Thursday, November 10

Alone, Enjoying Serenity. Fulfilled, Not Distracted or Lonely ........ 11/10/11

 George Burns said it well: "When you stop giving and
 offering something to the rest of the world, it's time to
 turn out the lights." The worth of our lives comes from
 what we give. What we keep, we squander. Look for
 ways to impart value, be generous with encouragement
 and kindness, hand out hope and help to those you meet.
   Photographer Tim Blessed's caption.
         Did you have a grateful day?

      I did. Thank you for dropping by. To-day is special in that this inn had frequen-ters from all five continents.

      On this glorious Thursday, I invested in creativity.  I rested, napped, meditated, prayed, wrote, and studied.  But, primar-ily, I slept. 

     It can be hard being available for self.  Conscious effort is required, but it's worth it. The media of modern society presents being alone and not using an electronic gadget to amuse or distract ourselves----from ourselves---as weird.

The Borg
        Wow.  We've become Borgs. If you know Star Trek, you know what I mean. 

       For the uninitiated, they are a semi-robotic society where individuals have electronic implants. This was for them to function better.

        In the U.S and many other parts of the world, iPods, Bluetooth, Smart Phones, Cell Phones, DVR, CDs, video games, et al., provide many opportunities. They allow individuals not to perform better but to isolate themselves, even when they are with others.

Not electronic moments
       I saw a boy, no older than five, walking alongside his mother.  She pushed a stroller containing her latest addition to the family. A quaint scene, right?  

       Not really. The mother had the cell phone to her ear, animatedly engaged in a conversation. She ignored the little lad, her infant in the carriage, the glorious weather, and the beauty of autumn leaves engulfed her as she walked along a park. 

       And that's not all; the youngster had a cell phone.  He was talking with someone else. I'm sure you witness such moments.  

      I often meet others in public places: I'll see a couple sitting together, in a restaurant, on a bench at a park. Perhaps on a date.  One is on the phone. 

     The one not using their cell phone tries to not look awkward as they are ignored.  Fifteen years ago, this type of social scenario was unfathomable. 

       I find slowing down for solitude, silence, and meditation invigorating. 

      Constantly yielding to the white noise of distraction, not focusing inward----spiritually, emotionally, or mentally----is to not be aware of our feelings. I've found that depression is our psyche silently knocking that we need to pay attention to our needs and feelings. It deserves this attention and needs it for us to be healthy and whole.

    I have been alone. But it's been decades since I've felt lonely. We feel that way when we cease to be at peace with ourselves.

     Please let me know your thoughts and gratitude; I enjoy hearing from you.


Copyrighted image. "Cumbria: Hardknott Valley" by Tim Blessed. Used by permission.

2 comments:

ScooterSim said...

I appreciate the need for "self time". As I work hard to build a business and at the same time, do things to continue to generate income, plus serve others through non-profits and charities, you can get lost in the constant motion. It IS good to stop every now and then, watch, listen, and see where you are being led. It may be in the frantic rush, you are missing where you really SHOULD be.

Pablo said...

Hey Paul,

It's wonderful seeing you here. I hear you. The verse, "Be still and know I am God" (Ps. 46:10) is good to know during hectic times.

It's also helpful being aware the word for "be still," shalom, usually known as peace, means: "cease from striving." it's usually best to Let Go and Let God. There's only one God and we are not Him. It's a fantasy thinking I can control outcomes. It's easier doing my best and trusting God for the results.

As I've heard elsewhere,if we are going where we don't want to go, it doesn't help if we run in the opposite direction, if we are on the wrong bus.

Quiet Time, helps me to get my bearings. I'm lost without it.

Thanks for reading and sharing your insights. You've my prayers. I hope I have yours, too.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels