Sunday, September 9

Perseverance: Essential for Success, Revisited 9/9/12

In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream
 always wins–not through strength but by perseverance.”
 – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
       Service helps those who perform it.

       Such was the case, as I re-wove ideas taken from Beth Allen.  When finished, I was encouraged, invig-orated.   My hope is her comments will inspire you, too.

        Being consis-tently diligent in applying---daily---healthy principles, is necessary if we want personal progress, recovery.

       We do not become the person we want to be, by remain-ing the way we are.  Healthy values are to be a reality, not nice ideas floating in our mind.  Living the same old way, everyday, is a form of Learned Helplessness.

       If there is no movement towards wholeness, progress is nonex-istent.  Learned Helplessness is a form of denial.  We are not addressing what we can to do to have the life we want and deserve.
   
      We want to work on our weaknesses until they become our strengths.

       Recovery is to be anchored within our soul.  It is to be the core of who we are.  It is demonstrated in our lives. We want to be ideologically consistent.

       This means having integrity, being true to our values.

       Characterological change is not feeding our minds.  Principles of knowledge are not silver bullets.  Information does not slay the beasts we face in life.

       Knowledge will not overcome life's monsters of depression and fear. Thoughts alone do not overcome anxiety, or external referenting.  Personal growth, equanimity, and the strength that comes with it require strenuous, continual effort.

       Just like the guy pictured above.

       Such effort is birthed by realizingwe want to get the most out of life, not just live with resignation.  Our life improves when we replace the areas where we need to grow----with a new and better be-havior. (One Day At A Time, p. 280.)

        Growth isn't talking a good game.  We know words are cheap.  Spiritual regeneration that is real----or the lack of it----is reflected in every breath we take.

        Our character is revealed in the way we hold our shoulders, stomach, how we walk and smile.  It is reflected in how we treat the less fortunate when others are not looking,  We demonstrate who we are when we respond to those who lie to us, or try to manipulate.

        Being pleasant to unpleasant people while remaining true to our boundaries reveals recovery from codepend-ency. 

       The following re-written post reminds us to persevere.  We can, if  we rely on God's strength.  It also helps being mindful of the love many have for us.

       We are lovable, even when the world swirls us around and we do not know which end is up.  Holding fast to affirming principles, plac-ing them above our personality, gives us serenity and joy. 

        Listen to this from Beth Allen:
If someone asked me for one character quality that is the cor-nerstone for success, I would say perseverance.  Being great athletes, parents, leaders or achieving anything else---weight loss, reducing clutter, getting our finances in order, is really about willingness to per-sist in the face of challenges. We use these opportunities as a means to exercise our commit-ment towards whatever goal we seek.
Expecting the road to success to be a cakewalk leads to disap-pointment. No one is immune to the obstacles life presents. However, I hold the power to choose what I do with whatever challenge I face. 
So, how about you? Do you persist when times are tough?  Do you pause while assessing the obstacle? 
Do you view your situation positively, that what you face is an opportunity that can lead to growth and fulfillment?  
This is where a positive attitude is critical. [Click here, for more about this.] We live in a society of instant gratification. Many of us treat our goals in the same manner. 
  We may expect instant mas-tery, flawless performan-ces. We may want overnight success.  The truth is, our character and potential are determined by how we deal with the obstacles we face.  
It is in these moments that we can take it one step at a time, towards the fruition of our dreams.      Beth Allen
******** 
When nothing seems to help, I look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.  
Yet at the hundred and first blow it may split in two. I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.      Jacob Riis 
How About You? 
1. What helps you persevere, when you want to give up on a challenge, project, relationship, job or dream?  
2. What do you find as a source of strength, during difficult times? 
3. What quotes or principles spur you on, when times are tough? It would be great if we could share ideas that can inspire one another. 
     I'd love hearing your answers. 

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Pablo,

I'd like to share an excerpt from a book I'm reading, One Day At A Time in Al-Anon.

It is a daily reader, and this piece is from Sept. 9, page 253.

"Isn't my life full of potential good that I'm not using? Couldn't I bring it to fruition by changing my attitude? As a beginning, I will apply liberal amounts of gratitude for even my littlest advantages and pleasures. When I build on this precious foundation of present, tangible good, things will continue to change for the better."

It closes with a brief prayer..."God, make me grateful for all the good things I have been taking for granted."

My Gratitudes for today are;

1. That I could endure a longer than expected work day (11.5 hours), without frustration or regret, seeing I was actually placing more orders and being more productive.

2. That I could be at peace with adjusting my plans to accomplish one after-work task, instead of the three hoped for; the most pressing - to get a flat van tire fixed. I shifted my priorities, let go of expectations, all flowed smoothly, and it felt good.

3. To see our youngest son picking apples and figs in the garden with his (Platonic for now) gal pal, and enjoying their apple pie for dessert.

4. To surrender our normally serene backyard garden; my coffee and a good book at dusk sanctuary. Our kind next-door neighbors uphill from us, had a dozen friends over to dine alfresco on their large deck, overlooking our yard. I found an alternate spot to enjoy the waning sunlight, and was fine with that.

5. The good sense to graciously retire from these ramblings before I pass out; forehead embedded on keyboard!

Kumbawa, Pablo-san

Pablo said...

I love that passage. Thanks for sharing it! It reflects what I try to do here, in the inn. Filling my mind with positive thoughts is far better than dwelling upon the dreariness of life.

Recording my gratitudes, here in the inn, helps me develop a positive attitude.

Carl, you do not know how much I appreciate your gratitudes! I hope you made it to bed after posting here.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels