Sunday, September 23

A Spiritual Awakening, Appreciating Life's Gifts, Revisited ........9/23/12

Forgiveness is man's deepest need and highest achievement. Horace Bushnell
To forgive is God-like, and one of the greatest uses of our free will.
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. Mahatma Ghandi
Forgiveness is the price of Happiness. Mark Pilbeam, Hellsgeriatric
Forgiveness is freedom. Tony Dailo,
The glory of Christianity is to conquer by forgiveness. William Blake
Unforgiveness is the burning of the bridge we must cross ourselves.
(The photographer's caption)
      Good morning.  Yep, I usually don't work this early at the inn.  I wish everyone a wonderful Sunday.

        I'm bumping this post up.  It was written the first month this inn opened it's doors.  One of the all-time most popular posts, it is.  I hope, as suggested below, you'll discover a moment today where you experience one of the small gifts God gives us, each day, if
we but look.

       The past few days have been time for reflection.  I love it when I get off the bus of life and determine the direction I really want to go.  This happens when I consider what has transpired the past few weeks and try to listen to what God is saying.  That's what I've been doing, diligently for two weeks now.

       It's hard hearing the Almighty's voice if I let the white noise of busyness or the intrusions of today's technology, i.e., iPods, the internet, texting, smart phones, DVDs and CDs, distract me from what is important for my soul.  For me, that's serenity and the sanity I need to see life realistically.

       I'm not interested in living in a dream world, hiding within the sand of denial.  Reality is seeing life for what it is, disappointments and all.  That's what I've been dealing with: disappointment.  Hey, life happens.  For more about remedying this pox that pops up in life, read here.

       Today, I'll visit friends, traveling by bicycle three towns away to see them.  Afterwards, I plan on spending time with one of  them in-depth, followed by time at a library nearby.  This upcoming week will be stressful, different,  but good.  It will help me to separate from losses that I'm letting go of.  Life is good, if I surf with the waves of life, rather than resist them.
       Here's the post, please comment, let me know what you think.                     The Innkeeper

 A Spiritual Awakening
            The following passage reminds us to get the most out of life:
      Life has many treasures for me if I'm willing to accept them,but none can do more for me than learning really to live in the present.  That means being more aware of myself and of small happy things that often dramatize themselves into importance as I observe them with enjoyment. [For more about what it's like, being in this state, read here.] 
       No matter how grim the situation may be that has troubled all my waking thoughts, there are shining nuggets of pleasantness all around me to distract my mind from its cares. But I  must be on the lookout for them so they will not be lost to me!      
      Someone said it this way: 'For every man, the world is as fresh as it was the first day, and as full of untold novelties for him who has the eyes to see them.'  This is a constructive and rewarding way to achieve the detachment necessary from the urgent but unimportant demands of life.
"God make me receptive and aware; restore to me my capacity for wonder."
         I know the upcoming week will provide opportunities for us to meet our need for celebrating life.  During whatever season we're in, we do ourselves a favor when we make time to delight in the beauty that surrounds us.  In the winter, it may be nature draped in snow or the rare sunny moment.  Perhaps it's the loveliness of barren winter trees. 

        In spring, there are many wonders: the crack of a baseball making contact with a bat, playing cricket,  the chirping of birds or the buzz of lawnmowers sprucing up the neighborhood lawns. It may be listening to the roar of rain-swollen rivers, like the one pictured above,  while hiking.

         Fall offers many wonderful moments.  It may be sitting in a warm living room,  immersed with a good book  or enjoying the cool, crisp air while out for a walk.  Kind deeds nurtures us, any time of the year----whether we perform or receive them.  Being aware of these moments---staying present---increases our joy. 

         Looking out for the many mini-vacations the day provides is a great way to celebrate life.  Appreciating lovely clouds, the purr of a cat or experiencing the day-dreaminess that can pop up during "mindless" moments: they are little gifts life provides.  Sometimes they happen while frosting a cake, pulling weeds, sewing, nailing a board or doing dishes.

         I've learned to let go and luxuriate in those moments.  I breathe in life when I do.  The process of living is often as fulfilling as any tasks performed.  What does it cost to live this way?  Perhaps five minutes, often less, for these mini-vacations that delight us throughout the day.  

         It's worth having a heart of gratitude.  We're nurturing our soul----increasing our capacity for wonder----when we do.  We're seizing gifts God offers each day.  We're also developing an Attitude of Gratitude.
How About You?
       How have you encountered God, lately? For me, I've been slowing down. Freeing myself from distractions.  Having Quiet Time helps me gain perspective, and allows my spirit to breathe. You can read more about this subject, here
 Image: "Cumbria: Mountain River"  by Tim Blessed © all rights reserved, used by permission

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels