Wednesday, January 23

Our Doubts Are Traitors, Revisited ........1/23/13

     Good evening everyone,

Whew!  Was I tired tonight.  I laid down to rest upon returning home from work and slept for four hours.  The work I do, I love, but it can
tucker me out.  Tomorrow will be busy, too.  I'm seeing five clients.

       I found this laying around in the attic of this cozy inn.  I'm bumping it up.   Let me know what you think.  

Here it is:
                                                                   8/11/11
      I hope you are enjoying your day.  If not, you are at the right place.  Having an Attitude of Gratitude helps us.  It's a perspective that moves us forward.  For more information about that, read here.  It's best seeing what can be done and bask in the blessings we enjoy, than living with regret and fear.  

       Fear is a form of self-sabotage.  Here are some thoughts about this subject.  May they help us face our fears and master them. 
Part of my growth has involved reversing some old ways of thinking.  It had been my habit of avoiding painful feelings and situations, to play it safe and keep away from risk.  But life involves one risk after another, and pain is unavoidable.  Life is learning to accept what is.
Instead of running away, I'm learning to look at the source of my distress.  As a result, I find that pain passes much more quickly, and what I gain is freedom from fear.  I can learn to take an honest look at myself and my situation.  I can reach out to a supportive friend, God, prayer, and meet with others who care to help me to find the courage to deal with fear, pain, and risk. 
When I was avoiding taking risks, fear was always with me, just over my shoulder. Now I go through it and come out the other side, often unscathed. I no longer have to keep a constant watch for dangers.   Instead, I can occupy myself with living.
Wonderful things can happen today because I welcome the thrill of participating in my own life.
'Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.  Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.'     Helen Keller
"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."    William Shakespeare, "Measure for Measure", Act 1 scene 4
        These last words by Will were spoken four hundred and nine years ago.  They ring true today.  I see progress when placing principles above not only my personality, but fears. 

         I accomplish this by not taking it one day at a time, but by living life in fifteen minutes increments.  I place one foot in front of the other, doing what's necessary, while seeking God's will.  I rely on His power which allows me to carry it out.  Next, I B-R-E-A-T-H-E !  I do the same with the next fifteen minutes, the next, and the next.

          It helps having others who provide support.  Serenity is mine. I no longer make decisions or take action alone.  I'm in braided relationships with wise, emotionally healthy and discerning others who have my back. 

          On the airplane of life, my dear ones rouse me forward, as I step off and take the plunge, doing the next right thing, no matter how scarey it is.  My Balcony People remind me I have my Higher Power with me, with the parachute of principles holding me afloat, as I soar towards my goals.

 How About You? 
What is a challenge you are facing? 

        For me, it's currently developing my business, taking it to the next level. I want to do this while maintaining balance in my life. It's important to not only work, but to enjoy the Great Big Life God has for me. 
        May your day be bold and fearless.  I'm here for you, 

1 comment:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Thanks for bumping up this post; an important and timely message for me and probably for us all.

One challenge for me is the daily boredom and monotony of physical recovery/rehab from surgery. I'm by nature, an action person, so being home-bound, and patience with "progress not perfection," is not easy. It takes serious effort each day to push through the pain of stretching the muscles and exercising to progress in healing. I did get high "range of motion" marks from my physical therapist yesterday, though!

Also, being away from work for so long, for the first time ever; three weeks now, and five to six weeks before returning to work, is a concern. What will have changed? Will I still have a job, or will it be the same job, etc.

I know "I am powerless over this...," that ultimately its only God (as I understand Him)who can reassure me, or grant me serenity with this, and that my peace of mind comes when I "Let go and let God," ie; turn it over to His care.

I was humbled and given some valuable perspective yesterday. After deftly fixing my outbound email (laptop) problem in mere minutes, which had alluded me and Comcast Tech Support for nearly two weeks, my neighbor told me he was just diagnosed with Stage 2 Prostate Cancer! Wow! He is married, in his 40's, and after years of trying, they finally have a new baby boy! That just blew all my frivolous concerns to the back burner! I promised him we and others would pray for his healing/full recovery!

Finally, I would like to share some excerpts on Gratitude from yesterday's January 23 reading in the daily reader, "Hope for Today."

"...in fact, Gratitude is usually the means of restoring my serenity, whenever I notice I'm straying from it."

"Gratitude opens the doors of my heart to the healing touch of my Higher Power. It isn't always easy to feel grateful when the strident voice of my disease demands unhealthy behavior. However, when I work my program of recovery harder, it is possible.

Thought for the Day;

"This moment gives birth to the next. If I fill this moment with gratitude, the next moment can't help but bring blessings."

"Just for today, I will smile...I will be grateful for what I have instead of concentrating on what I don't have."

Today, as you count your invisible blessings, may you smile, be happy, and realize its all you need.

Please throw another oak log on the fire, before you depart our good Inn this afternoon!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels