Wednesday, November 7

A Busy and Fulfilling Day: Coping With Stress: Freedom from the Tyranny of the Urgent 11/7/12

Image: "Cumbria: Windmere Dawn" by Tiim Blessed
My Gratitudes for Wednesday:
1. I had a great session with a new client.
     My fourth new client in
the past two weeks. I love what I do. I enjoy helping others.
      The time was intense, but good. After this session I was tired,  they can take a lot out of me. My profession requires that I maintain balance. The draining nature of my work led me to the next gratitude.
2. I came home after my morning work, changed clothes and cycled twenty miles in one hour and 15 minutes.
      It felt great putting in a longer ride.  The sand was packed on the south shore of the island where I live, due to recent rain.  It made cycling over it easier.
3. I had a terrific time with two men, while enjoying dinner.  The time was emotional----I had no idea it would be.  I liked the authenticity, openness, love and content we covered while we spent time with each other.

The Tyranny of the Urgent
      Tonight, I spoke before an audience.  I covered the indispensable role of prayer and meditation plays in us maintaining our sanity and serenity.  I mentioned how such moments allow us to pause and get perspective.
      I shared, as I have here, that if we are going in the wrong direction, it does not help, running the opposite way, if we are on the wrong bus.
     Prayer and meditation allows me to get off of the hectic bus of life and PAUSE. This is a much needed antidote to the hurly burlyness of modern day living.  My quiet time, connecting with the God of my understanding, gives me perspective.
      Instead of reacting to life, like animals do, my reflective, spiritual time allows me to sort out the important things that God wants me to do and do them.
     Often what He beckons me to do are not urgent---but they are definitely more important. Hurray for freedom from the Tyranny of the Urgent!
4. I love public speaking, I had fun tonight. Best, the gathering enjoyed the topic and responded afterwards, during the open discussion that followed. I enjoy making my life count.
5. After the evening's event, several of us went to a local restaurant and had coffee.
6. I'm meeting with an intern who will start working for me this Friday.  I look forward to strengthening my business, as a result of our efforts.
7. I'm going to bed after posting this.  I'm bushed.  Cycling has a wonderful way of creating a delicious, healthy exhaustion. I look forward to a fantastic night of sleep, knowing that today, my best efforts were good enough.
How About You?
What are your three gratitudes for today? 

3 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

My gratitudes for today are:

My best friend

My little kitten who is psychotic but lovable nonetheless

The upcoming holiday season!

Pablo said...

Keith,

At one time you shared your sister was your best friend. Do you now have two best friends?

Hey, it sounds like your cat has character---my type of feline.

Wishing you a sensational weekend. Thanks for dropping by, reading and sharing your gratitudes. You make this inn better, when you do!

Pablo said...

Loredana,

It's my pleasure visiting your place! Thomas Merton said the same thing as you: "If all we could say is 'thank you' that would be enough, when we prayed."

What helps you to reduce or handle stress? I'm always interested in hearing remedies others have; I'm open to new ideas.

Thanks for your good wishes. May you have a great and grateful weekend!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels