Tuesday, July 31

Great Works Are Performed By Perseverance, Part II .................... 7/31/12

 Don't wait for extraordinary [or golden] opportunities.  Seize common occasions
 and make them great. Weak men wait for opportunities; strong men make them.
                                                                                                     Orison Marden
        How are you? Did you have a good day?

The upcoming month, which starts in a few minutes will be perhaps the most challenging I've ever
had, in years.  I'm sorry to say you may not hear from me as much as you are accustomed. I like my work as innkeeper but I have pressing issues needing attention.

       I've been prolific---writing 444 posts in fifteen months, roughly 27 a month, almost every day.  Banging out on my keyboard as much as I have, I never imagined, when I opened this inn.  I like it; it's been good for me. As a result of this place, I have two editors working with me, culling from my posts, looking at putting together a book.

      I've gotten to know many wonderful people as the innkeeper. (Did you ever wonder how I came up with the innkeeper idea?  There's a story behind my job title.  Ask me.)  This week is an excellent example of that.

      Today, I got a letter that was gratifying. I was moved to tears, in a good way. That doesn't happen often. It was from one of the guests to this inn. My correspondence with several of you has enlarged my community of friends. Thank you, for being you and allowing me to be a part of your lives.

      Tomorrow, I have work to do. It's different than my normal work which usually involves seeing clients.  But it is necessary. I'd value your kind thoughts, but especially your prayers as I, with God's help tackle challenging issues.  I'm powerless over my vulnerabilities.

      God isn't.

      I'll rely on His strength to push forward, even when emotionally I don't want to.  This is placing principles above my personality.  In recovery, this is called Tradition 12.

      I know I can't become the person I want to be, or have the life I want to have, by remaining the way I am.  Like the quote underneath today's picture, I need to seize common occasions and make the most of them.  It isn't easy.  But success, or achieving anything worthwhile, is never easy.
*****************************
      This evening, I got tremendous support from my middle son, Micael.  That's right, that's how it's spelled, with an accent on the e.  I'm a lucky man to have genuine friendships with my sons.  That's not a given.  I'm grateful that each of them care to connect with their dad and love me as much as they do.

       Micael and I had an in-depth conversation. I was almost brought to tears, again. I was moved by his loving and giving nature. Our time spent, and the letter I received today were two kisses I received from God.
My Gratitudes for Tuesday:
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." 
1. Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.  I'm thankful that my relationship with my Higher Power allows me to accomplish more than I could if I relied upon self-sufficiency and reasoning alone.  Spirituality is humbling: every step is a step of ego destruction:
a. Realizing my powerlessness is humbling, but necessary.
b. Seeing that my life is unmanageable.
c. Coming to terms that I need a power greater than myself, that can restore me to the sanity and serenity I seek.
d. Turning my will and life over to this Power.
    Gosh. These realizations deflate my ego, but necessary. As the quote states, seeing my spiritual bankruptcy is necessary before I can see the world with new eyes and experience a deeper, more textured richness to life.
2.  I appreciate the love I receive from others.  It humbles and encourages me at the same time.  I'm thankful for the letter I received today and my time with my son, Micael.
3.  I made several phone calls related to my business.  I'm leaning into the headwind of unpleasant work that needs to be done.  It's in my best interests, making these calls.
4. I look forward to taking my bike for a spin tomorrow.  I'll ride with a friend.  I can't wait.
5. I'm enjoying a developing relationship with a friend.
6. I'm thankful for each of you who drop by.
How About You?
1. In what areas do you need to persevere?
2. Where are you experiencing powerlessness?
3. What is your relationship with your Higher Power?

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Pablo,

Now you have us all curious about what is coming up for you in your life! Also curious how this post will end...

Today, I am grateful for;

1. Breaking away from an unhealthy/toxic conversation to trim my fingernails (in the other room); strangely meditative moment of self-care.

2. For your funny comment and commission; "Attitude of Gratitude Inn Award of the Week!"

3. Warm moments with my sons today.

4. A delicious dinner salad with chicken, feta cheese and raspberry dressing, with iced coffee, in our backyard garden, in the cool, pre-dusk evening.

5. Being able to do some recovery/healing homework and reflection late in the evening.

6. A new John Mayer album (Born and Raised) and song "Shadow Days," whose lyrics I found very moving today. I'll share some in part here;


"Hard times have helped me see...

I'm a good man, with a good heart
Had a tough time, got a rough start
But I finally learned to let it go
Now I'm right here, and I'm right now
And I'm open, knowing somehow
That my shadow days are over
My shadow days are over now."

Good night and God Bless...

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

As you can see, I finished this post. Good for you, you took care of yourself. You deserve paying attention to your needs, no one needs to accept unacceptable conversation. How does it feel, nurturing yourself by having a quiet time?

The description of your meal is mouth watering.

John Mayer's words indicate he may know recovery---good for him!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels