Thursday, December 25

My Favorite Christmas Story... 12/25/14

Today's illustrations are from my favorite
Christmas book,The Christ Child, Illustrated
by Miska and Maud Petersham 
     Merry Christmas.  I hope each guest of this inn had a lovely day.  I did.  What is Christmas?  Nope, it isn't about gifts.  It's about one Gift,
Christ.  This holiday is about God taking on human form, dwelling among us, full of grace and truth.  (John 1:14) I know for many this is no longer true.

     Thank you, for visiting this year. Inspired and encouraged, is my
hope, each time your drop by, taking a break from life's demands.  What Christmas gift do I offer?  How about serenity?

      It is possible when we do what we can, letting go of the results. We entrust them to God.  Our best effort for today is good enough. (Courage to Change, p. 9)

     Worry avails little.  Lighting a candle--- doing something constructive, being in the solution---is better than cursing the darkness.  Constant complaining and fear----where's the growth in that?  You're right, there's none.

     The gift of joy I wish for you.  It's available.  Really.  It's about perspective, where we place our thoughts.  My life growing up was difficult, more than you would imagine.  Yet, as you know, my life is full of joy, wonder, hope and fulfillment.  This can be your lot, too, for....
  "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."    Proverbs 23:7
     Perhaps abundance is lacking.  With the economy as it is, it's easy worrying about the stability of the future.  While I don't have a crystal ball, I know who holds the future.  My confidence is in Him.  Neither my job nor my paycheck is my provision.  God is.  Wow.

      My faith is NOT in faith.  That's folly.  Blind faith is dangerous. I've learned where I place my faith, matters.  No matter how tentative and insecure it may be, when placing my toes on four foot thick slab of ice, as I see it's ability to support me, my trust in it strengthens.  If I were to see a Zamboni---you know, those truck-like devices that smooth out the ice on hockey rinks---racing up and down the surface, my trust increases.

       On the other hand, I could have all the faith in the world, while stepping on a 1/8th of an inch thick sheet of ice covering a lake.  Fervent faith doesn't prevent me from crashing through, getting soaked and miserable.

       It is not the intensity of my faith---my faith in faith---but the object in which I place it, that matters.  

       For me, it's been the God of my understanding, the great "I Am,"  the God of Abraham, Isaac and Joseph.  He consistently demonstrates unwavering love, since my youth till now.  His nature is patient, gracious, full of truth and gentle forgiveness.

      My wish for you this Christmas is you discovering, if you haven't already, the gift of a personal loving relationship with God.  The Wise Men sought Him, lo, many years ago.  May you discover Him, too, is my prayer.

      He awaits you to invite Him to enter your life, entrusting it to Him.  You'd discover the peace, joy and serenity if you do.  I know.  I did this as a young man of fourteen.  He has never left since. He has makes it possible to enjoy the  peace and serenity I have, even during difficult circumstances.

                           May your Christmas be  great and grateful

                                                

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels