Monday, November 19

Equanimity While Dealing With An Angry Person 11/19/12

       How are you?

Today was different from most days.  This evening was a time when I enjoyed equanimity, even when an emotional storm raged while I was relating with another
person.  On the phone, we spoke, just before writing this post.
        I'll get to that in a moment.  But first....  

 Gratitudes for Monday:
1.  I sorted through challenges I'm facing as my practice is growing.  It's a good problem having, I prefer it to the alternative.
2. I appreciate support from my friend Stuart and someone else.

     Stuart has been on a roll; I'm fortunate he's in my life.  He provided business savvy I lacked.  I'll apply what he and the other person shared.

     Tomorrow, I use their suggestions when making business calls.  I'm thankful for the increasing insight I get when others share their experience, strength and hope about running a business.
3. I cooked for three hours tonight.

        I batched several meals that will get me through next several days.  Tomorrow, I'll  prepare for Thanksgiving.   Cooking slows me  down.

        My soul felt better as I detached from pressures I'm feeling by taking time, cooking home-made soup and meals.

Calmness in the Eye of the Emotional Storm

        This evening, I had an interesting time with an upset person.  He told me it was "stupid" saying what I tried expressing.  His comment was intriguing.  I was unable to communicate my thoughts.  How, then, would he know the wisdom, or the lack of it, in what I was unable to say?

        Three times,  I tried expressing my point.  Each time resulted in belittling statements from him. Since our conversation wasn't constructive, I informed him we would talk another time.  He mentioned "that's typical!" got angry and hung up.  Other than that, the conversation was fine. (I'm kidding.)

       Well, that's a fine how do you do.  Did I take his comments and behavior personally?   No.

       His actions were a statement about him.  I'm thankful I don't allow others to determine my moods or define me.  (For more about this subject, you can also read here.)  It's a relief,  no longer being triggered by the negative emotions of others.

       As I often write here, when someone is agitated,  it reveals that person is emotionally fevered.  It doesn't make their behavior right.  But it does allow me to not take it any more personally than when someone is physically sick.  Their reactions has nothing to do with me.

       Oh yeah, one thing worth pointing out. When a person gets angry when adhering to our values (boundaries, in this case a need for dignity, respect and reciprocity---I allowed him to speak, and equally wanted to share my point of view), often, they are using manipulation.

       Tonight's upset person on the phone didn't want me to make decisions based upon my values.  He wanted me to make our choices based upon his reaction to them.  That would be placing his personality above my standards.  That's an unsafe idea.  It is being externally referented.  That's no longer a reaction of mine.

      The angry person tonight tried removing my ability to express myself,  a basic right of an adult.  I wish this agitated person well, but I will never surrender my integrity to no one, not even an angry, intimidating person.

       I know he'll cool down. Then, we can have our conversation. When we do, it will be with dignity and mutual respect.
      Gratitude Number Four:

       I appreciate the opportunity to practice patience. I felt my emotions during the short conversation with the angry person tonight.  However, I processed them and let them go.

      I'm deeply thankful I've learned to respond and not react to the vicissitudes of life.  I know joy; it is not based upon external circumstances.   It is not robbed by behavior or words from others that don't meet my needs for tranquility, harmony, emotional safety and ease. Am I glad.

      In the meantime, I'm heading for bed with an Attitude of Gratitude----I'm free from allowing others having power over me.  I'm thankful for my autonomy, and integrity.  Tonight, I remained true to my values, even when this person tried getting me emotionally off-balance.

     Thank you, for dropping by, I appreciate your company!

6 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Dealing with an angry person is among the most stressful of situations - especially when you're a person who's not prone to conflict. I always try to diffuse the situation in a mature manner - as it seems you did as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pablo :o),
when somebody is trying to manipulate me by convincing me that their truth is the only truth in this world,I just don't say anything.I go inside of me,in the center of me,hold on to what my essence is and I ignore the other person's bad behavior.Then I continue doing my thing.
However,sometimes I wish I'd say something,but I'm absolutely not a confrontational person.
Bye...

Syd said...

Sounds like you did well. It is hard to not take some things personally. You seem to be in a good place.

Pablo said...

Keith,

I'm in agreement with you: angry people can a big stressor. I'm learning to see occasions with an upset person as an opportunity to practice compassion and create dialog. Of course, that is only true if that person is open to respectful dialog.

Pablo said...

Jasmina,

I appreciate hearing your point of view. I agree: confrontation can be very difficult.

You may find the following post helpful: Expressing Feelings

Let me know what you think.

Thank you for dropping by, reading and posting your comment. I wish you a great weekend!

Pablo said...

Syd,

You are right. Conflict can take its toll, if I'm not careful. One thing I've heard in Al-Anon Family Groups is that for every year we've been in the program, we get one second of response time. That can be the difference between reacting and responding.

Thanks for your encouragement. It means more than you know. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your wife!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels