Friday, January 13

Hope for the Past: Overcoming Negative Legacies ............1/13/12

Image: "Countryside: Wheat Flower" by Tim Blessed. Used by permission.
 All rights reserved. Copyrighted photo. Photo added to this post 3/4/12 
     If you have not read the post written earlier tonight, you might want to. I wrote the ten month anniversary post. In it are some surprises. 
Gratitudes for Friday the Thirteenth!
1. Writing, I love writing. 
     Even though it can be aggravating, when trying to express myself. It's also fun: like a Rubik's Cube. It can be
a challenge, attempting to placing the right words in the correct place while crafting my thoughts.
      The beauty of this form of self-expression is that it allows the release of ideas and emotions trapped within, and it's cathartic.
2. Many are dropping by. I appreciate you keeping me company.
3. I'm thankful for the colors maroon, purple and bright yellow. 
4. I admire friends who improve their lives.  It is especially remarkable when others tell them they are doing well---they shouldn't put themselves out. 
4. I love smiles from babies, older couples holding hands and I celebrate the friends who demonstrate integrity. 
5. I'm thankful for having the freedom to be me, even if others may get confused or disagree. I don't take for granted the healing I know as a result of standing in my power, personal growth and integrity.  (For more, please click here.)
6. I'm indebted to God, knowing his amazing, gentle, tender, forgiving love and the fact He let's me know his compassion for me each day, especially when I fail. 
 Hope For the Past
     I cherish knowing there's hope for my past. Along with it, there's freedom from unhealthy, generational, family legacies. Sometimes it requires support from others and hard work to overcome their scars. 
     If the past drips into the present, it is no longer the past. It is the present. We can return to the past as easily as it is remaining in the present. 
     When necessary, I can revisit my history, doing what's necessary to heal past hurts and strengthen areas where my younger self was hurt. I know tools that allow me to move beyond what could cripple me, emotionally. 
      Let me know if you want to learn how to have freedom from depression, bitterness, anxiety and scars from the past. 
       I'll leave you with the following quote I've posted elsewhere:
      Facing the past as it may surface in my life today doesn't mean I have to stay stuck in it. I can let the healthy power of [working on unpleasant issues] to help me feel my old, buried emotions and then put them where they belong---in the past.  Coming to terms with my history and letting go of it does not deny what happened. Instead, it allows me to enjoy today and to move into the future, unencumbered by the weight of ancient emotions. 
        Every time I use [healthy principles] to work through old feelings, [and create healthy alternatives,] I give myself the chance to have a better today.
Hope For Today, p. 27
How About You? 
1. Do you enjoy writing? 
2. What do you think about the idea that there's hope for our past painful legacies? 
3. How do you overcome negative legacies? 

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels