Sunday, September 2

Adding to Peace, One Moment at a Time, Even When Exhausted ....... 9/2/12

How blessed and good it is when brethren
 dwell together in unity.    Psalms 133:1
The hills in my neighborhood. I used to roam among
 these trees and still do, from time-to-time. 
    Good morning,

How are you?  As an aside, I reworked yesterday's post, adding links and additional comments. You might want to revisit it. It is another example of
lasagna cooked for a second time, usually it tastes better, when it is. My latent perfectionism is displayed. Writing is an appropriate area where I can let perfectionism loose, allowing it to exercise its legs.

     Today, I've been up since 4:30 a.m. My body is out of whack, in terms of my sleeping patterns. Earlier this week I had to rise early to meet some businessmen and I haven't been the same.

     I've made use of today's early hours to pray, meditate, study, write and reflect.  Would it be possible for you to please check in? You do that when you leave gratitudes in the comments section, below.

    What has lifted your heart with joy?  It's easy, complaining. Seeing the silver lining to life requires discipline. I know much about about that. What many guests to this inn don't know is that as a child I suffered from depression.

    That isn't the case, now. I don't want to mislead you. Life, at times---like now---can be hilly, perhaps even mountainous. As I posted the other day,
 "Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things."

     Gratitude is a muscle. The more we exercise it, the easier it is, and the stronger we become, emotionally and spiritually.  I know from personal experience.

     Yesterday, I met with others in the morn. The subject matter was a favorite of mine: having a spiritual awakening. You don't know it, but, even though I'm often a public speaker, I'm still introverted by nature. Professionally, I can be extroverted, outgoing. Afterwards, I need to withdraw, in order to recharge my batteries. 

     I was with more than twenty people, feeling emotionally vulnerable, I wanted to draw within my personal cocoon. I didn't. 

     Encouraged to speak, yesterday, I voiced my views. I really felt like passing, letting someone else talk, but didn't. That was growth for me.  I was tired and depleted by the outpouring of energy that happened in my various meetings yesterday and my lack of decent sleep. 

     I attended a business meeting yesterday, following that gathering.  I was surprised seeing the guy leading it was left-handed (so am I), because he didn't talk left-handedly. In fact I was annoyed, even though I didn't show it. I made sure to not react. (That took energy, and I had little to spare.) 

     Calmly, I disagreed with the moderator.  I'll him call Bob.  Bob tried controlling the discussion. That doesn't work for me, I like consensus when business is done, and asked for it, from those there. I invoked a written tradition of this organization. I reminded him and those attending that our authority is a loving God who reveals himself through our group conscience, our consensus. Nobody  governs, we are all equals. 

    Bob was perplexed, but yielded. That was something, considering he is a recently transplanted from New York City.  He didn't know how to respond as he was taken to task by a supposed laid-back Californian.  I'm not, especially when principles are violated.  Saying no, as gently as my yes, I've learned. Through practice, I'm kind and courteous, even when I disagree with others.  There's no need to be an angry dog. I prefer non-violent communication
    
    When his detailed, analytical, long sentences confused me, I told him so, as politely as I could. "I'm confused. I don't understand what you are saying."  When he talked over me, I was glad that I had the presence of mind to calmly say, "I'm sorry, but we don't talk over others.  Please allow me to finish what I'm saying." He did, and apologized. 

     I'm thankful during this time I used slogans that help. I asked if we could "Keep it Simple." At first, there was tension in the room. Most attending this meeting didn't see conflict handled well, in their families. Most had tyrants for parents (I knew those attending)---dictators who would not brook their opinions, especially as children.  Their feelings---like mine---as little ones or adolescents were neither validated nor valued, sought. 

     I knew many avoided this business meeting, because of Bob. Where once twelve attended, there were four of us, yesterday. Though tired, this fact prompted me to sit in. 

     I'm happy that when he felt put upon, that when he felt that he was being told that he was "wrong," that I clarified his perspective. 

     "I don't think this is a matter of you being wrong," I stated. "My focus is that we meet the need for harmony, trust, consensus----none of us here are to govern, we operate by a group conscience."
  
       I've always found, that when in conflict, instead of pinning blame on someone, looking at the needs presented in the issue of contention allows us to move forward, unencumbered by the weight of judgment, criticism, fear, or shame. I'm thankful for learning that that we can all have different opinions with none of us being wrong.  This allows us all to fit together.
"When no one has to be wrong, we can all fit in, just as we are."                            Courage to Change, p. 140
      After the business meeting, the two others besides Bob thanked me for attending.  I'm all for contributing to peace whenever I can. 
      

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Just a quick gratitude list (since you suggested it).

My children
I can walk
I do not drink anymore, nor do I have the desire.
I am learning to love.
It is a beautiful day, and I have seen two cardinals, who are my familiars. I name them all "Bob."
I will be able to attend an AA meeting tonight. They are like water in a desert to me.

I look forward to reading.
Thanks!

Catherine said...

I think I may have posted my last comment 3 times. If that is the case, I apologize. I am slightly handicapped with technology.

Pablo said...

Catherine,

Thank you for dropping by. I'm especially happy reading your gratitudes. I think you may have set a record. First time visitor who also left more than three gratitudes. Kudos to you!

You made the innkeeper pretty happy.

I'm impressed with your sobriety and your honesty. I'm very familiar with the Steps and recovery as a result of Al-Anon Family Groups, an organization that supports friends and family members of alcoholics.

Remember, you are not alone. As the innkeeper of this inn, you have my support, too.

I'm glad it's beautiful where you are.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you want, I can elaborate some possibilities why your daughter may have her fears regarding mortality.

By the way, you did fine. Your comments were posted only once.

Wishing you a great week,

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels