Monday, December 19

Intensity Defined: Engaged In a Suicidal Drama 12/19/11

“I find that the more willing I am to be grateful for the small things in life, the bigger stuff just seems to show up from unexpected
sources, and I am constantly looking forward to each day with all the surprises that keep coming my way!” 
Louise L. Hay
         In yesterday's post, too tired, I was. I went to bed shortly after getting home from work. Emotionally drained, I was exhausted and unable to share the following story. I'm feeling better now, so here it is. (By the way, this morning I elaborated on Sunday's gratitudes. You might want to check them out.)

****************************
        Last night, I had a successful but dramatic session with a client. I welcome challenges provided by my job, but some exhaust me more than others. Yesterday, that happened. However, I'm thankful for occasions when I make my life count.
        Upon entering my office, the client calmly told me he was thisclose to being suicidal.  Working in a psychiatric hospital for nine years allows me to respond calmly, to stay present. Avoiding emotional reactions to the what ifs and could be's in an emergency. 
       The client and I looked at alternatives. It helped him overcome the despairing and startling outlook that he had.
        Our time was effective, thank God.  I'll still have him check in with me, this week. He was advised to call 911 and ask for help if he feels this way again and can't find support.
        Today, looking back at this session,  I'm mindful of the following words. I first quoted them in the post: "Hope for Dark Times."
In the face of seemingly impossible problems, it's easy to believe that our most negative thoughts reflect the truth. They plead the worst case scenario in a very convincing way, until it almost seems frivolous to consider a positive outcome. Yet the loudest voice is not necessarily the truest. 
No matter how insistent a feeling may be, it is just a feeling, not a prophecy. We don't get to know today what will happen tomorrow.  Counting on any particular outcome can lead to disappointment, but sometimes it helps to remember that a positive outcome is just a likely as a negative one. 
We are powerless over the results of our actions.  We can  try to make wise choices today, but what will happen in  the future is out of our hands.  Since we can't know what to expect, why not trust that God can use whatever happens to further our growth. Today, I will place the future in God's hands.  I trust that by turning it over, it can be used for my good. 
                  Courage to Change, p260
*********************************************
'This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.'
                                                       Ralph Waldo Emerson
       I hope these quotes lifts the spirits of those burdened with troubles and anxieties.  May the thoughts expressed here allow you to have an Attitude of Gratitude.  Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That news from one of your clients is downright terrible. Most likely it is a desperate CRY for sympathy and help from you. I find the definiton of drama as, "the world is solely about what is going on with me". I bet the line between maintaining a professional stance and compassionately relating with a suffering other is slightly blurry during such moments. At least they are able to admit that they need help. I find awareness to be one of the most important things for my well-being.

Pablo said...

Thanks for dropping by! I'm sorry I missed this post.

If you would leave your name at the end of your comments, that'll help me know whom I'm addressing.

I'm in agreement with you: awareness is important for our growth. We can't change anything, until we first see the issue. On top of that is getting support from loving others.

I hope to see you again. Do you have any hopes for the upcoming year?

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels