Sunday, August 5

Love: Balancing Perspectives

         After the break, are thoughts from Carl, for a post I wrote this morning.  I could not leave them there, hidden within
that less frequented room of the comments section.   The message of the James Taylor song  left by Carl gives hope and inspiration.  I balance its message with the insight from of an ancient passage, written 3,100 years ago: 
 "I charge you, O you daughters of Jerusalem, by the gazelles or by the hinds of the field that you not try to stir up or awaken my love until it pleases."     Song of Solomon, 2:7
      There's a play on the words used here, in Hebrew. the words "gazelles" and "hinds of the field" sounds very similar to the phrase, "Lord Sabaoth", a reference to the Lord of Hosts, or God. Even in love, the writer, attributed  as Solomon, informs us we are powerless; it's best leaving this personal matter into his hands as well. Matchmaking is not an area where we "hustle" to make it happen. You can read more about that here and especially here. Humbling, isn't it?

          Carl is a frequent visitor to this inn.  Insight, warmth, humor and honesty characterize his gratitudes.  Compliments are verbal gifts, but presents, nonetheless.   I was taught to show gratitude for them, not dismiss them.  Minimizing my abilities I'll do, if I don't maintain recovery from the past's painful scars from emotional abuse or rejection, perceived or real.  


        So Carl, thank you.  Your encouragement for what I do in this inn means much.   I've never had a song dedicated to me, in the almost one year and five months since this inn opened it's doors. 

         I agree with your comment, there is hope when we use healthy principles in overcoming generational legacies that are less than ideal. You can read more about this subject here

          Without being aware of it, you are the first guest blogger for Attitude of Gratitude Inn.  Thank you, for making time to share your  positive thoughts with us. 
************************ ***************
Here are Carl's comments: 

        Dear Pablo,

I think of this Inn as a House of Love, Life and Legacy....where we  discuss and explore genuine Love, ponder new-found, and Life-changing experiences, strength and hope, and learn to build new personal, family, and social Legacies.
         If anyone deserves encountering true love, it is you, our Innkeeper!  As such, in gratitude to you, and in concert with your global fellowship of thousands of "Balcony People," cheering you on, I dedicate this song to you.  It is James Taylor's "I Will Follow," from his "Dad Loves His Work" album.
Yonder mountain so high 
I can't make it all on my own, no 
Rolling river, why so wide? 
To sweep me up and to bear me on 
Up against the sky so bright 
That I can't even close my eyes 
I know I will follow (follow love) 
Yes, yes, I will follow (follow love) 
I will follow (follow love)  Follow love
Growing slowly like a tree 
Someday soon, darling I love you 
I love you 
Soft and gentle, full summer moon 
Set my soul free 
Thank you, baby 
Drifting like a cloud in the sky 
I can see myself from high above 
I know I must follow (follow love) 
Somehow I will follow (follow love) 
I must follow (follow love) Follow love 
Oh, half the future and half the past 
They're waiting inside your eyes 
Yes, and after all of this 
To last and last   Till at last it's your time to rise, rise 
True believer that I am 
I am blind, lead me on (lead me on) 
Blessed receiver of your love 
I own my own time 
And I've been holding on (holding on) 
Leave the word unspoken 
And the spell will not be broken
And I'm bound to follow, now (follow love) 
I know I must go (follow love) 
I must follow (follow love) 
Yes, I must follow (follow love) 
Someone to hold my hand (follow love) 
Somebody to lead me on(follow love) 
Somebody to walk beside me (follow love)
Someone to follow me now (follow love) 
I must follow love (follow love) 
I will fall in love 
I will follow love (follow love) 
Anywhere it leads me I will follow love (follow love) 
Follow love 
***************************************************  
       Carl concluded with:
"Your recent photo's of the full moon inspired this Oscar Wilde quote that reminds me of Jesus, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Aung San Suu Kyi, Burma's First Lady of Freedom;
'A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.' "

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Hello Pablo,

I am surprised, humbled and honored...thank you.

Today I am grateful for...

1. The way God speaks to me quietly through music, lyrics and healthy, safe people I choose to live and be with.

2. Quiet time at dawn or dusk in our backyard garden; to be washed by the cool, San Francisco ocean fog that drifts in during this season.

3. That I could choose again on Saturday to (not sabotage my entire day) say no to an unreasonable, work related client emergency of their own doing.

4. A (metaphorical) image today of running ahead of the bulls in Pamplona,Spain and saying to myself, "just don't look back!" For me its..."Leave the past behind, and move on," or better yet, "Forgiveness is giving up hope for a better past!"

5. A chance meeting at noon today (the height of lunch service) with a wonderful Italian executive chef at a major hotel, who gave generously of his time without my having a prior appointment! A rare moment indeed, rich with solid hope for building a lasting business relationship.

6. Falling asleep in the (dry steam) sauna today, and waking up a few ounces lighter!

7 Hearing Donald Fagen of Steely Dan fame, sing "The Goodbye Look," from his "Nightfly" album. Picturing the drama and intrigue of an unpopular expat. stuck on a tropical island when a revolution (or coup) breaks out. Well crafted lyrics tell such a vivid story...such a joy!

8. The entrepreneurial energy and enthusiasm our youngest son (19) is generating around his new clothing accessory "haberdashery" business, and his upcoming fashion show and trunk sale in New York.

Pablo said...

Carl,

I'm with you, regarding Safe People. You are fortunate; many envy your circumstances.

Good for you for using boundaries with a client.

Processing the past and letting go of it does not deny whatever happened. It allows me to put it where it belongs---in the past. This enables me to move forward unencumbered by the weight of ancient emotions. (Hope for Today, p. 27.)

I'm learning more about you: you are a music aficionado.

I wish your son well.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels