Wednesday, January 30

Celebrating Life, Enjoying Community With a Stranger and Friends; Practicing Boundaries With Bullies

Wednesday Gratitudes 
1. The weather was beautiful today. Connecting with nature and celebrating life is always good. This was true as I cycled on this gorgeous day.  What a gift it is
riding a bike.  There are many joys I have, when I do:
    a.  It's an extension of my body, allowing me to zip by streets and nature. I take joy in the sense of movement I get when cycling.
    b.  It's good for my soul.
    c.  I feel integrated with the environment.
    d.  It allows me to be healthy, athletic and it perks me up.
    e.  Cycling helps me to keep a lower blood pressure.
    f.   I ride because it's fun. 
    g.  It's my source of exercise in the morning and at night.

Unexpected Community
       A Spanish conversation was had while traveling on the train this morning.  Unexpected community with someone I didn't know was a wonderful way to start the day.  Leonel shared about his love for his family which consists of his wife and three young sons----the oldest being seven.

       He was on his way to a job interview.  Most everyone else around on the train were in their cocoons, tethered to technology, isolated, as they read or punched away on their smart phones. It was wonderful being with some who was authentic.
2.  I valued Leonel's transparency, his allowing me to know him. 
“The common mistake that bullies make is assuming that because someone is nice that he or she is weak. Those traits have nothing to do with each other. In fact, it takes considerable strength and character to be a good person.”
                          ― Mary Elizabeth Williams
Not Accepting Unacceptable Behavior
      Two bullies tried confronting me today on two different occasions.  For more about the characteristics of a bully please read here.  Neither accomplished their goal; I was not intimidated.  I let them know that talking with either of them would take place when our discourse had dignity.

       What a gift such difficult moments can be. They allow me to practice boundaries and detach with love from those who want to cause grief. I'm thankful for the equanimity that living by healthy principles provides.

        I savor the dignity I have when I stay present, express my voice, and relate with others as equals----requiring respect and courtesy as prerequisites for any dialog. For further information that helps me keep perspective and allows me to have healthy boundaries, you can read here.

3. Serenity is mine----along with tranquility----when I don't accept unacceptable behavior or unreasonable demands. 

4. I got together with friends this evening, there were eighteen of us. Experiencing community gives me hope for mankind.

5. I dined with two friends afterwards. I'm amazed with what I learned from them. The support provided clarity with challenges I'm facing.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels