Friday, August 31

Courage Faces Fear and Thereby Masters It, Part III 8/31/12

    Good morning everyone,

I'm up early. It's 4:30 a.m. I already made and ate breakfast, along with getting some studying in.

    I have an island of skin removed from my
right upper shin. I tumbled off my bike. Again.  It's painful becoming bike smart.  The hard way, I'm learning what not to do, when cycling. This time, I rolled with my bike---not the conventional way, ---sideways, the final result was the bike landing on top of me, an interesting experience.

    I have a bone bruise in my left forearm. This happened when I braced myself as I fell, preventing my face from kissing the road. There's continual stinging from said leg, as it tries to close up the gap of skin that I left on the asphalt road, when I greeted it with kaboom.

    Yesterday, I went to bed at 2:30 a.m., having worked on a power point presentation.  An opportunity was presented at 5:00 p.m the day before---with the condition that I needed to make my pitch at 8:00 a.m. the next morning, Thursday.

    I rose at 6:00 a.m. and was at the business door at 7:45 a.m., ready.  I'll find out the results next Wednesday.  Yes, that was three and a half hours of sleep.  When I got home last night, I made like the faltering plane I was and crashed and burned upon my bed.

*******************************

     Carl posted this in a recent comment.  I believe it deserves a higher profile so here it is:
      My gratitude for today is  liberating and educational…I am grateful for having a difficult conversation with my boss, one I was both fearing and avoiding!  To my surprise, it went smoothly.  Faith vs.  Fear can be very real. 
    I am the only non-Japanese sales person in a seafood company, the only non-Asian in my office.  It turns out my new boss is shy dealing with me, not hostile after all.  He knows his predecessor and I were close, he did not quite know how to relate.
      Toward the end of the work day, he asked if I was tired.  These guys work 11-12 hours a day---thinking it’s normal.  Yes, I was bushed!   I took that as a hint to engage him.  I asked for “advice .”  That got me in the door.  
      I want to schedule knee surgery around work, without further harm to knee or employment.  I am the oldest sales person, and relatively new to the team.  In addition, as a “seasoned” sales manager, I am also paid twice what others make, not working on commission, as they do.  Therefore I am envied, and a “sitting duck,” in terms of  future cost-cutting or downsizing.
     It turns out we both prefer doiing the surgery in January, a slow business time.  However, he is flexible if I find I need to do it sooner.  What a relief!  I was building a mental “mountain out of a molehill,” judging him unfairly.  In recovery, I faced my fear, “Let Go,” trusting God. I let the outcome to unfold naturally. 
     By using faith, God removed a nagging burden.  An impasse in our relationship was broken.  We engage on a new level.  In fact, tomorrow, I’m bringing him a surprise, 7-day guest pass to my gym, based on a comment of his.
                 Carl's  story reminds me of two quotes: 
      "Courage faces fear and thereby masters it."
 and, 
     "Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt." 
 Wm.  Shakespeare, "Measure for Measure,"  Act 1 scene 4.
How About You?
1. What was a recent occasion, where you overcame fear?
      For me, I related with an aggressive, bombastic man in a recent business meeting.  He did not allow me to finish my sentences.  When he was done, I calmly let him know I saw things differently. I didn't say he was wrong.

      Without glaring, I responded. I didn't react----I also made sure I did not glare from the inside. Internally, I was serene.  Not long ago, I would have been resentful.

      Later, in our conference he made concessions to what I said, when earlier, he corrected me about this very point.  I was mindful of a quote I shared awhile ago:
"The truth is like a lion. You do not have to defend it. Let it lose, it will defend itself."               St. Augustine

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels