Thursday, January 31

Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy? Also, The Value of Boundaries Revisited. .........1/31/13

You may feel that the world is too messed up, that too
many wrong choices have been made, that it doesn't
matter much what you do, that it's hopeless. But that's
 not true. Just as every problem can be traced to a
wrong decision, every solution begins with a wise and
loving decision to do the right thing, the loving and un-
selfish thing.

A little bit of love can make a lot of difference. One
 act of kindness or unselfishness can start a whole
chain reaction of events that will, in the long run,
make life a lot better for a lot of people. So don't des
-pair because there is so much suffering and grief
and wrong in the world. Instead, do what you can
to make things right and encourage others to do the
 same. The world won't change in a day, but we can
make a difference if we try. (Photographer's lovely
caption)  All rights reserved.
      Good evening everyone,

How did your day go? I'm tired. I'm bumping up the following post. It's easy to lose track of our own lives. 

     I know.  I counsel many who live on the ragged edge of life.  Their days are chaotic----swinging from one activity to another, with no clear sense of priorities. 

   Such is the case, when living without
boundaries. May the following post help you live with more serenity, joy and abundance. 

Originally written 9/4/11

Being Busy
       I'm busy with work, I'm changing the nature of the relationships I've had with several friends. I mentor several people.

        Do you know what it means when we are too busy?  It means we are too busy.

        I've been too busy. Today, I took time investing in my sanity and serenity.  I luxuriated in Sabbath rest, normally I don't on Saturday. 

        I let my body, and more importantly, my mind and soul catch up with the activity I've been immersed in.  It isn't exciting being involved in a swirl of activity.  I've learned that being involved with too many projects is a form of self-abuse.   Society and my family encouraged me to live this way, when I was growing up.

        It is no longer acceptable. 

        Busyness as a child and young adult was my way of not coming to terms with my feelings.  Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. 

        Boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity 

        Today,  I took time, investing in me.  I cooked nutritious meals, the result of slowing down. I read at length, books that inspire and nurture me

         Deep breaths, I took.  The crisp air of this time of year was inhaled; I delighted in the skyscape of clouds and chirping of birds. All day, I did not speak, either by phone or in person. 

         I made time for me. You might want to check out this post, it's a good one about this subject. 

*************

         My focus as the innkeeper of this inn is adding positive contributions to this lovely world by sharing my experience, strength and hope.  There's no growth when we complain, continually revisiting our miseries.

         Healthy principles are the slate stones that allow us to cross the boggy areas of life. (For more about these slate stones,  that help us get through the morass of life, read here.)

       Critical is our attitude; optimism and a heart of thanks goes a long way towards reaching goals and enjoying life fully.  You might want to visit this post about this inn's vision.  One quote from this link:
All happy people are grateful. Ungrateful people cannot be happy. We tend to think that being unhappy leads people to complain, but it is truer to say that complaining leads people to becoming unhappy.
          This passage warn us of the negative power contained within complaining. There's a healthier alternative; giving thanks---sharing our gratitudes. 

       Regarding the following, what I write about boundaries, please take what you like and leave the rest.  I don't ask you to agree. Ultimately, we draw our own conclusions

Boundaries
        I'm grateful for boundaries. Without them we'd live chaotic lives, susceptible to the whims of others.  And we usually don't think about ourselves.  

        Boundaries define who we are and our values. They contribute to our serenity; boundaries are neutral; just as a wall is neutral, or the border to a country.

        They allow the good in and keep out the bad. They also were crushed and trampled upon if we grew up in an emotional (including lots of drama), verbal or physically abusive home or we live or lived with someone addicted to control, perfectionism, alcohol, drugs or sex.

        Boundaries are essential when relating with narcissistic people. Narcissistic people hate boundaries---they want you to do what they want, when they want you to do it.  Your hopes and dreams be damned, according to them.  Do you know what makes a relationship abusive?  A lack of reciprocity.  If we remember that, it will spare us many a grief in our relationships.

    Some of My Boundaries:

       1. I have friendships with those who actively work towards improving their lives---they seek growth, they pursue it.

     2. I'm not interested in relationships where they expect others to help them out without themselves making an effort.


       With those I mentor, I let them know that their desire to get healthier has to be stronger than my desire to help them. If not, I'd be a codependent. 

        I have no driving need to push them along in their progress, without them making equal or greater efforts regarding their own development. That's a distasteful thought. There is only one God and I'm not Him; it's such a relief knowing this fact

      It allows me to put down my cape. I've stopped rescuing others. It allows me to breathe. I now enjoy my life.


     3. We are responsible for our own lives. We are the average of the five people we hang around with. I choose to be with dynamic, positive people. 

     4.  I relate with dynamic people who want to thrive; who pursue growth. They see change as a vital part of life and do not fight those issues needing improvement.  Doing so is called denial, which is very different from being unaware. For more on this critical subject, please read here.

     5. Everyone is to be treated with dignity and respect. If I'm in a conversation with someone and they use ridicule, judgment, shame, blame or guilt, I ask them to restate their comments, expressing their needs instead.  If they are unable to that, we won't have a conversation.

     6. I finish my own sentences. I don't want others telling me what I think or rushing what I say by completing my sentences. I prefer speaking for myself.  I enjoy relaxed, not pressured, conversations. I reflect when I speak.  I comfortable pausing.  If someone is impatient when I talk, I suggest we meet another time, when they aren't.


        We can  be thankful for clarity in our relationships with others. Stating our boundaries helps.  People can't intuit our needs.  It's our job expressing them.

How About You?
       What are important boundaries for you? 

Image: "Switzerland: Mountains Beyond" by Tim Blessed © all rights reserved, used by permission 

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

My gratitudes for Thursday are;

1. To have some quality time (out of the "cabin fever" house...)with son #2 running errands, grocery shopping and having a Five Guy's Burger out (...even having leftover peanuts, fries and burger to bring back for the other guys here).

2. Watching American Idol with my wife, and then a typically quirky, silly, disjointed, but entertaining Woody Allen movie called "From Rome With Love."

3. Not having to go to physical therapy.

4. Supporting a dear friend directly and indirectly, in his hour/moment of need.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Great seeing your comments as always. My time on the computer is limited, right now. But this morning I'm able to write.

I'm encouraged by your consistency in posting gratitudes. I enjoy the community we enjoy when you and others post.

A grateful innkeeper,
The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels