Wednesday, August 1

Photo taken with my mentee's smart phone. The moon is being coy, hiding behind a mast.  I
love the color of the sky.The water was placid, like my spirit, today. I love the old boat on
the far left .Made in the 1950's.
        Good evening, one and all,

Today, I was unusually energized, encouraged too.  Refreshed and more
hopeful than normal, while visiting with you tonight.  I'm a pretty happy guy to begin with.  It's an unusual experience, being supported, loved, cared for and understood as well as a person could wish.

       It's wonderful, laughing for joy, falling to sleep with a smile on my lips.  That happened last night. I let pleasant thoughts and special moments tuck me into bed.

      This happens when I am bathed in time spent with excellent friends, with those who offer reciprocity, mutuality, compassion, understanding and tenderness. I'm a fortunate man, blessed even.

       No one can meet our needs, if we don't let them know what they are.  I risked recently. It paid off handsomely. As a result, I'm finding changes transpiring within me.  In fact, I've been inspired, even writing poetry, something I once did with regularity. My heart has been lifted by the support of dear ones. Am I glad.  :)
"Like calls to like, we are met by the traits we show. Where love will find a friend, hate will find a foe."  Edgar Guest, "Like Calls to Like"

         By now, you know me pretty well: four hundred and forty-four posts in fifteen months have left enough bread crumbs to create a trail to my heart and character. I appreciate your visits. I like having readers from many countries who drop by routinely now. Thank you for making this place the community it is.

         My friendships undergird me in ways I'd never know, if I lived in isolation. Once again, I like what Drs. Cloud and Townsend say about this in their book Safe People:
     "Welcome your needs, shake hands with them. They are God's way of extruding you into relationship with his Safe People."
          We were never meant to live alone. The trick is avoiding those who want to exploit us. This is where character discernment is key. Abusers can smell us through lead. Yes, lead. When they mistreat us and we tolerate it, we signal our vulnerability.
*****************************
          I rode my bike with someone I mentor. He's improving as a cyclist. His speed more than doubled. That's great. He rolled right along with me as we scooted around the island city of Alameda.  Marinas, sailboats, dog's swimming in their life jackets, a full moon, lavender skies and my mentee's smile brightened and filled my evening with joy.

          Staying with me, while we rode, we conversed while passing docked boats, estuaries, pretty women and rolled through tree-lined streets. Little kids we were on the lookout for---we didn't want to crash into them as we cycled through Crab Cove, Crown Beach and a bird sanctuary along the South Shore. We rolled by Spanish styled homes with tiled roof and many Victorians in this quaint but friendly town. Several greeted us as we pedaled along. I wish you could have joined us.

          We ended up at Juanita's Mexican restaurant, helping ourselves to a combination meal. We rode fifteen miles in an hour.  I enjoy our time together. Today's was even more special. After our meal we went to the Grand Marina and discussed the nature of his childhood spirituality, something we had in common. As he revealed his family history I marveled at the open nature of our conversation and his increasing strength, while dealing with multiple challenges at home.
A portion of the Grand Marina
          While we talked, boats skirted by, their sails puffed out by the gentle but steady wind. The canvas covers to the boats adding splashes of color. The diagonal lines of their ropes counterbalanced the smooth waters and horizontal lines of the nearby docks.

          The full moon flirted with us, her beam on the water, pointing directly at us, trying to capture our attention.  In the background lay the Oakland hills and the skyscapers of downtown.
My Gratitudes for Today: 
1. The feeling I get after exercising. Cycling is so fluid. Running for decades makes riding a bike almost effortless.
2. Tonight, as my mentee's coach, we did interval, speed work on our bikes. We sprinted for short distances before settling down to our normal pace.
3. The person I was with did well today, while riding. I'm proud of him. He was the oldest teenager in Alameda today. :)  I was the second oldest.
4. I'm smiling more. I was happy today. I'm enjoying life in the midst of several demanding circumstances.
5. I love my books. I'd die without them.
6. I look forward to God's help as I deal with unpleasant issues tomorrow. I'm glad that I'm not alone. My Higher Power isn't God alone.
         I'm not being sacrilegious, when I say this. I experience a power greater than myself, when I learn from others, when I hear things that I would never have thought of.  This happens when I surround myself with healthy, positive, dynamic individuals who want to move beyond their misery, individuals who are doing something about their circumstances, applying healthy principles instead of complaining about their problems.
         It's not that unhappy people complain. It's that complaining makes unhappy people. We may not be able to change our circumstances but we can control how we respond to them.
How About You?
What are three gratitudes you have for today? I'd love hearing yours.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels