Monday, November 14

God is Not My Spiritual Bell Boy 11/14/11

This image does not
reflect God. I'm sor-
ry if you were mista-
 ken.
        Good evening everyone,

Recently, I was schooled in a lesson while la-boring on a project, lugging a suitcase of tasks related to it, up the steep stairs of unseeable results.  This undertaking was foreign to me, but I was confident in seeing this task completed.

       Others told me to give up.  Nope.  No can do.  

       Success often requires faith, and faith goes beyond the dictates of reason and circumstances.  While pushing ahead, if we---as a result of our insecurities---need all the outcomes figured out, where's the faith?

       Faith involves doing what takes faith.(Read  here, for more about this idea.)

       I'm not prone to throwing in the towel, when circumstances aren't going well.  There's something to be said for per-severance.
"In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins–not through strength but by perseverance.”                                   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
       By phone, I determinedly approached others regarding this chal-lenge; I engaged contacts face-to-face.  All efforts appeared for naught.  A lack of results didn't rattle me.

       What I do or don't achieve does not define me.  I'm thankful for the freedom found in leaving my best efforts in God's hands, trusting Him for the results.  I believe in the Power of Persistence.

      However, I find it best knowing endurance born of prayer and medi-tation---connecting with the God of my understanding.  Seeking God's will----not relying solely upon my muscle or cognitive abilities----remains the preferred option.  I am not the end all and be all of any endeavor.  

       Seeking God's help, relying upon His resources, works well.  As with everything I write, please take what you like and leave the rest.

      God will never be our spiritual bell boy.  He doesn't wear a goofy uniform, His role does not include being our lackey.  You're know these guys, they work at hotels, and tote your luggage to your room, hoping for a tip when they've dropped it off.

      We don't boss God around; snap-ping our fingers, saying, "God, I want to do__ ____ (you name it).  Now, bless my efforts and give me what I want!"  Instead, we want to ask for His guidance. 

       When we commit our ways to Him, God establishes our plans.  I like the light Paths To Recovery shines on this subject:
Remember that asking our Higher Power for help does not mean asking for specific results---that is asking God to execute [perform---not kill---as one person I know once interpreted] our will!  Turning our will and our lives over to God means that we put the outcome in God's hands.   Paths to Recovery, Al-Anon's Steps, Traditions,  and Concepts, Virginia Beach, VA: (1997). 29, Print.
           Well, today it happened.  The results regarding this endeavor arrived.  It was lovely and its route was unexpected.  

          I basked in seeing the vision regarding this matter fulfilled.  God's humor was displayed.  The payoff for my efforts was rewarding, the route to this conclusion, unexpected. 

          Figures. Seeing things work out better when I "do the next right thing" and get out of the way, was lovely.  One of the persons who prompted me to quit----when I was struggling----was with me tonight when the outcome was unveiled; she was speechless. 

          Having little faith, produces small results. "According to your faith be it unto you," a spiritual leader, from long ago once said.  Operating from God's point of view, broadens life's possibilities.  

          Big faith allows God to work, unfettered by our negativity, fear, puny faith and limited perspective.  Exercising faith enabled Him to unleash His divine power.  It humbles us, remembering that reality is not limited to our senses, capabilities or logic.  

         Thank God for that.

         It's emotionally satisfying knowing, at the cellular level----not just cognitively----there's only one God and we are not Him.  God and us can make a powerful team.  Such a partnership enables us to do our best, unshackled by our limited resources.  Confusion and apprehen-sion are placed in God's hands; it's our best option.

        Worry avails little.  Yes, it can provide a pseudo sense of control.  But it remains fake. 

        Even if we think we are in charge, we aren't.  Growth transpires when we realize we are powerless over all the nouns and pronouns in our life: people, places and things. (Paths, p 13)  Knowing this fact allows us to sleep better and worry less; we become easier for others to relate with. 

        It right-sizes us, reminding us of our dependence upon God.  It also promotes an Attitude of Gratitude, for we've found relief: no longer need we live life relying upon our power alone.  The heavy lug-gage carried up the stairs of our concerns no longer rests upon our shoulders, but His.

How About You? 
What connection do you have with God?  Where would you like it to be?  How do you define the God of your understanding?

     Writing and reading, due to the Internet and blogs like this one, has become a social act.  Let me hear your response and comments on this subject. I'd love hearing what you have to say, even if you read this months after this was written.  Your opinion is important to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paying attention to how I talk to God is revealed in my requests to him. I see so many prayer requests in the Christian Community stating exactly how they want God to answer their prayer. If I had the understanding of the entire creation like God does, then that would be helpful. But I don't. My mind could not fathom God's full capacity to answer my prayer.

Philipians 4:6 may help you as it did me to consider the source of my thoughts on the prayers I say to God.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
My prayer life used to be one of "defensive hope" as the innkeeper called it. I would pray for God to answer my prayer the way my human brain would like it answered and then believe it would be exactly as I prayed for it to turn out.
After years of practice and changing my attitude I am growing in a way that is bringing me closer to God's will for my life.
That is bringing me more joy, peace, love, kindness and all the spiritual gifts God has to offer.
That's a win win relationship. I no longer fight against God's will but trust his way is best for me. My prayers are requests for God's help to move forward in my life, toward His road to travel through my human life.
Remember no matter how impossible the situation you are praying for seems, God will always answer your prayer in a way that is best for you. God loves you.
Many blessings for the New Year,
Muse

Pablo said...

Good stuff, Muse. Thanks for your comments.

You're learning to surrender to God; therein lies serenity. Bravo to you!

"Peace comes not from the absence of conflict, but in our ability to cope with it."

When we include God in the equation---praying, doing our best and then leaving the results to God, we'll find our ability to handle life's riddles becomes easier.

Thanks for your openess and sharing your thoughts!

Happy New Year to you!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels