Wednesday, August 15

The Innkeeper Is Loved by Others and Is Venturing Into New Areas, Geographic and Emotional

Where my friend and I rode today. I like the urban forest in this part of town.
    Good evening,
I'm tired again. Tonight, it's a good tiredness.  Last night, I slept well for the first time in a long time---I woke up after eight hours, feeling toasty and rested.

    Today, I made lunch for a guest who dropped by. His enthusiasm for what I cooked made my efforts a pleasure.  In the afternoon, I met with someone I mentor.  A vigorous bike ride, was had.  I couldn't shake him---he stayed right with me.  :->   I feel the effects of
going all out, as I check in with you. My legs, seven hours after the fact, have that delicious feel they get after having been fully taxed. Hurray, for discharging tension!
This is one area where I tried "ditching" my friend. Alas, he stayed with me. Darn. We
 rode along the path on the left. The wind on our backs, we moved at 28 mph. (45 kph)
     My cycling companion is getting better. However, while riding the sand dunes along the south shore of Alameda, he did a face plant into a licorice bush.  I didn't see the event, but I did have to wait for him, I was further up the coast.
Cycling in this area did wonders for my soul. 
     We rode in a place I only discovered recently.  It's in Alameda. I've leaving several photos here, to give you an idea of the ride we took.  I was thrilled to find it again.  It's location is tricky---it's inside a labyrinthian part of Harbor Bay, an uptown section of this city.  I was happy and serene while cycling there with my friend.

    Weeks ago, while spying maps of the town, scouting for other areas to ride, I saw lagoons in another part of the city.  I was unsuccessful in locating them until this past Sunday.  I'm grateful for the gifts that persistence brings.
      Man, is the place beautiful!  Blooming plants along the shore, exquisite homes line the water, the trail is tree-lined, an urban forest. The waterfront meanders, a feast  for the eye. The tranquil water, the geese, boats floating by and the quietness of the place slows my heart rate.  Rolling on two wheels provides a smooth, fluid connection I don't get when running or walking.

     As my friend and I biked, we discussed the latest and greatest thing happening in my life.  I'm pretty excited about it.  It is amazingly comforting having a friend with whom I can open up and share what makes my heart sing.  I'm usually the one who encourages, when relating with others.  It's fantastic being on the receiving end.
My Gratitudes for Today: 
1.  I'm still happy about a letter I wrote yesterday.  Connecting with others, in a heart-felt way is fulfilling. The openness shared with the other person is refreshing. The honesty, kindness, intelligence and vulnerability we have in our correspondence satisfies my soul.  Optimism is also important, though.
2.  I'm finding myself in places, emotionally, where I haven't been in long time.  It's great.
3.  I had dinner with my cycling companion.  We dealt with a gamut of issues, but before we tackled his concerns, he demonstrated his love for me. He produced homework he had done on my behalf, regarding something that has gotten my attention, something important to me. It means much to me, how he wants me to be happy.
4.  I value my dinner companion's insights and the labor of love, done on my behalf. He put together his insights and observations regarding a vexing challenge I'm dealing with.
5. The weather today was marvelous.  It was a perfect day for riding a bike.  It was in the mid 70's with a cool breeze, no humidity.
6. Exercise discharges much stress. I'll sleep well tonight.
7. Today, I had much to do.  I was realistic with what faced me this morning.  I set reasonable goals. I'm glad I am gentle towards myself, exercising self-love.
8. This evening I met with fifteen friends. It was good seeing them. Hearing what's going on in their lives reminds me of the progress I'm seeing in mine.
9. I'm happier, more than normal. I like it. It feels good to feel good inside.
10. I shared with someone special parts of who I am that I don't reveal to many.  It's satisfying relating with someone I trust.  Better yet, this person likes what I've been sharing.
11. I was honored by feedback I've been getting.  I'm glad for the positivity I enjoy in my life. I'm happy that I'm making my life count. I'm thrilled that I'm enjoying the Great Big Life that God wants me to have.
How About You?
What is making you happy? 

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Wow, you really get around that island! Beautiful place! Who would not want to live there! Great photo's! Is your friend a young man like you or an older fellow! Sounds like you may have worn him out!

My (post-dated) Gratitude (one big one...) for Tuesday, August 14 is;

1. What seemed the voice of God unexpectedly speaking through our 3rd of 4 adult sons during a family dinner. He said,with calm, love and grace (so unlike his past self) so many things my wife and I desperately needed to hear and receive from each other, but could not! He shared some realizations, (recovery) since being "moved out" of our home and into his own, new-found world of "experiencing the natural consequences of his own decisions, in real-time." He talked about lying in bed one night and realizing; "boy I really messed my life up!" This is huge for him! That is sabotaging via partying and rage fueled acting out, his marriage and close relationships with family and friends. He realizes now how much he loves this house (our home) and all who abide here; his family. He said being finally alone, lonely and on his own helped him realize what he'd had, and what is valuable. He encouraged his older brother who is going through 2-3 years of recovery himself, to leave his home comfort zone; doting parents, and get out on his own. He said he will never be able to fully heal (recover) as long as he is home, being "taken care" of. He reminded us that he/they are "adult sons," and that they "became our equal," (or should have been treated with the dignity and respect as such - my words...) when they turned 18, which is also true. He was honest and direct and yet gentle, avoiding the five life alienating communications; shame, blame, fear, guilt and judgement. It was both breathtaking and humbling for both my wife and me; a genuine high, and "Mother of All Gratitudes" to date!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

The guy I ride with is the oldest teenager in Alameda, he's forty-plus in years, but a swell guy.

It's amazing when we experience our Higher Power at work. It appears that he showed up and spoke through your son.

You must have been astonished hearing your son speak as he did. Hopefully, the message he shared fell upon attentive ears!

Thank you for your enlarged gratitude,

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels