Wednesday, December 7

Contentment Is An Inside Job 12/7/11

Image: "Sunrise" by Tim Blessed. Copyrighted material. Used by permission
      Good evening!
Did you have a good day? Mine was pretty good.  I enjoy the community we share when I hear from you. What has you grateful?  I'm sometimes hesitant about the focus placed upon happiness.

      Usually it's based upon external details---having enough money, a relationship, the right job, friends, education or owning the ideal house, things, you name it. Media and Madison Ave. want us to believe this falsehood. 

      But, it's not true. Life if full of people with plenty, and they are depressed, unhappy.  Look at today's celebrities, for example. Demi Moore just ditched her husband two weeks ago and she's already in a relationship with another.  Her soon to be ex-husband was no better.  Together, they are worth over 280 million. Yet, that wasn't enough, he sowed his oats with a young girl. Too bad. It looks like he was hurting, emotionally and spiritually.

      Give me contentment, any day.  It is something I can have at all times.  Even in difficult circumstances I can enjoy it.  Tough times help me grow; trials intensify the need for reliance on God. It deepens my relationship with Him.  Contentment is an inside job.

      The same is true with loneliness. Recently, in a class I taught there was the question about us being lonely.  Honestly, the last time I felt lonely were a few times, in my teens, many years ago.  I've been alone, but not lonely.

      I found we are lonely when we cease to be at peace with ourselves. I'm with people all the time, by the nature of my work. Being alone is a wonderful tonic for me.

      Alone time allows me to study, pray, reflect, meditate, ruminate, exercise (when I run, walk or use the gym.).  Alone time allows me to invest in myself.  Without it, I run in the red: my emotional, spiritual and mental bank accounts become bankrupt---I'm giving, but not nurturing yours truly. 

       Alone time is not about isolating. Nope. I'm mindful of an old proverb that tells me that he who separates himself from others goes against all sound wisdom.  Once recharged, I'm out in the world, using my gifts to benefit others and provide for my needs.  Also:
 9 Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. 10 For if [a]either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not [b]another to lift him up. 11 Furthermore, if two lie down together they [c]keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? 12 And if [d]one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.                               Ecclesiastes, chapter 4
My Gratitudes for Today: 
.
1.  I'm thankful for friends. I have friends I've known for decades.

     I keep my friends, although I had to let go of one friend recently. I didn't like how he tried to tell me what my moods were and define who I was, another form of judging.  I had enough of that as a child and young adult.

2. I'm thrilled when spending time with my sons. 

    I'm proud of their efforts. They are coming to their own standing in the world. Hearing their reports, about their struggles, victories and growth as they pursue their goals, makes me a happy dad. 

    My role with them at this stage in their life is being their cheerleader, letting them know how much I am proud of them.  I support them every time I can.
3.  I'm thankful my computer crashed, causing me to lose much of what I wrote for this post.  Not because that happened. No. 

     Blogger didn't save what I wrote, and it was extensive.  I'm not happy about what happened; but I'm thankful that the crash allows me to practice patience.  I asked myself, "How important is it, to get upset about what happened?"  Not much, in the scheme of things. There are bigger problems to tend to.

4. I mindful of God's provision.  My job is not my source of provision.  God is. My paychecks are not my source of provision. He is.

     I save myself from a lot of worries when keeping the right perspective.  I do the best I can.  I try living a balanced life.  I ongoingly inventory areas where I want to grow.  I use the resources of mentors, literature, valued, faithful friends and family to help me get there.  

     And I pray and dream a lot.  It's great knowing that I don't have to go through struggles of this life alone.  I look forward to---not fear---tomorrow's sunrise.

     Please let me know your thoughts,

2 comments:

ScooterSim said...

Ahh, yes, practicing patience. I always liked the line from the movie Evan Almighty where "God" is talking with "Joan" and says "when someone prays for patience, do you think God gives them patience; or does He give them opportunities to practice patience?" I am grateful for the all the trials and tribulations I and my family have gone through this year. It has helped to bring us focus, helped us to commit to who and what we are. And it has helped us learn to be content.

Pablo said...

Paul, Scooter Sim, it's terrific hearing from you! You must have known I was thinking of calling you yesterday. And, here you are.

You have my support. This was a challenging year for you and your kin. Thanks for dropping by, reading and commenting!

Good stuff, you share in your post.

Hope to see you soon!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels