Monday, November 14

We Reveal Our Character With Every Breath We Take (Even While Daubing Strawberry Sauce With a Piece of Bacon) ..................... .11/14/11


My son ate this along
with bacon and sausage.
     Last night, Sunday, I shared dinner with my oldest son.  It's satisfying seeing him develop as a young man. I celebrated with him that he is finishing college this quarter.

     I loved the heart-felt
laughter and the warmth shared.  He revealed what's going on in his life.  I'm glad he's forgiven me for my ineptitude as a young father.

     Being the oldest, he was the guinea pig during my initial attempts at parenting.

     I took in what I beheld across the table at IHOP.   He had gotten off of work and the restaurant was the only one open at 11:00 p.m.  As we visited, my mind transposed to the cute, 2-3 year old boy with chubby cheeks I once played with.

     More about that in a minute.

     Now, his hair is receding.  He's university educated, the president of a marketing organization. Our conversations are intellectually intense.

     He would have a midterm the next day, Monday.  An essay was also due.  When I went to college no way would I spend time with someone, the day before an exam and the deadline for a paper.

     Yet, here he was, making time for us. He is more confident than I was as a college student. I studied until 2:00 a.m., every day, but especially when preparing for an exam happening the next day,

     And I was a good student. Thanks son, for appreciating our time as much as you do.  Emerson, in his essay on Self Reliance said:
"Many think they reveal their character by their words and their overt actions. Not knowing that we reveal our character or lack of it, in every breath we take." 
     Pablo Jr. revealed his character, after slowly eating pancakes with strawberry sauce. While listening to me, he reflectively pushed a piece of bacon into the remaining red syrup.

     "You are not going to eat that, are you?"  I said, distracted by his grotesque action.  No one would eat such a horrible combination of tastes----sugar with fatty meat, I reasoned.

     "Yes, as a matter of fact, I am,"  putting the bacon in his mouth while smiling.

     Thank you, son.  By your action you said more to me than words could express.  You value your autonomy, independence.  You will not yield to pressures from others, even your dad.

      Pablo Jr., you are your own man.  But there was a serendipitous gift received while declaring your independence at IHOP.  I had a rare glimpse of the impish little boy I thoroughly loved and enjoyed as your young father.

      And for that, I love you dearly and have an Attitude of Gratitude

Gratitudes for Today:
1. I'm thankful for seeing positive outcomes this evening. For more about that, see my previous post.
2. I'm glad God allows me to see beyond my perspective.  I'm happy observing God at work in my life. (Also see my previous post.)
3. I appreciate the walk I had at the Berkeley Marina with a dear friend.

      The boats sailed out on the bay. Dogs scurried around, along with their owners. Owls were birthing along the crags that made the rocky marina coastline. The sun shimmered on the water. San Francisco could be seen from afar as we walked along the coastline.

      Echoes of the joyful, excited laughter of my sons resonated within the halls of my mind as I tromped through gofer-hole strewn lawn. This is the exact place where my sons and I blasted off rockets this summer. Happy memories make the heart glad.

      The conversation with my walking buddy was relaxed, honest and kind, the type of talk that is enjoyed between old friends. I've known this person for 14 years.

4 comments:

Grateful said...

Good to be grateful!

Pablo said...

Great seeing you again.

I like your new moniker. I'm happy hearing about the good times you're having with your family.

Isn't it terrific we can create new, healthy legacies with our family?

Come by again,

Anonymous said...

Greetings Innkeeper,

Thank you for sharing your experience (and memory) of your son. Your honest view of yourself as a young father was particularly moving - that and the unquestionable love shared between you and your son. A quiet celebration of the marvelous achievement of your son is a magical way to prepare for the Thanksgiving Holiday. The abundance that surrounds us is marvelous and humbling - especially when those whom we love return that love unconditionally. That's part of what this post tells me - just like the bounty around us, we have that same bounty within to give, share and rejoice - whether there's a holiday or "just" another day. Thank you Paul! Lowry

Pablo said...

Thank you, Lowry, for your comment. I've been having problems posting comments. I wanted to respond to your post.

Fortunately, I was able to get in and write this.

I'm in agreement with you. There's much we can be grateful for, including our relationships with our loved ones.

As I've posted in "Wealthy Beyond Measure," abundance is not in how much we have, but in how much we enjoy."

“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is ‘thank you’, it will be enough.”
Meister Eckhart

That quote humbles me.

Thank you, Lowry, for dropping by and sharing here. I'm thankful to be your innkeeper!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels