Sunday, August 26

A Fantastic Way to Start the Week ...................8/26/12

The majestic view I had tonight.  I love the skyscape!
Image: "Wetlands: Winter Winds" by Tim Blessed. Copyrighted photo. Used by permission. 
          I got in about an hour ago. Sumptuous days like today are divine. It was rich, varied, physically demanding, emotionally rewarding, intellectually stimulating, pleasant to my eyes, and serene.  It's hard
topping a day containing these qualities.  Can you see why I'm filled with gratitude?

         I cycled through Alameda, Oakland and San Leandro late this morning, to meet with friends. The weather was lovely, in the mid 70's with a fresh bay breeze. Time spent with these confidants was inspiring.  I shared how easy it is, surrendering our serenity.  I mentioned what I do to prevent that from happening.  Many resonated with the subject, adding their thoughts to the conversation.

         When our time was over, getting plenty of hugs was a wonderful bonus. With three individuals, I had one-on-one conversations.  Later, I even cried.  I didn't plan on that. But, they were good tears.  I enjoyed speaking Chinese with one friend and Spanish with another.  I love belonging to a great group of friends.

         After everyone else had left, one friend and I spent an hour, processing her painful relationship with her mom.  I empathized with her; this is when my tears flowed.

        Ideas expressed got her excited. They were practical actions she will try.  I'm proud of her.  It amazes me, the deep love she gives not only to her kids, but to her nephews and nieces who are almost like her children too. And she's a single parent.

        She's a great success in my book.

        Today, I invested in myself, going to the local library, studying there for an hour and a half. It seems that when I'm in one, I get more accomplished.  What I learned was great: the need for bonding with others. That doesn't happen with online friendships, sorry. Bonding happens when we take risks, where we get to know others and are known for who we truly are.

       Vulnerability is a skill that opens the heart for healing to take root.  I am thankful for having good emotional connections with caring friends, my Balcony People. I was with some of them today.  But, it takes work and involves risk, grace, truth and time.  I am thankful I can be open with friends.

       I've learned that it takes strength and courage to be vulnerable.  Anyone can be tough, living within the coffin of self-protection.  I have difficulty relatiing with people who are glib. They may say clever comments and be impressive with smart ideas and wordplay, but such conversation means nothing, if it doesn't come from the heart.

       I stay away from such people. The costume jewelry of pretty baubles of thought that lack authenticity, empathy and vulnerability have no attraction.  For me, substance always supersedes flash.  Honesty is preferred to the shiny entertainment of clever, but empty words devoid of true intimacy.

       Today, while in the library, I took a look at intimacy, our need for it, what prevents it and the traps we can fall into if we still see life through distorted thinking. "To the extent that we continue to see the world through our childhood eyeglasses, our past will be our future."  Henry Cloud, Changes That Heal, p.83.
My Gratitudes for Today: 
1. I am happy I rode my bike forty miles today. (64.4 km)
2. I loved every second I was on my bike, especially part two.
This happened after I got home. I dropped off the groceries I purchased, changed into my riding clothes and rode for another twenty miles in the Harbor Bay area of Alameda. Is it beautiful there.
    The delicious soreness in my legs is great; they were taxed.
3. Part of my ride involved going through a shopping center.
      At one point I was careless and stopped my bike one half an inch short from going down a set of stairs.  I'm grateful for brakes that stopped my bike smoothly.  I was paying attention to two guys smoking. That distraction almost had me splattering down a set of stairs. Was I lucky!
4. I love riding along the waterways in the Harbor Bay portion of Alameda.
5. I heard the skipping call of a bird that I startled---its flute-like voice skipped for four beats. It was a pretty bird song.
6. The water level along the San Francisco Bay was high. The low-lying rocks along the shore, where many usually fish were submerged beneath waves today.
7 The deep sounding thuds of water crashing along the dirt banks were sometime only a foot and a half away from my bike, the water was rising up to me!
8. I loved the half-moon and her beam cast upon the bay waters.
9. I composed a song today. I had fun spending two hours working on it.  I'll still have to work on it with my guitar.
10. I'm delighting in a deepening relationship with several good friends.  I love the healing power that bonding provides me.
11. I was nourished by the fellowship I had with friends this morning. Connecting with others, seeing their smiles met my need for closeness and community.
12. I appreciate I cried today.  They were happy tears. Expressing my emotions is a great gateway for relieving stress. I'll sleep well tonight: in addition to tears, I exercised for more than two hours.
13. I'm excited about something new that is happening this week!  I going to visit with a friend this week. It will be fun, different and a special moment. I like this person's personality.
14. I'm speaking at a conference on September 15th. More details to follow. You are welcome to attend. It will be in San Leandro.
15. I'm speaking also in Hayward this Friday.  Public speaking is something I enjoy doing.  It's something I've done for twenty+ years. I'll speak on feelings.
16. My need for growth and stimulation was met as I was able to spend time researching today. Few things make me happier.
17. I'm happy with life. I still face stresses, big ones, but I will not surrender my serenity. Never!
How About You?
I've shared my gratitudes, what are three of yours? This is a terrific way of starting your week on a positive note.
     I look forward to hearing from you,

4 comments:

Carl H said...

Beautifully written! We could easily visualize and join you on your latest journey. Would love to hear your song! Maybe post it on YouTube, and it might go viral; millions of views! Hope you write your autobiography one day; could give hope to millions!

Today I am grateful for;

1. The magic cortisone can do for a worn out knee. Taking time to take care of my health today was important. Also, grateful to be humbled by my knee; that it is speaking to me through pain and limitation, and I'm finally surrendering (my pride and stubbornness) to it, and listening to its plaintive cries for liberation!

2. The good news my bike is fixed so i can ride it (gently) soon.

3. My youngest sons budding, platonic friendship with a fellow choir, singing, music making gal pal. No strings (except guitar...), no pressure, no expectations; just simply friends. But what a marvelous foundation for the future; whatever it does or does not hold.

4. The gift; the blessing of vulnerable, trusting, sharing friendship when invited to participate in another's unfolding quest for genuine love and happiness.

5. That I'm reminded that I don't have to become impatient with myself, or beat myself up over the seemingly "quicksand slow" progress of my daily affairs. "Progress Not Perfection" today gives me pause, comfort, perspective and time to exhale and let go (of allowing myself to be driven - to extinction)!

6. Re; #5, Grateful I don't have to do it all today. That tomorrow is another day to get stuff done, in its own time.

Pablo said...

Carl,

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Writing them is therapeutic for me. It provides clarity for my thoughts.

For now, I'm still working on the song I composed Sunday. The setting, along the shores of the bay, on a moonlit night, inspired me.

I'm sorry to hear about your knee. Your son's friendship probably reminds you of your younger years. I bet you are encouraged that he's taking his time with his new friendship.

"Breathe" is a good slogan, along with "How important is it?" when we find ourselves tried by circumstances and the demands of time.

Wishing you a great second half of the week.

Pablo

Anonymous said...

Greetings Pablo,
I was so excited to finally find the link to your blog again! It's been such a long time since we've chatted. So, how is my friend the innkeeper doing? From the tone of your blog, it looks like you are as eloquent as ever. You have such a poetic way with words. I just love the relaxed tone of your musings. I can almost feel the salty breezes and feel the sun on my face as I read your writings.

Hoping we can chat again soon. CindyR

Pablo said...

Greetings Cindy!!

What a pleasant surprise it is, hearing from you. I've missed connecting with you. Thank you for dropping by.

So many things have happened since we've last talked. Here's my e-mail address, just in case you need it: pfnts@netscape.net.

If you read my latest posts, or check out my archives, you'll get an idea what's happening with me.

Let's arrange a visit, we can use FB to chat or perhaps talk by phone. It's hard to believe it's been years since we met in Hollywood! If I'm ever in Indiana, I'd enjoy some of your rhubarb pie. :)

Thank you for making this day better, with your note.

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels