Wednesday, June 8

A Scene from Home Improvement .......6/8/11


My gratitudes for today:
  Welcome to my friends from Denmark, Germany and Malaysia. I hope you are doing well. May I ask you to share your gratitudes? Please feel free to do so in your language, that would be terrific! Here's to having a great and grateful day. 

      This evening, I spoke for a half hour. Having a spiritual awakening, was the topic. No, it wasn't a church service. It was a public meeting for people who want to learn how to cope with the challenges they face in life. Many have friends, neighbors, co-workers or family members who are addicts, alcoholics or people who are controlling, perfectionistic, skilled manipulators or emotionally abusive. Other than that,
the audience members have pretty good lives. :->

      It's the first time I've used the same subject for three different audiences. It's similar to performing a play;
each time I've talked on this subject, it's come out differently. Tonight's opportunity was a last minute arrangement. They needed someone to speak and I helped out. This is a subject that's been incubating within my mind for several months. So, it was easy to give.

   It's a subject not frequently discussed. The audience was receptive, in fact a few cried when they shared their responses.

1. It's gratifying hearing an audience's reaction to any talk I give; last night they did so for thirty minutes.  I'm never certain if what I say is what others will hear. It's good knowing last night was a time where that happened. 
2. I'm thankful for those of you who drop by and share your comments, insight, gratitudes and your concerns for the innkeeper. I know that community keeps me connected to this world; it prevents me from just living within my head. It also allows me to grow----I learn when I'm with others, if I keep an open mind.  
3. I picked up my car from the auto shop. I'm thankful to be able to get around town. The simple things we take for granted. I enjoy my independence, and the freedom to go wherever I want. I grateful for the spontaneity available when we have a car.
4. I had a great talk with my mechanic. We spoke for more than forty-five minutes. He kept his shop open, longer, so that we could talk. We spoke about music, playing the guitar, the Italian language and about cars. It's surprising the places where moments of connection can be found.

Hanging Out With a Group of Guys

      I visited and ate dinner with a group of men who had attended tonight's event. I know the routine, what it's like to be with men, since I'm of that species and was a former jock at one time.  But, it's not something I've done in a long while, going beyond five years, probably longer. It was interesting hearing men converse. It was as if I was in a scene from the television series, "Home Improvement."  There was no Tim Allen-like grunting, though. Darn it.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels