Tuesday, January 29

Where Has the Innkeeper Been?

       Good evening everyone,

I just got in from a speaking in Castro Valley.  It was fun, different, exciting and challenging.  Where do I start? There's plenty of
catching up to do,with you, the guests to this inn.  Don't you agree?

       Many stories that have taken place since I last darkened the doors of this inn, all of them good. Wow.  Not having my laptop, I realize how much I'm able to capture moments, wonderful moments, when it is alive.

        Some of you know me in person, so I need to be careful with what I say.  I'll start with tonight and will try to work backwards.

        I cleared my schedule today.  I focused on tonight's event.  Prepping for a talk requires work I enjoy doing. The end result was a two page, single-spaced outline for tonight's talk that had seventeen references. It took several hours preparing for this evening's twenty minutes of solo talking.

       The day was hectic.  Although I had no appointments, I was on the phone----a lot.  Business calls, follow-up calls with clients and setting appointments.

        Hovering over my mind was the constant reminder I was going to engage an audience tonight.  I'm glad I remained present, not allowing pressure to distract me from the tasks at hand.

       It's because of tonight's talk that I'm able to visit with you. I borrowed a computer, assembling my thoughts. I wrestled my thoughts on electronic paper.  Eventually it took shape.

       Public speaking is the closest thing to my experience performing in school plays. The audience speaks to me at all times.  I spoke on a subject dear to their interests.

      I spoke about being in tune with our needs, feelings and behavior instead of only taking care of the needs of others. (My plight before I got recovery from codependency through Al-Anon Family Groups.)  

My Gratitudes for Today
1. I'm able to share my gratitudes today.  I appreciate connecting with you, the guests of this inn.
2.  I was able to stay focused today, on what I needed to do today, even though I needed to work on tonight's talk.  I'm thankful serenity was mine. I owned it and luxuriating in it.
3.  Several friends showed up tonight, to hear me talk. I appreciated their support.
4.  I expressed my needs today.  I'm glad that I learned to state my feelings and leave it at that.  As a youth I did not take care of my needs----my focus was on helping others.
5.  Carl, the assistant innkeeper and I got together tonight. Yep, you heard that right.  He dropped by to hear me at the event. Afterwards he and I fellowshipped at a restaurant, having my favorite pie, along with his encouragement.
6. Another dear friend greeted me with a kiss on the cheek when she saw me. That was nice. I'm learning bits of a new Slavic language from her.
7. Someone else who is new at recovery showed up.  It was special having her there. It was terrific seeing her in a different setting.
8.  I spoke on acceptance with grace, especially towards ourselves, one of my favorite subjects.  This type of acceptance is much better than acceptance with resignation.
9.  I have an early appointment twenty miles north from my home. I look forward to outcome of this meeting.
10.  I had a delightful conversation with another individual.  I enjoy how this person thinks and feels.  Her comments to the gathering after I spoke were insightful and rich. It's great encountering a kindred spirit.

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

It was indeed delightful to both hear you speak last night, and to join in fellowship after!

My gratitudes for Tuesday (yesterday) were;

1. Being able to gather with friends, hear your talk, mix, mingle and share with several afterwords. You always know the quality of a speech or talk by how lively and long the mingling is afterwords, especially when no one wants to leave! That was truly the case last night!

2. A productive, afternoon physical therapy session at Kaiser.

3. Being able to spend some quality conversational, driving time with my #2 son, to and from.

4. Saying no (honoring my own boundaries) to attending a 4PM meeting that was too far from home, when still returning from therapy, hungry and tired. Luckily my pastor and a close friend accommodated me, and came to my home for the meeting. Of course I was "volunteered" to MC an upcoming event, but I suppose that was inevitable!

5. Drafting a potential blog post this morning that may or may not see the light of day here, but was fun writing just the same...

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad I struck a chord with those who attended, a week ago, today. I sensed the enthusiastic energy, too, afterwards.

Remember, "no" is a complete sentence. We don't need to justify ourselves to anyone. (Courage to Change, p. 155.)

Keep writing, I can use your help!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels