I just got in from a speaking in Castro Valley. It was fun, different, exciting and challenging. Where do I start? There's plenty of
catching up to do,with you, the guests to this inn. Don't you agree?
Many stories that have taken place since I last darkened the doors of this inn, all of them good. Wow. Not having my laptop, I realize how much I'm able to capture moments, wonderful moments, when it is alive.
Some of you know me in person, so I need to be careful with what I say. I'll start with tonight and will try to work backwards.
I cleared my schedule today. I focused on tonight's event. Prepping for a talk requires work I enjoy doing. The end result was a two page, single-spaced outline for tonight's talk that had seventeen references. It took several hours preparing for this evening's twenty minutes of solo talking.
The day was hectic. Although I had no appointments, I was on the phone----a lot. Business calls, follow-up calls with clients and setting appointments.
Hovering over my mind was the constant reminder I was going to engage an audience tonight. I'm glad I remained present, not allowing pressure to distract me from the tasks at hand.
It's because of tonight's talk that I'm able to visit with you. I borrowed a computer, assembling my thoughts. I wrestled my thoughts on electronic paper. Eventually it took shape.
Public speaking is the closest thing to my experience performing in school plays. The audience speaks to me at all times. I spoke on a subject dear to their interests.
I spoke about being in tune with our needs, feelings and behavior instead of only taking care of the needs of others. (My plight before I got recovery from codependency through Al-Anon Family Groups.)
My Gratitudes for Today
1. I'm able to share my gratitudes today. I appreciate connecting with you, the guests of this inn.
2. I was able to stay focused today, on what I needed to do today, even though I needed to work on tonight's talk. I'm thankful serenity was mine. I owned it and luxuriating in it.
3. Several friends showed up tonight, to hear me talk. I appreciated their support.
4. I expressed my needs today. I'm glad that I learned to state my feelings and leave it at that. As a youth I did not take care of my needs----my focus was on helping others.
5. Carl, the assistant innkeeper and I got together tonight. Yep, you heard that right. He dropped by to hear me at the event. Afterwards he and I fellowshipped at a restaurant, having my favorite pie, along with his encouragement.
6. Another dear friend greeted me with a kiss on the cheek when she saw me. That was nice. I'm learning bits of a new Slavic language from her.
7. Someone else who is new at recovery showed up. It was special having her there. It was terrific seeing her in a different setting.
8. I spoke on acceptance with grace, especially towards ourselves, one of my favorite subjects. This type of acceptance is much better than acceptance with resignation.
9. I have an early appointment twenty miles north from my home. I look forward to outcome of this meeting.
10. I had a delightful conversation with another individual. I enjoy how this person thinks and feels. Her comments to the gathering after I spoke were insightful and rich. It's great encountering a kindred spirit.