Saturday, December 10

Enjoying Special Moments, Especially During a Frazzling Season.................. ....................12/10/11

I waving at you. I know you can't see me, I'm standing underneath the rocket.
      How is everyone?
How was your week? Did you make time to invest in yourself? During this Christmas season, it's important to do something for
yourself. If we're not careful, we can easily get frazzled during December. 
     What was your high point for the week, the best thing that happened to you? Let me tell you about one of mine. Yesterday was grand. 
     Early in the day I studied, prayed and meditated.  I require this time. It orients me; I come away refreshed. Not so mushed by the pressures of the day and season, feels wonderful. My Quiet Time does that for me. 
     Later, I met with clients. Best of all, late afternoon and Friday evening was enjoyed with my three sons. It was a fun family time.
     Driving through stop-and-go traffic, on the Nimitz Freeway, from the island city of Alameda to Fremont, was less than pleasant. But reuniting as a familial clan of men made it worthwhile. While navigating the freeway, my Blue Tooth was handy. Returning calls while avoiding big rigs, as my car crawled its way towards my sons, charged me with feelings of efficiency. 
     Rendezvousing at a park, we used eight reusable rockets.  They soared through the skies, out of sight, returning to Earth after several minutes. One nearby roof of a house caught on fire because of a rocket. 

     Oops!  

     We felt bad about that. But we continued on, anyway.

     (Just kidding.)

     It's hard arranging for us men to convene together. Yesterday was an exception, and am I glad. The fact that a son graduated from college this week made it easier. He's usually unavailable. Academic duty called. 
      Being that we gathered two weeks ago, we were happy sharing time together, again, so soon. Cool, crisp, weather, the backdrop of a moon that was 98% full and experimenting with rocketry made for an memorable day.
    We commandeered the park. Anyone getting near us had a loaded rocket pointed at them. They'd skip away, not looking back. (I'm playing with you, again, seeing if you are awake.)  In truth, it was surprising. Our activity didn't draw a crowd, nor the police, which was a relief. Having wholesome-looking sons probably helped.
    Now, we may have been a bit old for what transpired at the park. However, we had a blast, literally. The need for the innkeeper to get new glasses became apparent when I stood out in the field and one of the rockets hit me
     (I'm not serious.)
    The missiles soared into the skies.  I was unable to track their flights until they were a few hundred feet from earth. Still, it was fun.
        Often, it helps having a goal. I removed my bright blue and green windbreaker, placing it on the ground, several hundred yards from us. I challenged everyone to see if they could calculate the trajectory, power of the rocket, wind and distance, and have the missile hit the coat.
    Tried, we did. 
    None succeeded in hitting the coat, but the evening was satisfying, nonetheless. We soared those rockets forty times, at least.  Like life, it wasn't the goal, but the process of attempting to reach it, that was most fulfilling, in addition to the time spent together as a family. It didn't hurt that we had pizza immediately following our adventure, and we took in a movie, for free, after that. 
     One thing I've learned over time. Part of celebrating life is, instead of obsessing or getting involved with crisis, is having fun, acting spontaneously, creating special memories with friends and family. 
   Looking forward to hearing from you, 

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels