Saturday, November 3

A Father's Happy Heart .................................11/3/12

Because of recent rains, the hills nearby are looking like this. 
    Good evening,

How are you?  Did you have a good Saturday?  Mine was intense, fun, scenic and fulfilling. Can't beat that. More about my happy heart, after the gratitudes.
My Gratitudes for Today:
1. I had an intense time with someone I mentor.  Our conversation hit the ground, running.  I appreciate his
honesty about his vulnerabilities.  He's working a hard program, which is encouraging.
2.  I met with others, afterwards, on the other side of the island.
      I saw someone there who's been a challenge to understand, confrontational, at times. Today, he was in a good mood, even smiling when we greeted each other.  It was nice experiencing ease, when with him.
Unwinding From a Stressful Week
     After visiting these friends, I went for a long ride. Was I glad; it was overdue.  And how.  For twenty miles, I soared on two wheels, celebrating my health, vigor and the amazingly warm, clear, kelp-scented, majestic views that assaulted my senses.
     Hearing the gentle slapping of waves against the shore, as I rode the perimeter of Alameda was embryonic, soothing.  Noting the birds bobbing in the water, along with the sailboats, and riding upon the green felt of newly grown grass that poked through the sandy shore---due to recent rains---was comfort for my eyes.
     Inhaling the bay's scent and the sight of those enjoying today's lovely weather invigorated my soul.  I used the recently purchased, oversized bell I have my bike. It did its job, while I wove between those strolling the seashore.
      Hearing it, pedestrians moved to the right, a few even apologized---a first!  The ride was more serene. No longer did I call out, "to your left!!!" or, "I'm right in front of you!!" if they walked into my path, coming from the opposite direction, their iPods making them oblivious to the impending crash-course introduction.
3. I'm glad I made time to enjoy life, nature, and my rides are becoming more enjoyable and serene.
4.  Today, I bought a cushiony shin guard. Ya ay!
     I'm doing everything to prevent problems I've had, the result of accidents while cycling.  The painful, searing infection in my right leg due to a recent spill is a great motivator.  I value the peace of mind and emotional ease this purchase provides.
Time With Family
   This evening I had a terrific visit with my oldest son. It was heartening, hearing reports about the way his employer is treating him.  I had no doubts he'd do well.  He is.
    In turn, they recognize the amazing asset he is. They are compensating him accordingly.  Hurray, I'm happy for his success!
    I appreciate the way he quietly redirected our conversation. I'm thankful he expresses his needs, tactfully.  We visited for a couple of hours. I'm happy we communicate as I do with my best friend, one I've known since I was eleven. All of my sons are my equals. They have been, since they were sixteen.
    This son and I express our ideas as fast as we want, running at the same pace.  I'm fortunate having amazing sons.  They are proof that God does far better for them than I ever could, when I get out of their way!

How About You? 
      What did you like best about your day, Saturday?
 What I Enjoyed Most: Time With Family
       For me, the best part of today was spending time with my oldest son.  He spoke of his growth, experience and joy regarding the new job he got right after graduating from college this June. He's the Director of Marketing.
      I'm proud of him.  Not so much because of his accomplishments---and they are many that he's achieved,  but because of the character that lies beneath them.  He's patient, discerning, has people skills, creative, assertive, confident and takes initiative---all qualities that contribute to his success.
      But one thing more he has, and it's vital.  He loves God, relies upon Him and and he's humble.
      I aspire to be like him.  I love my son.  Privileged, I am, being his father.  And for that, I have an Attitude of Gratitude.

1 comment:

Pablo said...

Hi Loredana,

Come stai? È meglio per voi, adesso, dopo la tempesta?

I love this photo, too. I grew up where these hills were photographed----in Fremont, CA. I hiked these very hills as a kid.

I've found Hope for Today, Paths to Recovery and Courage to Change as helpful for my growth and recovery from the stress of my childhood.

Può avere una splendida settimana, troppo.

Paolo

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels