Monday, August 6

Blessed by Empathy, Traveling Down Memory Lane ................................8/6/12

Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family
Anthony Brandt 
      Good evening everyone,

I just got home after a busy day.  Dealing with business had me out of town.  A lot is going on.  The most encouraging fact is that I'm making headway with
practical demands.

      I have several key appointments tomorrow, at 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.  Each dealing with different issues, each is critical.  Today, I followed up on resources that will make life easier.  I wrapped up the day by meeting with friends in the evening. Better yet, they helped me process areas  causing concern.

      Am I glad. It's nice knowing I'm not alone, especially when life is unmanageable. Hey, life throws out surprises.  This is a season when I'm gutting out the long distance race of several demands.

      It's not important how I start a race. What matters is finishing strong, with my head held high. Four marathons (my first at fourteen) many 10k races, competitively running in Jr. high, high school, college and in adulthood has taught me this. Perseverance is key, putting one foot in front of the other.

      I appreciated the loving support offered by tonight's friends, their practical insights, shared with genuine concern for my welfare.  It's amazingly heartening, receiving empathy that is spot on.  I'm usually the one who offers it.  I'm glad that part of my growth as an adult was learning the value of connecting with others, rather than isolate, when distressed. Tonight, I did not let my smaller self to rule. Wow.

      I'm deserving of help.  One person in particular, clearly and specifically understood my situation.  It was great receiving her encouragement.  I found myself increasingly strengthened, as she connected with my concerns. She spoke with an understanding I longed to have.  Now, I do.
Gratitudes:
1. I'm thankful for the courage God offers.  He's not a figment of my imagination, but a reality, someone I know.  He delights in me and offers strength greater than mine.  My situation has not changed, but I'm changing, as I operate by faith, not just my head or machinations.
2. I made three business calls. Because of them, I got help.  The benefits of having a supportive network adds to my serenity, increasing the ease I need at this time.  Three different people offered help that I would not have, if I had stayed to myself.
3. I celebrate the depth of my discussion with friends tonight. I continue to be amazed as I hear others say out loud, including vulnerabilities that I was thinking.
4. I cycled early today.  I discharged the stress within by attacking hills.  I rode to Lake Merritt in Oakland.  The downtown environment is entirely different from the small town feel of Alameda.
A Trip Down Memory Lane
      Sunday, after cycling thirty miles (48 km), I visited my aunt Maria. We had a fantastic time.  I was able to piece together additional information, helping me better understand my father, an inscrutable man.
      We conversed in Spanish (neither my first or second language, nor my last, for those curious).  I hadn't seen her in awhile. There's much to be said about the comfort of family.
      I plan on visiting her frequently. Connecting with my past---my aunt's stories about my father, her husband, my uncle, and my grandmother---allowed me to dig, doing familial and emotional archaeology.
      I rooted out bits of my family's history, learning more about the character of those discussed.  In the process, I better understand me---I grew up in this context.  Disappointment with what I heard about my dad, I was. But not surprised.
     I am not my dad or anyone else, I was reminded tonight. A cause for joy.
5.  I enjoyed the honesty, authenticity, openness, love and enthusiasm I shared with my aunt.
6.  I spent time this morning, organizing my bedroom. I feel much better when everything is in order. I derive joy coming home to an organized place. It contributes to a sense of ease I need right now. 
How About You?  
I've mentioned several gratitudes.  What are the three gratitudes you can share?
     
        Here's to communicating, a tired innkeeper,
             Pablo

2 comments:

Vanessa Higgins said...

Gratitude for only receiving minor wounds after falling off my new longboard.

Gratitude for a boss who knows me better than I know myself and can reign me in when I venture too far off the cliff.

Gratitude for a doctor who believes in willpower and human strength over hospitals and additional drugs.

Pablo said...

Vanessa,

I'm glad to hear you are okay, that your accident wasn't worse. I wish I had a boss like yours, when I was younger. You must be happy having one who understands you.

You have my prayers---I'd encourage you to exercise. It helps us to keep our equilibrium.

A concerned innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels