Friday, August 10

Connecting With My Guests: I've Been Out of the Loop ..............................8/10/12

From within its walls did many of today's events occur, and yesterday's, too.
    Good morning,

Did you miss me? Late last night I arrived at home and conked out. I was beat. I'm up early.  Soon, I'll  head to a business meeting, another attempt at building my practice.  How was your Thursday?

    I rode multiple miles yesterday, using my bike.  On top of that, I met with a company where I might provide my services.  Afterwards, I went to the DMV (the department of motor vehicles, for my guests who don't live in the U.S.), an experience in itself.  By late night, I felt as if I was walking through
water, everything was in slow-motion.

      Yesterday morning, I was calmly busy before starting the day.  An interview on the horizon, I flew down the road on my bike,  heading towards the local metro train service we call BART.  This is not something I've done before, ever---joining the morning crowd of commuters.

      As a writer and counselor, it was fascinating, the snippets of conversation overheard on the train while having my bicycle in one hand, and grasping an overhanging strap with the other.
 
     "Oh, you learn how to pretend that you care," said one young lady, an assistant manager at a bank.
 
     "I'll be there in a minute," a cool-looking dude, replied on the phone. He wore gold-tinted sunglasses inside the non-sunny train.  He didn't get off for twenty minutes. Even then, he still faced a walk or taxi ride before he would be anywhere.
 
      Many passengers isolated, using iPods, detaching from others. Some played with smart phones.  Me, I watched the naked ape, a complex and sometimes confusing creature.

      His seat, a man offered, when two nuns, wearing habits boarded the packed train. One of them had a beatific smile every time her eyes connected with this gentleman.   Before getting off, she approached him, thanking him for his act of kindness. What an impact small acts can have.

      A woman I knew got on.  Over to my seat, she plopped down. She wore braces on her teeth. We chatted, my recounting intense comments she shared two years ago, when we both attended a social gathering.

     She asked for my card, requesting that I speak at a conference happening in a couple of months, before a group of legal professionals.  I will.  That's something I enjoy doing.  (I'll also speak and teach at a peace conference next month.  I'll be on a panel and will give a workshop on forgiveness and non-violent communication.)
My Gratitudes for Friday:
1. Yesterday, I received a gift.  Generosity---from a person I barely knew, touched me deeply. It amazes me how God kisses with his love in unexpected ways.
2.  Upon opening the gift, I cried.
     The giver asked me to not open it until I got home. Yes, this is a gratitude.  I'm thankful for sensitivity towards my feelings.  I'll live longer and am less stressed because I'm in touch with my body.
     I learned years ago that it requires great strength being vulnerable.  Anyone can be tough, living within the coffin of self-protection. That's true, but living in such a confining state also prevents said person from laughing all of his laughter or crying all of his tears, experiencing life fully.
3. I'm glad spending time with you this morning.  Yesterday, I was out of the loop, I crashed when I got home, unable to post because I was counting sheep jumping over a fence.
4. A dear friend, Stuart, has been an enormous support this week.
      He provided clarity when I had none. I, frazzled by circumstances, benefited from his loving insight.  He guided me as I wrestled with the demands of dramatic week. Thank you, Stuart. I'm a lucky guy, knowing you.
5. This week has been perhaps the most difficult of the entire year.
     I'm deeply thankful I've learned to be gentle towards myself.  Treating myself in this way made for smoother, more tranquil days. It allowed me to think clearly.
     Contributing to my own emotional safety is a good practice for developing serenity.
6. I lost my sunglasses. I use them all the time, especially when cycling.  Losing them yesterday, on the train provided an opportunity for me to practice self-love, forgiving myself.
"Condemning my imperfections has never enhanced my appreciation of life nor has it helped me to love myself more." 
                                         Courage to Change, p. 19
How About You? 
Please, may I ask you to share your gratitudes? All I ask is for three. You'll be glad you did.       

5 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

Gratitudes

My hard work paid off. I am now in a good enough place to go to the Edmonton Folk Music Festival - my church, my place of worship, my sacred space of people and love and light.

I am blessed to have family that worries so much about me. Their love is not un-noticed.

I am grateful for the meetings I had at work. I was able to tap into places in my brain that were locked for the past year - AMAZING!!

Thanks for your post today - I used to LOVE commuting on the bus. It was so full of potential stories and ideas and the people watching helped me to meditate silently, un-noticed.

Vanessa Higgins said...

I want my Dad to read your blog - he is an atheist and I DON"T WANT TO CHANGE HIM, but somehow I think he will connect with your writing. He is a sensitive man and an avid cyclist at the age of 62. I love him dearly.

Carl H said...

Tonight I am Grateful;

For song; music, lyrics and performance, even paired with majestic video footage that helps me believe again in magic and miracles, and moves me to tears.

For true and genuine friends that trust enough to open their heart, share their hopes and dreams, and value my feedback. I spent such interactive time with a mentor and friend yesterday.

That I now understand more clearly the value of caring for myself with rest, exercise, good food, and joyful fellowship with true friends.

That I could swim, soak, sweat, repeat, come home to a quiet, safe space, eat salad in the garden, ponder the loaded yet still green fig tree (purple when ripe in a month or so...we have rip figs into December here in Northern California!)

That its Friday night and I did not have to be anywhere; no meetings, no obligations. I'm sure we an all relate that that!

That two of my sons called today to check in, on their own...

That we can be far enough beyond a three year funk to host a birthday party for a friend and 5 or 6 other couples tomorrow night!

That we have this Inn to remind us of what we are grateful for today!

Pablo said...

Dear Vanessa,

Let me know how you enjoyed the festival. It must feel good, the support you have from family.

I'm glad you like the episodes I'm sharing about my adventures on BART,the metro train system we have here, in the Bay Area.

It would be terrific having your father as a guest of this inn. As Innkeeper of this inn. I grant him a month's free stay---he can stay in the room of his choice.

Dear Vanessa's dad,
Please note the offer I just mentioned to your daughter. Feel free to sit near the fireplace in this lodge or enjoy our library. The views from the inn's windows are lovely too.

I'll even lend you a loaner mountain bike.

The Innkeeper
P.S. I welcome your opinions on anything posted in this place.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Good hearing from you! Music is an amazing language, isn't it?

Isn't it fantastic, no matter what age we are, we can continue to grow?

Did it add to your tranquility, having a restful Friday evening? Your rest on Friday appears to be a lull before the storm of a busy Saturday. I hope you survived.

Thank you, Carl, for sharing your gratitudes. You add much to this inn, when you do!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels