Tuesday, November 1

The Second Time I Saw a Friend Since She Went Over a Cliff. An innkeeper story. 11/1/11

The cliff she went over was like this---she hung on to roots, as she was pulled up
      More on what happened when I saw a former date in a minute. 

      Life is going well.  I'd value your prayers, nonetheless.  I want to adhere to my priorities for this day.  I will workout on my gym after this post, eat and then ride my bike for awhile. I'll tend to bills----ya ay!  Doing so is a way of taking care of me: it reduces mental clutter and provides more serenity.

      Last night I saw a woman I once dated.  This happened while with friends last night as mini goblins tramped the streets seeking caloric, teeth threatening treats.  She and I studied at the same university.

      I was talking with a couple when she left.  It was early in the evening; I didn't expect her to take off.  I hoped to talk with her.   When I dated her, she was busy setting up her business.  I moved on, letting her do so.

      The last time I saw was at an Indian restaurant I introduced her to, Cafe Raj on Solano Ave., in Albany.   I was with a person I mentor.  She supped with two women.  It was interesting how our paths had crossed, reminding me of leaves falling from trees, intersecting as they sway their way to earth.

     Our last date was memorable. We hiked along a demanding, steeply inclined trail.  On the left, a creek gurgled below the cliff  that edged our tree-rooted, dirt path.  Its narrowness required walking single file, with care.  On occasion, we ducked under massive Redwood Tree trunks that had crashed up against the mountain side we hugged, as we traversed along.

      The sun's rays dappled through canopy of trees, the treetops swayed and danced with the wind that was filled with the chirps of birds and kaw-kawing of ravens.  The musty scent of earth enveloped us as we enjoyed a mini-vacation from urban living.  A great and grateful day for the innkeeper, it was.

    At one point, she slipped----in an instant---I flung my body towards her, lying diagonally prone on the slim dirt path.  Grasping her arm and hand with both of mine, I kept her from sliding down the cliff into the creek and boulders twenty feet below.

    Pulling her, she dug her running shoes into the sides of the precipice, climbing to relative safety of the narrow ledge that was our trail.  When she reached the path we laughed off  the misadventure. The only evidence of what happened were marks of earth painted on her white pants. This was a date she wouldn't forget.

    After our cliff-hanging moment, we rested, moseying over toward massive boulders that faced the water, sitting on them, Indian style.  Observing the stream rushing towards and around us stilled our hearts.  The water sang as it ran over nearby rocks made smooth by its persistent, watery presence of many decades.

    M____ is a swell person with a tender spirit.  She's a counselor and fun to be with.  I enjoyed our conversations. I didn't think she was traumatized by that event, but writing this story, I now wonder. Hey, reflecting on this date,  I think I know why I haven't seen her since.  I'm a little slow.

My Gratitudes: 

1. It was good seeing M_________, even though we didn't talk.
2. I'm thankful I responded instantly, that day in the forest. I'm grateful for the fond memories stirred by seeing M_____ last night. (No, I'm not interested in pursuing her.)
3. I think I'll take that path soon. I like challenges, vibrancy, stimulation and love being in nature. (No, I'm not crazy---I'll go with someone else, for safety's sake.)
4.  About 750 of you dropped by today---so far.  Thank you, for keeping me company.

Let me know your response and thoughts to today's story.  Remind me not to take you on that hike.

        A reminiscing innkeeper

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels