Sunday, August 12

Saw Friends, Deeply Loved, Growing As a Person, Avoiding Emotional Vampires and I'm Happy ..8/12/12

Across this estuary is Alameda Island.  This is Shoreline Park, an area I passed 
today.  I often sit at that bench to the right of the lamp.  It looks out upon the 
view revealed  in the next picture. 
     It's that time again. I'm tired. But, not so exhausted that I can't
share gratitudes. I'm almost up to speed. I was worn out by last week. This morning, I rode through three cities on my bike.  I went to visit friends I haven't seen in four months. They missed me, I got plenty of hugs.  Afterwards, I visited with one of them for one-and-a-half hours. The time was rich and wonderful.

     When we were done, I could have returned home the way I came.  Instead, I chose to take a route that added twenty  more miles in the opposite direction.  Cycling further south, I caught up with the bay. I took the SF Bay Trail northwards, riding along the shore, heading towards the lovely island city of Alameda. This ride was different from other long rides.  It was the first time I had a fifteen pound satchel of books slung over my back.

      Adding to my difficulties was a lack of breakfast, lunch or dinner. During my ride I was famished, weak. Fortunately, I had two apples.  The hot weather revealed a need for a second water bottle rack to the bike. I was out of water by noon. I rode until 5:30 p.m. this evening.  I was parched, hungry and worn out, but my soul, eyes and mind were happy.
       A pleasant ride along the Alameda shoreline on a sunny day with clear views. Excellent views toward San Francisco and the Peninsula. A highlight was a hawk that landed in a tree near me looking for a ground squirrel lunch from a tree, but instead found a flock of crows who chased it away.

      The weather was warm for our neck of the woods: in the 80's. I'm a golden brown, as I pen these words. Reaching the Harbor Bay area of Alameda, I rested at a bench that faced the bay.

      The view was stunning: San Francisco was across the bay waters, sitting on the water's edge. The incoming clouds blanketed the peninsula and further north, low-slung clouds streamed underneath the Golden Gate Bridge, covering Alcatraz and Angel Islands.
Harbor Bay portion of Alameda at sunset.  This point is about five miles south of 
the second picture in today's post. This afternoon, I sat at a bench, with this view. 
      The waves hissingly laughed as the Pacific wind tickled them, pushing the water towards the shore. Birds flapped and then were no more.  Ice plant and foxtails edged the water.  Fishermen sat along the rocks, pictured above, waiting patiently for their catch.  The promenade had many people walking their dogs.  Helmeted kids skated by or rode bikes with their parents.

      Opening a book, I studied, enveloped by a delicious cool, kelp-tinged breeze that made for a lovely warm day.
My Gratitudes For This First Day of the Week:
1. For my health. I rode for four hours today, all told.  It required effort.  The difficulty was temporary, but the beauty I witnessed will be etched in my mind forever.  I love celebrating life.
2.  I'm happy.  I'm enjoying special relationships.  This week several people assisted me as I went beyond my comfort zone.  I'm doing more, travelling more and opening up my heart in special ways.
3.  I thank God for his provision, in many areas of my life.
       I was encouraged by the many ways I was helped by numerous people this week.  Through them, I grew in understanding areas that pained me.  I received support and I'm trying to make sense out of relationships that are moving to new levels.
4.  There's one fellow who has been a tremendous support.  His encouragements have propelled me into areas neglected, for a long time.
5.  I'm thankful for deepening relationships and the excitement they bring.  Connecting with others provides greater strength than I could ever have by living in isolation.
6.  I am happy I speak my mind and get clarity.  Better yet, I'm thrilled that I've learned how to express myself while still being courteous and kind towards others.  The person I hurt the most when I'm angry is me.  I'm thankful for non-violent communication.  It allows me to communicate with dignity.
7. I love reciprocal relationships.  The insights I get from friends, their love and kindness has been intoxicating!
8  I'm am deserving of love and attention.  I've been getting plenty of this lately, especially from dear friends who mean a lot to me.  I'm glad.  Frequently, I give of myself to others.  It's the nature of my work.  Love from others recharges my emotional batteries.
9.  I cried twice today; they were good tears.  It happened as I shared tender stories about my sons to a new friend.  I'm relieved when I discharge deeply held feelings.
10.  Several friends hugged me this morning.  They missed me and made me feel welcome and treasured.  I'm a lucky man.
11. While basking in the gorgeous day along the shore, I wrote a poem.  It's been a long time since I've done that.
Looking Forward to the Future
      Yes, I'm experiencing many pressures.  But, I also have the best pressure relief valve in the world.  I have an intimate relationship with a loving God who is deeply committed to my welfare, excellent friends who are considerate, mutual, not narcissistic---they do not continually dump their woes upon me. They care about my needs, too.
      I've learned to beware of emotional vampires.  Women who are such creatures are guaranteed  one fourth of a date with me.  I'll take them home way before our scheduled time. Who wants to be with someone who drains our vitality?
      The women I know smile, enjoy flying kites, hiking and nature.  We have engaging conversations over tea, listen to live music and enjoy discussing books.  They also enjoy studying, growing and admit when they are wrong.  I'm a lucky man.
How About You?
What three gratitudes do you have for the beginning of this week? 

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo,

Beautifully, no gorgeously written! Bravo! We Inn visitors are saving our sheckel's to buy your book one day!

On this finally-cooling Monday night in the SF Bay Area, I am grateful...

1. Our 13 friends; several couples had a good time at Don's 61st birthday party we hosted in our breezy, hillside home in Castro Valley on Saturday night.

2. That our dear Omma; aging Korean Lady-Guru/Mystic Grandma figure, could hold court after dinner, during the party, sharing her wisdom of and for the ages, while some of we the less mystical could break way for an intense yet rousing game of Rummikub, or Tile Rummy. (Invented by Ephraim Hertzano, a Romanian-born Jew, who immigrated to Mandate, Palestine in the early 1930s. He hand-made the first sets with his family in the backyard of his home. The game combines elements of rummy, dominoes, mah-jongg and chess. Hertzano sold the first sets door-to-door and on a consignment basis at small shops). I love this guy!

3. Our close friends, Joel and Mary from Aetna Springs, Pope Valley wine country over the ridge from Napa Valley, could spend the night, sleep well and meet their daughter for breakfast in Berkeley on Sunday.

4. That our #2 son could return from 2 months of home remodeling work in Virginia with his older brother to return to school, a new job, and to the hard but rewarding work of building his post-marriage break-up future.

5. That there could be relatively little drama around his return and resettlement. Of course his younger brother, our #3 son needed to "disrupt" a bit, with some last-minute, late-night scheduling needs.

6. That I could chisel out a much needed 3-hour nap after a busy party-hosting weekend, little sleep last night, and a tiring work day.

7. That as a believer in true love, hopeless romance, and the essential role of Cupid in modern life, I can support a dear friends intrepid venturing into that curious, mystifying and sacred realm!

8. That..."The seed of true love, once planted, never dies."

Pablo said...

Carl,

I apologize for not replying sooner. Thank you for your kind words. I know you party must have been a success. With your warmth and positivity I sure everyone felt at home at your place.

I'll have to try Tile Rummy sometime. I've never seen it played.

A lot is going on in your life. Take care, make certain that you continue doing your swimming, sauna and napping routine. I know it invigorates you and eliminates a lot of the tension you face.

Knowing you, I'm confident you'll create boundaries to protect your emotional welfare and let you know how to respond and not react to son #3's shenanigans.

From your last comment, I see you are a romantic at heart. Good for you!

Thank you, for your gratitudes!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels