Saturday, July 26

A Lesson In Perseverance 7/26/14

     Saturdays can be a day of weariness.  I feel the weight of a busy, demanding week.  Serving others, dealing with depression, suicidal ideation, abusive relationships, OCD and anxiety takes its toll upon the innkeeper.

     Sleep seduced me.  I spent more time with her this morning.  Good.  A thousand pounds of
exhaustion pulled me into the mattress, almost breaking my bed.  It seemed that way.  I barely arose, when the day screamed for my attention.  Little did I know the demands I would face this evening.

     I met with clients today.  Not a common occurrence.  Work requires pacing myself.  I took care of myself in the afternoon, playing the guitar with a friend.  Actually I taught a lengthy guitar lesson. That was fun, tapping into creative parts of me that are often neglected.  Research and preparing for clients consumes my time, if I am not diligent about taking care of the little Pablo within.

     The day was full, with an unexpected twist in the evening.  I looked forward to attending a monthly event.  It would include hearing inspiring speakers.  I needed the lift, going with a friend.  The attendance was sparse.  Before the first person spoke, "Bob" who helped organize the event saddled up to my table.  You guessed it.  He asked if I would speak.

      I was not happy, resentful even.  I was peeved, especially since he greeted me an hour and fifteen minutes earlier.  He sat  at my table, while I ate dinner, chatting with me and my friend.  Not a word did he breathe about needed a speaker.  I have a need for fairness and told him so.  After being clear on this point, I agreed, asking for paper.  It was provided.

     While the other fellow spoke, I wrote a five point outline, along with nine references, an introduction and conclusion.  In the space of twenty-five minutes I was done.  My rule of thumb during crises is do my best, leave the results up to God.

      After being introduced, I strode to the microphone, notes in hand.  Within seconds I was fine, in my element.  I have been a public speaker for more than twenty years, since ten years old, when I ran for school secretary.  Later, I served in school government, speaking at assemblies. During my teen years through adulthood I have been involved in public service, requiring talks at least once a week, often before two hundred and fifty people or more.

    As I mentioned here, talking before others is like theater, which I did in high school.  Saturday night turned out well.

Gratitudes for Saturday:
1.  I rested by sleeping in. It allows me to think clearly.
2.  From a friend I received support.  I am thankful when that happens.  Being a professional caregiver, it is nice being on the receiving side.  She listened to me as I shared concerns that troubled me.  I appreciated her compassion.
3.  That years of research and outlining paid off tonight, when I did unexpected public service.
4.  From the feedback I got after I spoke, I am glad was able to encourage those who attended.  I am mindful of the quote from Emerson on your right.  If I can help others, then it makes my efforts worthwhile.
5.  That even though I forgot what was written in this space earlier, I did not give up. Determination and persistence is necessary to accomplish anything.
In the conflict between water and a rock in a stream, the water wins, not by strength, but perseverance. 
How About You?
When was the last time you were surprised?  For me, you heard mine: asked at the last moment to give a talk.  

1 comment:

Thumper said...

It was kind and courageous of you to agree to speak at your event at the last minute. I recently received a less than ideal surprise. I am trying to detach from the situation and not let it define me.

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels