Sunday, September 2

I Had My Best Fall, Enjoying Freedom from Debby Downers---Emotional Vampires ..............9/2/12

This is no fun when this happens, as it did on July 4th this year. I bruised
 my ligament and didn't walk well for three weeks. Today, I had more luck. 
My Gratitudes for Sunday:
1.  I fell from my bike again. This time it was along the grassy entrance to a golf course.  It was interesting; it didn't
hurt this time.
2. My right leg is healing---boy, do I have battle scars from cycling. This is from the accident I had Wednesday afternoon, when I was riding down the High Street bridge.
3. I rode thirty-eight miles this evening (61 km.).  It was effortless and fun. It was towards the end of this journey, while talking to my son on the phone that I fell.  I'm seeing the need to keep both hands on my handlebar.  I can be fearless.
4. I lost my keys.
      They must have fallen out of the pouch I have under the saddle of my bike, when I crashed. At the time, it was dark, and I didn't realize what happened.  I didn't have the headlight to my bike with me.  I've lost it.
      In the morning, I'll have to return to the scene of the action.  Hopefully, they'll be there, lying on the lawn.
    Why am I grateful? Because I'm being gentle towards myself.  I'm not catastrophizing. This is an opportunity for me to practice patience towards myself.
5.   I had a fantastic conversation with my oldest son. I'm proud of him. I like his common sense and his quick intelligence.
      He's doing well with all the challenges he has at work---he's exceeding the expectations of his bosses. Good for him, and I'm not surprised!
Freedom From Unhealthy Influences/Emotional Vampires
Not Being Externally Referented
     I had a phone call with someone who got angry, because I was not moved by their negativity. I mentioned that no one can make me happy, sad or any other feeling without my giving them permission to do so. He didn't what I said and hung up on me.
      Just before that, this individual said people sometimes go through hard times because God is disciplining them. I disagreed. That's not my image or experience with God. I don't perceive Him as a Greek god, who zaps me into a greasy smudge on the sidewalk, because I do something wrong.
      He told me that he didn't want me to feel guilty, when he made his comment. That's when I said what I said that made him hang up. I find it fascinating when people get upset, because they are not upsetting me, even though they say they don't want to upset me.
      I'm in a playful mood, can you tell?  Sometimes I'm giddy when I see the freedom I have from the influences of negative people---even though they say they are not trying to play with my mind.
      I love that I can see the humor in moments that years ago would have stolen my serenity.

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Pablo,

This is the second song we visitors to this Inn would like to dedicate to our Innkeeper.

The song is "Lucky," written by Jason Mraz, and performed as a duet with Colbie Caillat. The following is a link to the music video on YouTube. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acvIVA9-FMQ

The lyrics are available on another YouTube video...

Today I am grateful for;

1. A brilliant PBS program on our local (SF) KQED Channel this evening; "Paul Simon Live at Webster Hall, New York." This is a must have performance, I'll be searching Amazon for...

2. That I could write to two sons without using life alienating communication, about an issue of love and care for their younger brother.

3. That my wife and I could join next door neighbors for the husband's 50th Birthday Party, and do so graciously in spite of arriving late and leaving early. I really had to process that one, because as a German/Norwegian, I despise arriving late and leaving early from anywhere, while my Polish wife is totally OK with that! But somehow, I avoided self-consciousness and external referencing, and we both had a great, if brief time at the party!

4. The new Steven Spielberg TV mini-series, "Into the West," airing for the next several Sunday's. My wife loves westerns, and I'm happy if/when she is happy!

Pablo said...

Carl,

I'm curious what prompted you to share this song? The scenery on the video was lovely.

Are you happy because you were able to express what was troubling you with your sons? Does that meet your need for connection and understanding with them?

I'm grateful for your consistency in sharing what makes you thankful. It contributes to the fellowship we share in this inn.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels