Sunday, November 4

Miracles Still Happen, Even in Alameda: Hope Gives Us Strength ......11/4/12

      Well, today was one of those days----they don't happen too often to me. It was a frightful day, several times! Golly.

I lost my wallet. Afterwards, for several hours I was stunned.  I'm feeling a bit better, now.  When it happened, emotionally it felt
like I was sucker punched.  I was reeling. I lost it while riding my bike with my friend, Stuart.

   My Gratitudes for Today:
1. I'm thankful that I'm using this experience as an opportunity to be gentle towards myself. I haven't lost my wallet since I was twenty-two.  Ouch.
2. I called my bank and my cards are now cancelled. I'm getting new ones.
3. I appreciate Stuart's support, when this happened. He was kind, he didn't make me feel stupid----not that he would.
4. I'm grateful for my emotions.
      When this loss happened I felt the intensity of them. It's okay have feelings, even the negative ones.  I did.  I let them wash over me, and then I released them.
5. I needed to speak with someone about an issue that frustrated me, related to him.

      I did this after I lost my wallet. I was calm, even though my mind was elsewhere and disturbed, shocked by the loss of this afternoon. I'm thankful for learning how to express my concerns without using shame, blame, guilt, fear or judgment.  He was able to hear me, because I spoke graciously.

      Thank God for maturity, placing principles above the vulnerable parts of my personality.
6. It was interesting that I felt tears well up inside---tears of frustration.

        It was not frustration with the fellow I was speaking to, but about today's events. I'm glad I don't shut them off, and I was aware of them.  I felt the fullness of my feelings without being overwhelmed by them.

        That's a healthy response: feeling, grieving, letting the tumultuous feelings go and then determining my options, considering my circumstances.  Life is all about perspective, isn't it?

--------------NEWSFLASH------NO FOOLING!--------

        Just as I typed the last paragraph, I got a call.

        Yup, it happened.

         A policewoman asked, "Are you Pablo Fuentes?  I'm with the Alameda Police........."  Before she said anything else,  I exclaimed, "are you calling me because you found my wallet??!!"

          I can be a bit exuberant, if you didn't know. I AM Latin, after all.  :->

          "Yes, H and I Security found it, on the corner of Davey Jones and Island Ave., in Harbor Bay (a nice part of the City of Alameda)," she said with a smile in her voice.  She was not accustomed to unvarnished enthusiasm from an elated adult citizen.

          "I have goosebumps all over me, because of your call. Thank you!!!" I enthused.

          "I'm heading over to your home, to deliver it to you." Can you beat that?? I didn't think so.

           With that information, I thanked her and waited outside. I called Stuart, letting him know what happened.  He was excited too, and he doesn't get excited.

           God is good, isn't He?  Wow!

*************************************

           I just got in from getting my wallet from the policewoman. All the money, cards and I.D. are there, in place.  Am I lucky.

           During this afternoon's ride I lost a glove.  They prevent my hands from bleeding, when I crash, something that has happened five times since March. That's what can happen when you are putting in 500-600 miles a month, feel athletic and move pretty fast, like, 30-40 miles an hour.

           My cycling buddy, Stuart and I doubled back on our ride and found the glove.  After riding along the south shore of the island and mountain biking a rougher, sandier, rockier portion of the shore, I noticed I lost my beloved cyclometer, it fell off its holder on my handlebar.

           We retraced our path three miles and we found it.  It's only one-and-half inches by one-and-a-quarter inch.  It could have been picked up by the many who walked along the shore, but nope, there it was, waiting for us.

           You don't know this about  me. I'd die without it.  Without it, I wouldn't ride my bike, I must confess.  That's a fact.  It keeps track of the miles, to one-tenth of a mile, the speed of my efforts to one hundredth of a second, for  each ride.  I log this info on my computer.  I love seeing measurable progress.

           I wanted to treat Stuart to a sandwich, in celebration of finding the little computer when I realized I did not affix my wallet too well to my rack---it was gone.  Yikes!

          And now, you know the rest of the story, how my day went.  There were many fluctuations of emotions. I'm bushed, but happy.  I've been up since 4:00 a.m. this morning.  I'm tuckered out, hitting the hay.
           But there's a smile on my lips and much gratitude within my heart.  Life is good.

           You know what went through my head when I thought of my lost the wallet---my driver's license, the money inside and all my cards? You want to know the truth?  You could ask Stuart. He could vouch for the said events and my comments.

            I quoted this passage to this friend of more than 25 years:
"Ah Lord God, thou has created the heavens and the earth by thine outstretched arm, nothing is too difficult for thee."  Jeremiah 32:17
  I believed  he could cause a miracle.
            By his grace, he did.

            Having hope overcomes feelings of depression and certainly reduces our need for counseling.
How About You? 
What is a recent miracle you've experienced in your life? I'd love hearing your stories.

4 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

That's so amazing that they found your wallet with everything still in there. People are inherently good :)

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

WOW! That is one fantastic story; one of faith, hope, grace and liberation, all wrapped into one, long, but infinitely rich day! Who knows...maybe, especially in Alameda?

My miracles and gratitudes for these past three days; Friday, Saturday and Sunday are too many to recollect and post here, but I will try;

1. That I could have a very real and personal experience on Friday morning at work with the slogan, "Let it begin with me," and with the 3-A's; Awareness, Acceptance and Action (from page 256,in the excellent daily reader "Courage to Change"). Receiving an unexpected, yet hearty, 5:00AM "No" from my boss halted my effort to charm my way out of responsibility for an oversight the day before. It forced me into the Three A's. With Acceptance (80% of the solution), my burden was lifted, which led me to Awareness (18% of the solution)of what next steps I needed to take with grace toward myself, and finally to the last 2% of the solution; Action. The rest of my day could have been an emotional train-wreck, went forward like an on-time bullet train! This early morning resolution in recovery was the best birthday gift I could have given myself!

2. A lovely, home-cooked Birthday dinner that evening with family and friends, topped of with home-made pumpkin/caramel cheesecake and three hands of tile-rummy.

3. A deeply uplifting and enriching Saturday morning breakfast meeting with my mentor, in which he modeled for me how to overcome agitation with my initial communication missteps with "How important is it?", helped me contextualize my Three A's experience the day before vis a vis the similar trait my #3 son inherited from me, the importance of winning the Grand PRIX; that is, standing in my own Recovery, Power and Integrity, to win an eXcellent life! He ultimately showed me how to celebrate the joy that healing and recovery provide. I was once again moved by the grace, benevolence and patience with which he both illuminated and corrected my character flaws; all for healing and growth.

4. The excellent guidance that grew out of that conversation on how to handle that "avoided, yet much needed" conversation with my boss; the Grand PRIX.

5. A lunchtime visit on Saturday with my aging Mom and doing her grocery shopping after a too-long, two-week hiatus.

6. Long weekend naps and lap-swimming sessions at the gym.

7. An extra hour of sleep on Saturday night, courtesy of Daylight Savings Time.

8. A belated birthday dinner with mi esposa at an Italian Restaurant where we could avail ourselves of an old $50.00 gift coupon while enjoying a fine meal and rich conversation.

9. Having Monday off to catch up on my homework, enter this blog post, and work with my entrepreneurial youngest son on cleaning out our garage clutter, so he can have the needed space to move his clothing design, and tailoring business forward.

10. The chance to possibly meet with existing and new friends at a new-to-me Monday night gathering in San Leandro.

Pablo said...

Yes, Keith,

Amazing and encouraging, for today's times, miraculous, that I got my wallet back with everything in it, including my money.

Wow.

Thanks for keeping me company; it was getting to be a little lonely, over here, in the inn. :->

A grateful-to-have-visitors innkeeper

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

You are a fortunate man. Character growth, good food and fun, all on your birthday!

Carl, I wish I had a mentor like yours. Count your blessings, you are a lucky guy.

Your comments today let me know you are taking care of yourself. Kudos to you, you are investing in your sanity and happiness.

Have fun tonight, it sounds like you are enjoying your day off.

Thank you, for contributing to the positivity of this inn, by sharing your gratitudes!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels