Saturday, April 2

Wealth : True Friends and Plenty of Joy ....... 4/2/11

“We can be thankful to a friend for a few acres or a little money; yet for the freedom and of the
 whole earth, and for the  benefits of our being, our life, health, and reason, we look up ourselves
 as under no obligation.”— Marcus Annaeus Seneca   
    Good evening everyone,
I'm getting in my gratitudes for today, before the witching hour of midnight. As most of you know, I ask you to please share three things for which you are grateful. If you are a newbie to this place, I'll give you a deal: just share one thing for which you are grateful. It will help you to develop your gratitude muscles.

"A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance:
  but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken."
                      Proverbs 15:13
Here are mine:
1. I love my life.It has never been more satisfying. I went to the store last night to get groceries. The cashier asked, "how are you?" My answer: " I'm doing so well that if it got any better, I don't think I could stand it!" 

    The basis for that answer? Well, I'm loved, cared for and have many loving, accepting friends. I don't keep friends who judge others. Someone has said, "To observe without judgment is the highest form of wisdom." I agree.

    My friendships don't just happen; they take time to grow. Lee Iaccoca said, "if a man dies and he had five friends, he was a wealthy man." I agree.  I've more than five.

    Then again, many of them have been nurtured over thirty five, twenty-five, fifteen and eight years. I'm not talking about acquaintances. I'm thinking of those who would help me me at 2:00 a.m., if necessary. I know they would die for me, if necessary.  And I, for them.

     I've only lost a few friends that way. (Kidding.)  More importantly, I'm thankful for the loving, patient, relationship I have with God and my family. I'm fortunate.

     Much of my serenity and sanity is due to incarnational ambassadors of God's love. I thankful that I don't know God's love just cognitively. Nope, I enjoy His love through friends and family. A listening ear from an insightful friend does wonders.

 "A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."  Jewish proverb
      Getting out the negative emotions and thoughts bubbling within me, when I talk with a friend diminishes their power. Order and clarity is created. I attain clarity.

2. I took a nap. I was in halt.  I halted, remedying the problem. See my previous postt if you don't know what I mean.
3. I saw a great movie, a historical film. I enjoy quiet moments, taking in new information.
4. I'm thankful for joy. Much of it is due to a perspective I've developed over the past seven years. It allows me to look at my options when in the midst of drama and to take care of myself.
5. I celebrate the viewers who've dropped by since this place opened March 13th. I'm glad this place encourages visitors. It makes what I do here, as the innkeeper of this blog worthwhile.
6. I'm glad God controls this universe, not me. I'm constantly reminded by the media of the severe problems this world faces. Think of the devastation that is going on in Japan, for instance.  I'm thankful for the following quote: 
"If we keep our face towards the sun
 we won't see much of darkness."

I'm humbled when I'm remember Helen Keller said this.

7.  I'm grateful for the comments posted by friends. Thank you.

No comments:

Quotes from the Posts

"I'm mindful that our thoughts affect the words we use, our words influence our actions, our actions shape our character and our character determines our destiny."

From "My Character Determines My Destiny." To read it, please click here.

"Progress not perfection, is better than no progress at all, especially when we're trying to rid ourselves from unwelcome dragons that dwell within the closets of our soul."

From, "Still Learning" which, within four days, became the most popular post
written. To read it, please click here.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, but it does empty today of its strength"
From the post: "Life Is Not a Correspondence Program." Click here to read it.

"Even though we cannot control our circumstances, we can control how we choose to respond to them."

From, "Handling Stress and Dealing With an Emotional Bully."Click here to read this post.

"Nope, being busy isn't exciting. Boring is good. Because boring is not boring; boring is being healthy, living a balanced life that has serenity"

From: "Do You Know What It Means If You Are Too Busy?" For more, please click here.

Labels