Tuesday, August 7

A Busy But Happy Innkeeper---Staying In the Solution

     How are you?

I've been busy, busy, busy.  Did I tell you I've been busy?  :)   I've spent time in the nearby town of Oakland, taking care of business the past two days.  This evening, I didn't get home until 10:30 p.m.  Am I complaining?  Not at all.  I'm happy,
thrilled and ecstatic---I'm leveling the mountain of concerns that confronted me during these dog days of August.

     What's different,  is not only the town, but the terrain. That city has hills.  So, what do I do? I attack them while riding my bicycle. That's what I did when I ran cross-country in school.  The trick is that I'm dressed up, with slacks, dress shoes, dress shirt and the works.

     I'm seeing practical issues getting resolved.  I'm not thinking, I'm just putting one foot in front of the other.  What has me thrilled is that I am not being my smaller self.  I'm not allowing intense circumstances to cause me to shrink or condemn myself.   Hurray!   I'm thankful for that.

      I'm happy that I'm not allowing my past to hinder my future. I'm staying present, tackling the issues demanding my attention.  Life is about abundance, and joy, not fear, anxiety and self-loathing.

      Tonight, I met with others I hadn't seen in eleven months. It was good.  This event offers support for those who own businesses, it's financially focused which is fine with me. The devil is certainly in the details. I took several pages of notes during the event, gathering information I can use right away.

      I'm not much of a wall flower. I'm quiet, but I can hold my own, and did, this evening.

      After the formal time was over, that's when I went to work, networking with those there.  I came away with results that made me happy.  I got several leads for help regarding different areas of my business.

      I made connections, I will call four different people I met.  Good deal.  My personality profile is that I'm an  introspective person, an INFJ, according to Meyers Brings. But when I want to---and need to be---I can be extroverted.  Afterwards, I'm exhausted, but in the moment, I'll sacrifice comfort to make necessary connections.  Such was the case tonight.

     Afterwards, a woman I know happened to be there.  We went for a stroll and caught up with each other.  We made plans to meet again.  She's smart, has a gentle smile, both with her mouth and eyes and is not hard on the eyes, either.  We might even ride bikes in Alameda. Boy, am I a salesman for cycling!  Hey, multiple thousands of Dutchmen can't be wrong.
My Gratitudes: 
1. Results.
2. More results.
3. The vigor I feel after cycling, it's a natural high.
4. I made several calls today.  I also met with several business people. On top of that I got excellent coaching from one of my Balcony People. He prepped me for an interview I had at 4:30 p.m. today, with a government official. The results of this interview will help provide funding for my work.
5. Matters that once would be emotionally overwhelming are now taken in stride. I'm not thinking, as I wrote above. I'm just putting one foot in front of the other.
6. I had a two hour break today, between appointments and phone calls. During that time I went to a local sandwich shop, ate, and studied. Yes, I brought books along with me. When stressed that's when we especially need to take care of ourselves.
7. I met with another government official who gave me great news. It was an accident that we met. I was in his office to meet with someone else. We got to talking and he gave me advice regarding my situation. He also let me know the outcome of my efforts, in advance. I'll be meeting with him again, tomorrow.
8. Wednesday, I'll ride bikes with someone I mentor. I will have ridden twenty miles before I meet with him.
9. I'm thankful for the hope I have when taking action. Staying in the solution is preferred to fretting.
"All the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely action."
                                                          James Russel Lowell

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels