Wednesday, November 14

Hope for the Past: Restoring the Years the Locust Have Eaten, Part IV 11/14/12

Yes, our past can be restored
         Here's a change.....Good Morning!

Yesterday, I was petered out after rising at 4:00 a.m. and having a busy and hectic day at work.  One session was especially draining. Usually that's
not the case.  I bedded down early last night. I took care of myself.  I knew I was exhausted---I was unable to think---a rare event.

        Lately, I've grown increasingly aware of the value of exercise.  It helps me cope with the side-effects of my job. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the work I do.

       It requires that I be empathetic, but my job can also deplete me.  Yesterday's intense session was excellent: I was "on," the client made fantastic progress.  The time was wonderful, fulfilling and even rewarding.  But, it took its toll on me.  The fact I rose early probably contributed to being tired.

Self-Love:Being Gentle Towards Our Mistakes
       Life is all about balance, isn't it?  After that appointment, what did I do?  I went to my favorite cycle shop and bought a non-drip water bottle.  Am I glad.  I inexpensively treated myself, getting something I really wanted.

       I lost my insulated, metal water bottle a couple of weeks ago. I left it at a public meeting.  I socialized with several others after it was over.  In my rush out of the room, I left without it.  Gosh.  If that is the biggest of my worries, I'm doing pretty good, I figure.

      The new bottle fits the bottle rack on my bicycle. Until this purchase, I was buying bottles of water at the store, squeezing them into the rack. Now, I'm set again.  Good.

It Wasn't a Small Act, A Minor Matter

      It seems like this purchase was a small thing, doesn't it?  It wasn't.  I've routinely been drinking 64 oz. of water, as in daily, for more than twenty-five years.  I've found it's a good thing, keeping my body lubricated.  Water does the trick.

      I lose things a lot.  And, that's okay.  My life is busy.  I go from one event or appointment to another.  I carry a lot of things with me, always have a satchel of books----I use them in sessions, when teaching, doing public speaking or have time to study in the midst of my busy day.  Along with my books are colored markers, notepads, 5x8 cards, my bicycle accoutrements, and fruit.

      Unfortunately, more times than I like, I leave something behind.  When that happens, it is an opportunity to practice grace and patience towards myself.  It allows me to treat myself with gentleness, kindness and forgiveness.

       As a child, such loving qualities were not extended by one demanding parent, when I erred.  Unfortunately, then, I didn't have the wherewithal---psychologically or emotionally---to realize my father suffered from the tragic disease of perfectionism.  I didn't see it for the abusive disease it is.

Hope For the Past
     There's hope not only for the present and future.  There's also hope for the past.  Yes, the past. I can go back to the past, revisit it and heal those portions that disturbed me. Yep, heal them.  Living by healthy, gracious, forgiving, considerate principles, I am able to apply them to those around me---especially towards those I cherish, my sons and my Balcony People.

      When I do, I'm creating a new legacy, taking steps towards demolishing the old.  I'm transforming inadequate family paradigms that once presented distorted childhood values.  Replacing these standards with healthier principles and gentle, loving responses is a wonderful form of self-care.  My behavior allows others to know God's love, acceptance and encouragement, through me.
"One life showing the way is better than ten tongues trying to explain it." 
       Let it begin with me.

      We can, as Gandhi said, be the change we want to see in the world.  Yes, our healthy, loving, behavior, wrought from connecting with God and personal growth reflects more than change to the world.  It also speaks of triumph, restored wholeness, and recovery over past harmful legacies that never served any helpful purpose.

How About You? 
      What is a restored legacy you'd like to see come about in your life?  I always enjoy hearing from you and the community we share in this inn.

4 comments:

David C Brown said...

Interesting: would you like to have a look at http://dcbverse.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/at-inn.html "AT THE INN"

Pablo said...

Hello David,

Thanks for dropping by and commenting. I visited your place. I liked what I read.

Wishing you a great Thursday!

Carl H said...

Dear Innkeeper,

A restored legacy I can see gradually unfolding in our family is life affirming communication. As I have learned from a dear friend and mentor, non-violent communication (to avoid blame, shame, fear, guilt and judgement) can be a major legacy-changer in a family, if I "Let it begin with me," and "Show the way." As Albert Schweitzer aptly said, "Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing." How true!

Today I am grateful for;

1. A excellent dinner chat and renewed clarity with our youngest son about his college and entrepreneurial plans for the next three years.

2. Time spent at Pebble Beach and Carmel, during a business day trip. Time seems to literally slow way down (really!) in these laid-back, serene, pristine and achingly scenic towns along the 17 Mile Drive. A delicious business lunch in Carmel helped ease the stress of long hours "in the saddle."

3. An Inn (like this) we can visit anytime and drink in refreshing words of wisdom, hope and inspiration, and... hopefully leave behind something of value for someone, from our own journey.

4. An early retirement after a long work day.

Pablo said...

Dear Carl,

That's a fantastic legacy to see restored---compassionate communication!

Carmel, Pebble Beach and 17 Mile Drive are amazing places to visit. There are worse places to see. :->

Thank you, for your kind words. It makes what I do here worthwhile.

Wishing you a terrific Thursday!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels