Saturday, April 23

Gratitude for God's Gift of Grace and Forgiveness


    
      Here it is, the day before Easter. This holiday is not about bunny rabbits, chocolate candy, easter eggs or Easter Baskets.  Nor is it about wearing fancy clothes to church, collection plates or stained-glass windows in churches or cathedrals.

      Sorry, but that is not what this special holiday, central to Christianity's claims, is about. Easter relates with something grander, the resurrection of the Savior, Jesus Christ.  Over the past week I saw a commercial touting Buzz Lightyear balloons for this holiday. Now, I like Buzz Lightyear. But, he has nothing to do with Easter. How tragic, something deeply significant for the Christian faith has degenerated into a time where cultural icons are celebrated, that have nothing to do with spirituality, and Christianity in particular.

      When I was in college I encountered Senior students, at a world-famous university,  who did not know who were Adam and Eve. So, I won't assume everyone is familiar with the holiday celebrated tomorrow by many Christians and others who practice other faiths. Suffice it to say, Easter commemorates Christ's resurrection from the dead. What I write, I ask you to take what you like, and leave the rest. It's not my intention to convert you----that's not my job. I simply want to inform you about some basics about this central day in the Christian calendar.

      Christ made many claims, one of which, was that He was God and the Son of God. He staked all He taught on one test. He told those who listened to his teachings, twenty one hundred years ago, to one proof.  He said, that after He died, he would arise again, after three days.  In Christian literature---the Bible----we read that Christ was crucified on a Friday, after a trumped up trial done at night.

      Roman Centurions were posted at the tomb, where Christ was buried. The soldiers were to guard his tomb, at the penalty of their own lives, if they failed. They were to prevent anyone from stealing Christ's body. The Jewish rulers asked the  Roman authority, the Governor Pontius Pilate, to assign this guard.  They were aware of Christ's claim, and desired to prevent any rumor of Christ's resurrection from occurring. They did not want anything to validate the teaching of this man from Nazareth.

      On Sunday, three days after his death, Christ's tomb was found empty.  Shortly afterwards, Jesus of  Nazareth appeared to 500 witnesses. Just as important as his resurrection is the significance of it. Christ conquered the power of death, but for three days he was dead. Christ was God's sacrifice, the Lamb of God.

       On His shoulders, while he hung in agony on the cross,  the sins of all mankind were placed. These sins, past, present and future were paid for, in His death. Christ had to be man, so that he could empathize with our frailties and needs. He also needed to be God, so that his death would be worthy substitution for the multiple millions who place their faith in Him.

My gratitudes for today:

1. I'm humbled that Christ died for my sins. I'm grateful for His sacrifice on my behalf. I rebelled against him, as a youth. That did not stop Him from wooing me. I'm in awe of his patience with me, overlooking my arrogance, when I thought I could live by my power alone. There is no humility in self-will. 

2. I'm thankful for the spiritual power available to us when we rely on His strength. In our own strength we are unable to live the life we want, nor overcome the areas where we struggle.

3. I'm thrilled that Christ rose from the dead, over two thousand and eleven years ago.He overcame not only physical death, but spiritual death as well.

4. I'm glad that all who call upon His name, can share the same experience as the many multitudes who believe in Christ. Any new believer will discover the power of His resurrection.

3 comments:

cindyR said...

!. He is Risen Indeed!!! I am blessed to know and follow Jesus Christ!
2. I am blessed that my family knows and follows Him!
3. I am grateful that I could spend time with my family today and with my church family this morning.
4. I know that I can do all things through
Christ who strengthens me!!

It's great to catch up with you again, Mr Innkeeper! I enjoyed our chat, it felt like old times my left coast friend! Hope that your day was a celebration of your life in Christ!

Pablo said...

Cindy, my dear,

It's my pleasure, knowing you, too. I'm so glad you made it to this inn, the refurbished version of the Attitude of Gratitude Inn. It wasn't an accident we met at SSS.

Happy Easter to you! I get to enjoy for three more hours than you, since I live on the Left Coast. I echo your thanks for today. I saw the Lamb cake you made. What a terrific tradition your mother started! You are an amazingly talented when it comes to baking. Wow!

Posts like yours make what I do here, worthwhile. Please drop by, again, soon. I intend to start a SSS Community type of blog soon. Check in again. Next time you do, it may be up and running.

This is a friendly place. I reply to all who post, as do others,like Kelly, Phyllis and Thag.

Blessings to you and your family.

Dear Thag,

You've mail. I just sent it. Now, I expect some fun. :-P

Josiah said...

Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down and I have power to take it again. This commandment I have received of my Father.
John 10:17,18

...I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die...
John 11:25,26

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels