm in agreement with you: I too am indebted to the many who have served our nation, preserving its liberty.

It sounds like you had a fantastic day!

Thank you for the compliment. It means much, even though it made me blush. :)

The blushing innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels