Wednesday, April 27

Emotional Safety: Using Verbal Aikido: Taking Care of Self (Not letting others trigger our vulnerabilities.) ..4/27/1


      How is everyone? I'm glad seeing visitors from Malaysia, Iran, Brazil, Russia and Singapore dropping by. Today, we have newcomers from Australia. Welcome!. I'd enjoy hearing your gratitudes. The number of visitors from Malaysia have grown over the past week. Happy to see you here; I'm glad that this inn meets your needs. Of course, I'm glad to know that my friends from Canada and the U.S. also visit this inn, too.

Taking Care of Ourselves 
       I just got in. I spoke this evening on growing in our personal power and integrity versus whining. Afterwards, I spent time with friends who showed up to hear my talk.  The time in a cafe with them reminded me of my collegiate days. I sipped on steamed milk while taking part in an animated conversation with a woman that encompassed the subject of her unfaithful boyfriends, death, sociopathy and using verbal Aikido.

       Aikido is how I described my reaction to an experience I had earlier today.  It's staying present, when experiencing negative energy coming our way. It's deflecting it, without harming the other person. It's not allowing another person's unhealthy comments or behavior to gouge us. Verbal Aikido protects us emotionally, spiritually and psychologically..

      This type of emotional martial arts is staying in the moment, keeping our emotional balance, responding, not reacting while in the midst of a tense situation. It allows us to maintain our emotional sobriety. Emotional safety is likelier  when we exercise boundaries in a caring way. When assassinated verbally, it's helpful saying,
"We need to put a bookmark in this conversation. I need to process what you've said."
And then run outside and scream. :->   Actually,  I'm not a screamer; although, it's okay doing so, if it helps. I process difficult moments with others by talking it over with my Balcony People. (For more information about them click here.) I might exercise or journal about the situation. More importantly, I spend time with God, yielding my frustrations over to His loving care.

        Today, I was with someone who had an emotional meltdown and was abusive in the process. Knowing what to do, when it happened, made this innkeeper grateful. At first, it's not easy practicing principles, but  life is more enjoyable when we detach, not taking it personally when we relate with others who create drama.  A person's behavior is more a statement about them, not me. For further insight into Emotional Bullies, click here or here.


       The bully I wrote about a month ago, showed up at where I spoke this evening. After talking with several people in the audience, I looked around, he was gone. It was a relief not having to be vigilant.

       I'm tired, I'm going to bed, after this post. The emotional demands of the day wore me out. I'm in H.A.L.T.. I'm taking care of it by hitting the hay.
1. I'm speaking this Friday on having a Spiritual Awakening.  I'm grateful for the support I enjoy when I give a talk.  Several friends will join me when I speak at this place I've never spoken at before.

2. I'm thankful for writing. It forces me to be concise. It's more work than you might imagine. Especially for me, I wasn't an English major. I'm usually a public speaker. To write is an entirely different animal. The results are not as ephemeral as a talk. I have to slow down when I write, which is a good thing.

3. I'm grateful for the strength I receive when I settle down, keep my emotional balance and spend time in His Presence.

"Be still [the word is shalom, in the Hebrew] and know I'm God."  Ps 46:10

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Writing is a gift, in and of itself, isn't it?

Let me see...gratitudes....

I'm grateful my dad is willing and able to work on my car. I'm grateful that I don't really need it right now, anyway. I'm grateful that the semester is almost over.

Pablo said...

Kelly,

It's so good to see you again! I enjoy hearing from you. Hurray for your dad. I love reading your gratitudes. Good luck with your studies and your upcoming tests. You've my prayers. Please drop by again.

Regarding writing, the writer Leo Tolstoy once remarked that every time he dipped his pen in the inkwell on his desk, he left some of his blood in the inkwell.

I write because I'm constrained to do so. My fingers ache when I don't write. My fingers wrestle with my mind. They demand that the words that are within them be set free through the silent letters you read in the posts I write,as the innkeeper. It's arduous, yet fulfilling. I yield to the demands of my fingertips and my fountain pen caresses a sheet of paper. Or,like now,I allow my fingers to dance across my keyboard.

Kelly said...

Good ol' Tolstoy.

In my (humble) opinion, when writing becomes habitual, that is when our voice is able to come to the surface. When I write because it is time, it gives me a chance to practice without feeling like I am being forced. Doing anything on a daily basis will develop and build upon skills.

Pablo said...

Kelly,

I'm glad to see you're communicating. How does it feel for you, when you get support online? Are you happy because you relate with people who treat you nicely? You are blessed to have several people online who support you.

You may want to invest in yourself by reading Courage to Change, daily. Characterological change, for the better, does not happen haphazardly. Btw, page 359 will help you in your dealings with Jermaine. Really, and big time.

Remember to pray,

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels