Tuesday, January 1

Enjoying LIfe, Knowing Fulfillment and An Overview of the Past Year ...........1/1/13

      It's great feeling good, elated, even.  Many want that experience.  Unfortunately, depression is the lot for many.  As I've written before, all negative feelings are a result of an unmet need.

      Doing what we love and expressing our voice are two ways that allow us to meet our need for meaning, celebration of life and participating in the quest for fulfillment.

     I have the good fortune of being in a profession that
uses all aspects of who I am and allows me to grow, learn, and experience life's mysteries.  Yesterday, was a case in point.  I worked New Year's Eve.  It was good, a phenomenal time.  I love it when God's is present when having a session with a client.  So, it was, today.

       I  asked a client to take his Present Self----along with skills and tools he's learned from the time we've spent together----and go back and comfort his younger self.  I further asked if we could transport ourselves to a moment when he was abused.  He was willing and we journeyed.  It was a marvelous, time of healing.

      I mentioned the ghost of his painful past will disappear as it sees its Present Self handling similar disturbing moments with strength, confidence and  personal integrity----applying healthy, principles in areas that once were fraught with trauma, chaos, wavering, indecision and fear.

*******************

      I just got home from celebrating the New Year with friends.  It was a lovely time.  What touched me most was the sincere concern they have for me.  I was encouraged, emboldened by their kind words and enthusiasm for me.

      I got a little inspired while spending time with my friends.  I even mentioned some of the thoughts I shared in my last public lecture.  Those with me didn't mind.

      I'm so glad they were not blown away by my intensity.  When I talk about things that transforms lives, I cannot speak as if I have marbles in my mouth, devoid of passion.

Looking back at the past year, I see:
1.  I wrote 330 posts in 2012, an average of 27.5 a month.
2.  I met many terrific people while tending to duties as the innkeeper.
3.  We now have an assistant innkeeper, Carl.  Ya ay!
4.  In 2012 we had 1,236 comments, thank you, very much.
5.  I added videos to several posts this year.
6.  This month, we will probably hit the 600th post marker.
7.  This inn has been open less than two years, it's anniversary is March 13th.
8.   I love my life.
9.   I have a marvelous family----the result of my getting out of the way of my sons, entrusting them to God, loving them, and letting them know how proud I am, being their father.
10.  This New Year will be the best year ever.
11.  As a result of speaking in November, I have 21 new clients.  Wow.
12.  I'm grateful for a Board of Directors who help solidify, support and strengthen the service I provide. We were not meant to live in isolation.  I'm indebted to the many who offer me their love and practical help.
13.  I look forward to the future with joy, optimism, love, a song in my heart and confidence. I am deeply fulfilled, my life is filled with wonder.
14.  I have learned how to love others without losing myself. Boundaries, insisting on reciprocity and character discernment are key.
15.  I have learned how to accept love in return.
16.  My sight, once clouded and confused, is now clear and is able to perceive reality and recognize truth.  (From Survival to Recovery, p. 269.)
17.  Most important of all, I know God's deep love for me, it is often incarnated through my Balcony People, who stand on the sidelines, cheering me on, as I run the race of life.

     I am thankful I am able to work to my personality.  I counsel in ways consistent with my enthusiasm and passion, using the results of decades of study and work in my particular field.

     I am thrilled I'm not working in a job, but I'm fulfilling the vocation I had----the calling I received as a youth.  I'm glad I'm able to answer questions clients ask.  It's the result of spending more than 30,000 hours in the work I do.

     I'm humbled I'm able to assist others.  Those I work with realize, through the work we do, that they can and will transcend self-imposed limitations.  It's a privilege seeing others bloom before me, most within a short period of time.

     This year I had new clients, who, in their first session with me, were thisclose to being institutionalized----even clutching at me.

     After an hour and a half session, they were calm, in their right mind. They had hope, once again, along with the beginnings of tools that permit them overcome self-loathing, depression, rage, the need to control outcomes and anxiety.

      I enjoy the challenge of my work.  I am constantly learning and growing as result of learning from others, including my clients.  How could I not have an Attitude of Gratitude?

7 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Those are some tremendous accomplishments Pablo. 21 new clients from one speech? That's quite amazing.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

WOW! Pablo, you had a tremendous year, and deserve kudos for all you have accomplished! Bravo! I'm sure 2013 will be even better for you and for all we visitors to this sacred space we call The Gratitude Inn. Love your New Years Graphic! Very hip!

Tonight I am grateful;

1. For a warm and moving New Years Eve midnight prayer service yesterday at church with pastor, wife and friends.

2. For a smooth-as-silk, late-morning drive under crystalline blue winter skies, due-north up the Napa Valley. Winding onward, we traversed that zig-zag mountain road to Aetna Springs, in neighboring Pope Valley to celebrate an annual New Years Day pot-luck dinner with 46 friends and their families. What a feast!

3. For the inspired gift of a smoking cessation program for my #3 son; a belated Christmas gift he was grateful for and happily surprised to receive. He felt loved; priceless...

4. The fine surgeons at Kaiser in Walnut Creek will not mistakenly install an elbow joint to replace my old worn-out right knee tomorrow morning!

5. That my wonderful son #4 downloaded Spotify (like Pandora but better!) on my laptop/desktop!

6. That we have a clean 2013 Slate to doodle, draw and paint our vision and dreams on; unforeseen experiences, unexpected strength and hope springing eternal in the hearts of us all.

Pablo said...

Hi Keith,

I'm a fortunate man. I also know I would have accomplished very little apart from the support of friends and the strength I receive from God.

Regarding the new clients, it is mind boggling, I never would have expected so many would want my services. Twenty percent of those who attended are not meeting with me. Wow.

Keith, how's your bronchitis?

Thank you, for dropping by, it's always a pleasure having you as a guest of this inn!

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

I prayed for you this morning, trusting you are now doing well, and recovering from your surgery, today.

As innkeeper of this inn I'm duly authorized to grant you with the Attitude of Gratitude Award for 2012!

Your consistent posting of at least three things that make your heart sing----in this inn, the enthusiasm and positive spirit you bring to the rooms of this cozy place in cyberspace is hereby duly noted.

Kudos to you, my friend!

Do I hear a hip, hip, hooray for Carl?

Broken said...

Pablo,

I'm happy that you've had a great year,more so that you appreciate what life gives you and share this with others who are searching for a way.

I wanted thank you for this lovely blog and your posts,they've been very inspiring:)

Wishing you a happy and peaceful new year!

Pablo said...

@ Keith, I meant to say, are "now" meeting with me.

Pablo said...

Broken,

Thank you, for dropping by! This inn improves, when you are here. Your words mean a lot to me, more than you could ever know.

I'm glad I encourage you. What have you liked best about the past week?

For me, I was able to write to a new friend. This person thinks a lot like me, or, maybe, I think a lot like this person.

Have a terrific weekend!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels