Thursday, November 15

A Recipe for Relational Failure 11/15/12

     Good evening,

I'm squeezing this in (see how skinny it is right here?), making this post under the wire, before this day changes its name to Friday.  How are you?  I'm doing well, thank you very much. (That phrase always reminds me of Andy Kaufman.)

1.   I'm thankful for a new source for
the lovely images I place in this inn.  It delights my entire body, when art captures my eye. Perhaps you can tell, I'm extremely visual. And, even though I usually deny it heartily, I do have a photographic memory. But it's not like you think.

        This memory is selective. If something is important, I concentrate and make a mental snapshot. I don't memorize everything. Otherwise, my brain would be overloaded.

       But, yes, I can remember graphs from high school history books, conjugations of Classical Greek words from college, what a person was wearing on a date 20 years ago, or since then. And yep, most of the quotes I share in this inn are from memory, including the page numbers.

      That's me, for good or ill.

      I am able to revisit all the beautiful things I've seen.  I'm a lucky guy. Some may say it's a gift, I believe memory can be developed.  I've lectured on this subject in college. Those I mentor learn how to memorize passages---it's not that hard.  Really.
 
     I appreciate having a vivid connection with life.

2.  I love color.  I enjoy seeing them woven together, be it in a painting, in nature or otherwise. Color stimulates my being and mind.
3. I love the wonder that can be found here on earth, within nature, within a person, within a thought.
4.  I look forward to speaking this Saturday.
      I'll be before a large crowd. Can't wait, I enjoy public speaking. This is something I've done since I won the position as student body secretary in the fifth grade.
        I still remember the speech I gave that won the election (Some of came from a speech by Pericles.) I have fond memories of speeches I gave in school assemblies when I participated in student council, in high school.

5. I'm happy Buster Posey of my beloved team, the San Francisco Giants, won the MVP Award for the National League in Major League Baseball. This is the first time since the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates that a single major league team won the All-Star, League and World Series MVP in the same year.
6. I made efforts at resolving a problem that hearkens back to May, when someone ruined my birthday celebration. I wrote this person tonight.
6. I look forward to a midnight ride on this blustery night, right after this is written, before the upcoming storm appears. I enjoy the vigor or good health and connecting with the world around me in a physical way.
7. I'm grateful for each of you who make this inn what it is---a place of rejoicing, fellowship and positivity. I really appreciate you who write comments.  When you do, you add to the intimacy we share here.
8. I am delighted with the person who is interning with me. She's wonderful. Her name is Sarah. She's a gift. We're getting things done. We had a meeting on Tuesday that was productive and the work we're doing will demonstrate itself not only in my practice, but here, too. Be on the lookout for her positive influence.
9. I'm very happy for the increasing clarity I have regarding someone I was getting to know.
          I'm relieved that I'm circumspect when relating with others, especially women. When it comes to friendships I don't believe in ready, fire, aim, trying to make things better after the fact. I'd rather know their personality and values before I allow myself to get emotionally invested.
         That's right, I place principles before the vulnerable parts of my personality. Which most of you know is a mantra of mine, that I share here, often. I've learned the hard way, that this is the best approach.
         I don't care how friendly, attractive or receptive someone is. I need to see we are a match when it comes to values that are important to me.

         (Shhhh---do you want to know what the deal breaker was with this person? She lived within her mind. She didn't connect with God. She did everything in her own power.  In my book, that's a recipe for failure.
 
         Considering God's will was foreign to her.  Life was about her relying upon her resources. God wasn't even an afterthought.  That was sad for me to see. Life is too hard for one person to try making it alone.

        As always, I don't ask you to agree with me. Please take what you like and leave the rest. I'm just letting you know me a bit better.)

        I have to go---my bike, the cool grey skies and roaring wind are calling my name.  I need to bundle up and hit the road.
 

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Good luck on your speech Pablo! I'm sure you'll do fantastic! And congrats to Mr. Posey and your SF Giants.

Syd said...

Everyone has a different path. I understand that. Perhaps those who don't have the advantage of the 12 steps will eventually explore their feelings. But I know that there is more than one way to serenity.

Darryl Orrell said...

Brother Pablo,

Best wishes on your upcoming public speaking engagement and I will certainly keep you in prayer. I too, have an upcoming opportunity to preach and I am indeed looking forward to it.

An Inn is only as good as the one who takes care of it that is its Keeper, and from the looks of it, your Inn is well maintained in its service to our Lord.

Blessings!
Thought of the Week Devotion

Pablo said...

Keith,

It meant a lot to me, reading your comments when you published them. I was busy this week prepping for my talk.

I think Buster Posey has "greatness" written all over him. What's nice is that he leads by example, is courteous and has a hard work ethic, all qualities that we want to aspire to have.

Pablo said...

Syd,

You have more faith than me, regarding finding our way to serenity. I commend you for that quality. More power to them that can find it without using recovery.

I've found that I could not experience the healing I've known, were it not for using the tools, resources and steps found in Al-Anon Family Groups.

May your Thanksgiving week be filled with love and warmth!

Pablo said...

Brother Orrell,

I will pray for your opportunity to share your faith. May it uplift the hearers, inspire their faith and motivate them to love and good deeds.

Thank you, for your kind words. I appreciate you dropping by, reading and commenting. I value the fellowship we share when you do!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels