Saturday, December 8

Conclave: Improving A Relationship ........12/8/12

My life is looking up, like this dog
Image: "Whiskey" by Tim Blessed.
It's nice having this kind of whiskey. 
     How are you?

I'm bushed, like beat. This week has engrossed all my energies, including spiritual, mental and physical, not to mention emotional.  Today, the week was concluded by
cycling, in the bracing wind, at 9:00 p.m., twenty-one miles. This, after a long, but successful day with clients.

     This month I've cycled two hundred and eight miles.  Good for me, I'm investing in my well being. However, I'm almost falling asleep while writing this post.

Gratitudes for Saturday. 
1.  I cycled today. Ya ay! The office I used today is eight miles from home. My mind was fried. I had  a long,  demanding, but successful week.

A Terrific End To a Demanding, Yet Fulfilling Week

      Today, I helped a couple cope with the hateful behavior of an adult child theirs. They want to meet again.  The time we spent was transcendent.  Such times are a gift, I don't expect them, but God blessed me with an amazing session this afternoon.

 Doing a Conclave

      We worked on improving their relationship, too. As they invest in themselves, it will fortify them as they weather the behavior and moods of their daughter.

      I was touched by the genuine love expressed between the two of them when we concluded with a Conclave exercise. Simply amazing.

      During this exercise each spouse what they liked best, and least about what s/he brings to the relationship.  No judgment, blame or anger is allowed.  No comments are made about the other person.

      Next, they share three things that they like the least about what that person----the speaker----likes least about his/her contribution to the relationship.

      Third, the individual expressed what they liked best about themselves as a couple, followed

      Fourth, they shared what they would like to see come about in their relationship. Again, not about what changes they want to see in themselves or the other person. But, what they would like to see come about or evolve in them, their relationship.

       The time was magical.  Viewing love, genuine appreciation and tears of love in the eyes of this couple, as they spoke lovingly, gave me goosebumps.

Gratitude Number Two:

       Moderating the conclave and witnessing the deep love they have for one another (after thirty years!!), is one of the many upsides to my profession.

3.  I met a new client after my time with the couple.  My time spent with her was productive.  We worked on developing a nonviolent, compassionate response to her son's behavior.  We dealt with her need for beauty, order, tranquility and ease. The smile on her face when she left the office was priceless.
4.  After seeing clients, I filed for an hour-and-a-half.  I'm thankful for the clarity filing produces.
5.  I'm resting after writing this post.
6.  I thank God for His provision. All good things come from Him. My business is not my provision, God is. Knowing this allows me to rest in His committed love for me.
7.  I have a challenging project to work on tomorrow.  I am thankful for the opportunity it provides me to exercise diligence.
8.  I look forward to January.  It appears next year may be a banner year for me.
9.  Someone came to my office while I filed.  He needs my services.  We arranged to meet Monday.
10. I've written 561 posts in less than 21 months and 312 this year alone.  I'm grateful for determination and perseverance.
11.  I appreciate the opportunities that my  duties as innkeeper allows me to self-express.   I've also gotten to know many wonderful people who've passed through the door of this inn.  That includes you, too. Yes, you.

5 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Wow 311 posts this year? You're pumping these posts out at quite a clip there Pablo! Have a great Sunday.

Pablo said...

Hi Keith,

Actually, I miscounted. I've posted 312. Thank you, for your frequent visits. I enjoy having your company.

I'm wishing you a fantastic week!

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Wow, you are one prolific wordsmith! Nostrovia & Stolat to you, as my Polish wife would say!

I'm grateful to enter again the solace this blessed Inn affords us all, after becoming frayed by busy-ness, these past few days.

On this beautiful, brisk, Sunday afternoon, I am grateful;

1. To have stayed home from church this morning (rare) to catch up on late homework, creative writing, and helping my son update his resume.

2. To have been able to do so mostly in the sun-soaked, freshly rained upon greenery of our backyard garden sanctuary.

3. To now be able to visit the gym again and swim and soak like a fish, too long out of water!

4. To receive the beautiful and encouraging news of someones intention to help heal the heart of one of our sons.

5. To have a genuine "Day of Rest" on Sunday, for a change.

6. To have an intense cultural experience that has provided potential seeds for another blog post.

7. To have had a colleagues company on Thursday, during a long business trip to the Sonoma and Napa Valley wine country.

8. To have had the pleasure of my #2 sons company on Friday, during a long business trip to/from Carmel-by-the-Sea, and over lunch there. In fact he drove all the way home, so I could nap (my other newfound profession!)

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

I am also grateful for the wise and thoughtful vigilance you maintain for the benefit of all, here at this Inn!

Have a wonderful week!

Cheers!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

This inn perks up, when you drop by. I'm glad hearing this place provides you with solace.

It's good hearing the joy you have because of the sanctuary you find at home. We'll want to place your son's welfare in God's hands. We both know God loves him deeply. My hope is that the your son gets the healing and support he seeks.

Was your cultural experience job related? You must have been happy, getting support from your son, Friday, on your way home.

Thank you, Carl, for your good wishes. I pray this week will provide you with the celebration of life you deserve and enjoy!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels