Thursday, April 21

Making Amends & Being Gentle Towards Self ....... 4/21/11

     I hope this post is helpful.  It deals with an important subject----making amends. This is different and more effective than apologizing, which is merely
uttering words. Amends is a source for emotional and psychological relief. 
  "Friendship is a plant of slow growth, that must endure many seasons of adversity, before it is worthy of that appellation."  Geo. Washington
    This has been an amazingly fulfilling, satisfying, wonderful week.  How have things gone for you?  It's rewarding, having the support of caring friends and family members.  I enjoy the growth that's possible when I place principles above areas in my personality that are vulnerable.

     Earlier today, I met with a dear friend I've known for more than 30 years.  I learned, as a result of our meeting, there are issues requiring correction in my relationship with his wife. They are matters that happened more than fifteen years ago.  I had no idea.

Yikes!  Wow, even.  In such times, I like Goethe's perspective:

Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
     This stormy subject surfaced, while spending time with my friend. I scrounged up the courage to discuss the issue, after we had lunch.  I was glad we could talk about it. I plan on taking steps to resolve it, leaving the outcome is in God's hands, not mine. I've already gunked up the works.

Being Responsible
     Not only do I take responsibility for my behavior, I only focus on cleaning my side of the street. This is true even if my part----in my biased perspective----created only one percent of the problem.  I take ownership and clean that portion, never minding that the other person is 99 percent wrong. This is making amends and does wonders to easing out of a stormy situation with another

     The other person's response is irrelevant.  Expecting a positive reaction sets me up for disappointment.

      Also, I do not make amends for the other person's sake.  I do them for mine.  It frees me from the weight of guilt.  There is a key piece when dealing with an area where I was wrong.  I ask the person, "what can I do to make this right?"

     To their reply I heed.  If possible, I do their bidding, as best I can, if possible.  In most causes, taking these restorative steps strengthens the relationship.  Like the pottery above, the mending where the relationship was fractured actually enhances it.

     Having gone through this process adds beauty to our relationship.  Now, we are beyond surface-level conversations.  We are real with one another.  Our friendship is far greater than simply a title we give those following us on Facebook.

     Weathering the storm of adversity between us, allows us to experience a new level of intimacy.  We have stood for ourselves (demonstrating our true values, through our corrective behavior) while not standing against our fellows (From Survival to Recovery, p 269 ) Authenticity and integrity, qualities rarely enjoyed when connecting with others, is ours, when making sincere amends.

     One caveat. We don't take action that may cause injury to the person approached or others. "Others" includes us.  Sometimes indirect amends through changed behavior serve us best.     This is where it's good getting feedback from my Balcony People.

Being Gentle Towards Myself, When I Goof
       I know it's crucial that I don't avoid doing what I can can, to right a situation, in order to spare myself discomfort.  That only creates more guilt and stymies my healing.  I'm comforted knowing that when I see an area needing growth, I don't need to berate myself. (For more about being gentle towards ourselves, you can read here.)   It simply reveals I'm getting healthier.  I see area of growth that I was unable to see before.

       Wow, life is good.  I'm thankful for heals an area of perception that were damaged as a child.  In my family of origin, it was frowned upon to admit mistakes.  I was punished when I confessed errors.
 
        I'm thankful, knowing now, that I am not what I do.  I'm loved by God and friends because of who I am, faults characterological warts included.  I am free to be myself.  Being courteous, considerate, kind and loving are the qualities I want reflected in my life.  Other than that, I'm free to be whoever I choose to be.

3 comments:

ScooterSim said...

Good message. You never cease to amaze me with your insight and flexibility and living what you believe.

Miss chatting with your regularly.

Pablo said...

Thank you Paul, for your generous words. They mean more to me than you can ever know. It's wonderful seeing you here. Please come back soon. I asked you some questions in last night's post. Did you see them?

Doña said...

Making amends????? Whoa, this is new to me. I have forgiven and apologized and changed my behavior but have never offered making amends. Instead, what I did was punish myself for many years. That was costly and ineffective. I can’t imagine anyone ever making amends to me (although it would be so wonderful! It seems like the stuff of legends!) I will have to initiate this; it sounds like a wonderful way to heal trespasses and wounds in relationships. Thank you, Innkeeper! Onto the mastery of Love!

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels