Monday, January 14

Experiencing Love, Kindness, Helpfulness In the Least Likely Place. God Doing For Me What I Could Not Do For Myself ...............1/14/13

    Good evening everyone!

My computer has been broken since last Tuesday.  I need to take it to the guy who works on my computers.  An interesting side note is that I'm sleeping better without it.

    Oh yeah, I'm borrowing a friend's right now. Have you missed me?  I've missed
you.  I haven't been on a computer since last Thursday, when I slipped in Keith's guest post, with the fifteen minutes I had.

     It's good checking in with you.  Today was a special day.  I had the privilege of helping someone start her personal relationship with God.  She surrendered her life to Him.  Today was her spiritual birthday.  Wow.

    I'm beat.  I rode more than thirty miles today (48.3 km).  I also saw four clients.  I hadn't seen my e-mail in a week.  Awaiting me was a letter from a new friend.  That was great. This person and I think a lot alike.  Reading the letter met a need for connection, insight and closeness.

My Gratitudes for Today:
1. I met with someone new today, after work. It was our first time together. We both work in the helping profession. It was great trading notes and supporting each other. He had tea and I coffee at Sorriso's Cafe in San Leandro.
2. This same person asked for advice. I was happy sharing with him my experience, strength and hope----what works for me. We laughed as we spoke about the nature of our work and encouraged one another.
3.  I was touched hearing a client share how he is introducing spirituality to his household. Good!  It was inspiring to hear how he, his spouse and children are praying together and reading spiritual material. What a welcomed rarity to today's American society.
4.  I've been getting reacquainted with my friend Leo Tolstoy. I've been delighting in his telling of Russian folktales.

Blessed Unexpectedly In A Dangerous Place

    I had a mishap on my way home. But it was a good thing. Nope, I didn't get hurt, but the groceries I carried were spilled on E. 14th St. in Oakland, in a dangerous area.

    In this part of town, the street changes its name to International Blvd. Before the accident, as I passed by people I said, "God be with you," while smiling warmly.

     The bystanders returned the greeting.  I'm glad they could tell I meant what I said. I was cycling on a street where people are shot dead. Sorta scarey. 

     At one point, my bungee cords did not hold the food I purchased tonight.  Food spilled out on this busy and peligroso thoroughfare. I was concerned, to say the least. This is a part of town where I really don't want to be.

     Prostitutes don't show a modicum of discretion. Broken glass, storefront churches, graffitti, iron-barred store windows, and crowds of people pooling on the street curbs are common.

     I worried that someone might accost me, to be honest with you. Instead, a fellow ran up to me, picked up the groceries and held my bicycle as I tried getting off it. I piled the groceries along a chain link fence, walked my bike to a nearby auto shop and asked the men if they had an extra rope.

     Did they ever.

     When they saw what happened they got a milk crate, extra rope and fastened---and I mean FASTENED----the crate to my rack. They used additional rope to tie my satchel, which held 18 pounds of books, on top of the crate and food.

      I spoke with one of them in Spanish and thanked him, Javier, and Carlos profusely.  I gave them my card and told them they could have a free session.  One fellow may take me up, he has a 13 year old daughter that needs help.

5.     I'm humbled by the kindness I received. I was grateful for the responsiveness by these total strangers. I interrupted their work, in their auto shop, yet they gave of themselves freely. Am I lucky.
6.  Today, a client called me one hour before I was to meet her.
       Cancelling our time, she needed to do. Unexpected work beckoned her. I've learned to respond and not react.

       An hour later, as I headed to a nearby library, she called saying there was a change in plans and she could meet. We did. Our time was abbreviated, but good.

    I love it when I turn over results to God, letting Him deal with the details.  It sure reduces stress. 
7. My sons and I will watch the National Football League Championship game, that includes my team, the SF Forty Niners, this Sunday. We watched the semi-playoffs Saturday at a place that had more than forty TV screens.
8.  My eldest son's birthday is Wednesday.
      Friday night, a poem struck me regarding this special event, when I had the privilege of becoming a dad for the first time. I jotted it down. Saturday, I shared what I wrote with my youngest son, rehearsing and fine tuning it. I appreciate celerating life and honoring a young man whose birthday is fast approaching.
9.  I liked the letter I received from a new friend.
10. I'm thankful I could connect with you tonight.
    I'll still be out of action for awhile. Please help me keep this place open with your posting of gratitudes. I will be indebted to you, if you do.
11.  I love my life.
      I thankful for those who are dear to me. I am touched to know a God who cherishes me, forgives me and embraces me with His goodness, in spite of areas where I still need to improve.
12. I look forward to a great night of sleep. Tomorrow morning is clear of appointments. I will be able to slow down a bit. Thank God for rest. I've been busy. I worked both Saturday and Sunday.

     If you don't hear from me, it isn't because I don't care.  I look forward to getting my computer fixed. I damaged it when I dropped it.

    Good night everyone, thank you for listening and being the dear people you are.

2 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

First of all, glad to see you back! Secondly, Javier and Carlos sound like they were angels meant to be there to help you at that moment. How wonderful and awesome is that? There is amazing kindness in the world. You're a great person Pablo, and that's why kindness finds you.

Pablo said...

Dear Keith,

I apologize for the delay in replying. I've been concentrating on posting in my blog, when I've had the chance to be on the internet.

Yep, you are right. Those two men were angels, though neither of them were name Angel, a sometime Hispanic name. :->

I agree with you. There's much kindness in the world. My faith in a snippet from a poem was validated. The poem says:

Like calls to like, we are met by the traits we show/ Where love will find a friend/ Hate will find a foe.

I always look forward to your visits and am honored when you drop by. Really. The place here isn't so lonesome when you drop by.

Wishing you a great Thursday. Mine will be busy.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels