Friday, September 14

Boundaries: A Source for Sanity ....................9/14/12

     Good evening,

How are you?  So many good things happened this week, a time rife with tension and deep, negative emotions.
My Gratitudes for Friday:
1. I received tremendous support this week, beyond my wildest dreams.
2. I was loved in many different ways this week.  I'm still stunned by the
outpouring of affection received.  I'm thankful for the compassion, empathy, fellowship and sensitivity I've experienced during one of the most difficult seasons I've endured.  Yes---in my entire life.
     Loved ones and friends, visited me.   Phone calls and acts of loving service ministered to my well-being in ways I never would have imagined. I can't tell you have much their loving concern has lifted my spirit.
3. I'm adding new dimensions to work I do.  I participating in my own growth.  Good for me!  I'm thankful for opportunities that are expanding my creativity and resourcefulness.
4. I'm relating with a fellow who does not have boundaries.  Chaotic and unmanageable would describe his life. I'm mindful that his lack of preparation does not make his issues my emergencies, even though he wants me to rescue him.  Exercising boundaries while I'm with him, helps me maintain my sanity.
      Relating with boundaryless people is like pouring Miracle Gro on my recovery---being with such individuals forces me to tightly adhere to my principles and boundaries.  I will not surrender my joy by giving in to him.  This happens when I try saving others from the natural consequences of their behavior or their lack of boundaries.
Boundaries: A Source for Sanity
         I'm spending time with someone who is controlling.  This could be a problem.  I strongly value my autonomy.  Being the gratitude guy, I see this as an opportunity for exercising my principles.    
         Being with him is like practicing my tennis stroke by hitting a ball against a wall: by consistently responding with grace to his attempted intrusions into my life, I maintain my serenity, sanity and dignity----just barely (right now, due to the demands I'm facing, I'm emotionally vulnerable).  This fellow is providing multiple opportunities for me to exercise boundaries. So, that's a ya ay!
         If I'm not careful, he could disrupt my equilibrium.  Creating distance with him has been wonderful.  I'm thankful for the benefits of detaching with love.
         My boundaries are not for others to adhere to.  I have them so that I adhere to them. They are my sanity savers, joy producers and allow me to have the dignity I need.
6. Last night, I went to the movies with my youngest son, Josiah.  It was a great antidote to the stress I've known this week. We visited afterwards. Time spent with family, and the closeness we share is such a comfort.
7.  I celebrate having a business mentor.  His help has been like a steady lighthouse in the midst of a storm.
How About You? 
Is there someone or a situation in your life that could easily teeter your totter, dumping you into the morass of despair, depression or frustration?

     How do you handle such a situation?  I'm mindful of a quote I posted in the inn two months ago. You can read it here. This article is especially encouraging if you find yourself in a difficult circumstances. The point in the following quote inspires me as I surmount the challenges I face.
Here it is:
We must never forget that we may also find meaning in life even when confronted with a hopeless situation, when facing a fate that  cannot be changed. For what then matters is to bear witness to the uniquely human potential at its best, which is to transform a personal tragedy into a triumph, to turn one's predicament into a human achievement.   
When we are no longer able to change a situation--just think of an incurable disease such as inoperable cancer---we are challenged to change ourselves.   Viktor Frankl

4 comments:

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

Today I am grateful;

1. I could draft a timely and meaningful letter to immediate family and tribe that bears witness to my 41 year walk in faith.

2. That my #4 son could whip up a gourmet dinner, while #2 son and I went to the store and had some much needed quality sharing time together.

3. That we three could enjoy this delicious meal together on a Sunday night, as was our family tradition, before time and circumstance scattered us a bit.

4. That I could finally make it to the gym today to swim and relax; first time all this busy week.

5. That I can begin this week to explore, through reading and writing, the meaning and value of "my decision to turn my will and life over to the care of my God, as I understand Him."

Anonymous said...

Lately it feels as though, at every turn, there is someone or some situation that flips my world upside down. To handle the aftermath of these experiences, I am trying to focus on learning and growing. I'm trying to remember to be thankful for all of the little things.

Today, I am grateful for:

1. A thoughtful gesture from someone close
2. Caring words from a concerned friend
3. Finding the strength inside to make it through today and complete what I needed to complete
4. Having a moment of silence when it was greatly needed.

Thank you for your post Pablo and for helping me to open up a little. It's not something that comes naturally to me.

Pablo said...

Dear Carlos, el wingman,

I'm sorry for not replying sooner. I'd love knowing more about the letter you crafted. I bet you felt satisfied that you were able to express yourself to your loved ones.

Isn't it restorative, spending time with family? I know the son who went shopping with you won't forget the memories you made with him.

Good for you, you took care of yourself by working out at the gym! Any revelations as you mused upon your relationship with God? It would be great hearing your answer.

Carl, once again, as the innkeeper of this inn I award you with the Attitude of Gratitude Award for last week! You are an example for the many guests who drop by. How is it for you, posting your gratitudes with regularity?

Wishing you a terrific rest of the week,

The Innkeeper

Pablo said...

Dear Morgan,

Thank you, for dropping by, reading and posting your comments. You make the work I do hear worthwhile.

I appreciate your posts. I like your openness. You got the spirit! As I posted in my post about the vision to this inn (which can be found in the right sidebar under "All Time Favorite Posts"), it isn't that unhappy people complain as much as complaining makes us unhappy.

Several millennia ago, it was written: "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

Thank you for contributing to the positivity of this inn with your gratitudes!

I'm honored that you were comfortable enough to open up and share. I don't take your effort for granted. Thank you for making my day!

The Innkeeper

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels